Submitted by Stefan Johansson, posted on May 04, 2005

Image Description, by Stefan Johansson

TASpring is a new open source RTS game. We recently released the first version under the GPL and could use a few more active developers to work on it. A few features include
  • Import units from the old RTS Total Annihilation
  • Deformable map
  • Support land units,ships,aircrafts,hovers,anti grav units
  • User creatable AIs
  • Working multiplayer
  • Webpage at taspring.clan-sy.com

NCCAChris

May 04, 2005, 07:46 PM

looking very sweet!

i love some of the vids on the website - esp the air dogfight one - I can just imagine the dogfights with 100's of aircraft like in the original TA.

pDK

May 04, 2005, 08:43 PM

Wow... I love this project.

I am not one to comment on POTD images... but I made a special effort to do so for this one.

I really love the idea of bringing back TA... I really can not wait to see what ideas your team may have to improve this favorite of mine!

Keep us informed!

shadowman131

May 04, 2005, 09:17 PM

Total Annihilation is AWESOME and if you can fix the various multiplayer/AI bugs,... Wow. You'll have quite the RTS :)

Looks REALLY good btw

zed zeek

May 04, 2005, 11:39 PM

for some reason i feel this to be the most realistic terrain ive seen (i cant quite put my finger on why though)

Jacco Bikker

May 05, 2005, 01:07 AM

I think the terrain looks so good because of the shadows, the excellent sky box, and the distance fog that blends the two. The layered texturing (height based, I suppose?) also is very much 'real life'. Looks like quite some thought went into the landscape generation btw.

Reedbeta

May 05, 2005, 02:18 AM

fog and shadows? =)

jbrads

May 05, 2005, 05:32 AM

cool, looks like you can even import the TA maps too!

Wernaeh

May 05, 2005, 05:37 AM

Hi there.

About the terrain, well,
    I guess it looks very similiar to the old Total Annihilation terrain - I guess it's the same (i.e. imported the bitmap and collision mesh) ?

It might use some updating though, at least in the upper screenshot it looks like its missing visual depth... (hard to explain, looks very flat front up)

The units do look very good though - especially the shadows.

Apart from that, I like the idea of doing a TA clone. TA was one of the few RTS games I really was fond of, mainly because it was quite easy to play and had lots of units to try. You should perhaps do something about the balance though, there were units that just did not serve any use in the original.

Good luck,
    - Wernaeh

Roel

May 05, 2005, 08:30 AM

That looks *really* awesome!

Dan Royer

May 05, 2005, 10:29 AM

I remember meeting original develpers of TA, they said the load times were awful because they reloaded every single resource, even though it was mostly redundant, because their computers were fast enough that it didn't matter to them :P

mite51

May 05, 2005, 11:58 AM

What are you looking for new developers to work on?

gabriel

May 05, 2005, 12:47 PM

An open source game with good graphics? Impossible!!!11!1!oneone!

Just kidding. Congratulations for the amazing work!

codeg

May 06, 2005, 08:41 AM

Omg yes! you legends!

wooooooo--hoooooooo!

**dances**

(TA is my favorite game of all time btw)

Yonaz

May 06, 2005, 11:00 AM

Looking really cool.

It's great how far you carried your idea. Usually such big undertakings tend to strand in diversity because one aimed too high. But this looks like you aimed high and got there! (or are at least on the best way there)

Keep up the great work, you have all my respect.

Michel Stol

May 06, 2005, 07:34 PM

Sweet!! Total Annihilation is still the best RTS ever imo. Please don't let this project die.

Greg Magarshak

May 06, 2005, 09:29 PM

Well that's about the best open source landscape engine I have ever seen! Good work!

-Greg

codeg

May 08, 2005, 01:35 AM

Hey

BlackLiger

May 09, 2005, 02:21 PM

codeg wrote: Hey Now I've played the game a bit more, I'm very impressed still, but there is one area I really feel there needs to be some work put in redesign. It's not really a fault of you guys work, more a fault of the transition from 2d to 3d. I ended up with the impression that the only thing really holding the engine back was the user interaction side of things. This basically came down to playing a 2D isometric style game in a full 3d environment (by that I mean TA in 3d). The Control system in TA was optimized specifically for that type of play, but I feel it falls short in your engine. One of the simplest problems was that the game requires a middle mouse button, and a scroll wheel. My middle mouse button is broken. So you can imagine it made things more difficult. The other problem, was that unit box selection was based on a screen space box. This was fine for 2D isometric, but is a lot less intuative in 3D. Selecting an axis aligned box on the terrain would work better (at least for ground units). How you go about this for air units I'm not sure. The other little thing that irritated me a bit was that unit selection boxes were very high. So small groups of units were hard to select. Some sort of user feedback would help here (eg, make the unit under the mouse glow all the time) But by far the camera control was the biggest issue in the game. The key's wern't intuative and wern't in the same places. WSAD + mouse is the way it should be done I feel. I'd use the half-life map editor, Hammer, as an example here, Absolutely everything you can do in that program can be done without moving your left hand from the WASD area and your right from the mouse. Doing a good user interface for a RTS is very, very hard in full 3D. And in my opinion there is only one game that has got it spot on (of all the 3D rts's that I've played). http://www.darwinia.co.uk/ is the game. I _really_ suggest you go have a play of it, it's way of doing camera and user interface is very different, but very cool and extremly efficient. Your ability to move the camera into really precise positions and places is quite amazing, simply because it's really intuative. Anyway. Overall, congratulations are in order. You guys have done a fantastic job.

The controls are easy. And Control and Backspace does the same base job as control and middle mouse, while the middle mouse roll does the same as the arrow keys.......

zOinks

May 11, 2005, 02:20 PM

There was a great article in Game Developer Magazine about Darwinia. Interview with the developers and everthing - a must read for Indie Inspiration!