Submitted by Dan Royer, posted on April 15, 2005

Image Description, by Dan Royer

Every tuesday morning I go to downtown Vancouver and I teach people how to program video games. Recently I demonstrated how to create an SDL window with OpenGL, and then began showing how to quickly get lots and lots of objects moving around the screen.

Funny thing, though, was that as I started to work it up in class I found the pointless little demo quite entertaining. It's good for... oh... 5 minutes, tops. Perfect for a quick work break to clear you head. Just do your best to survive as long as possible.

You can read more about it on the official Surrounded page.

Mikkel Gjoel

April 15, 2005, 12:09 PM

Very cool! :) 03:55!

Concept is excatly the same as "Crimsonland", that I've spend more time on than in any way justifiable!
( http://crimsonland.reflexive.com/crimsonland/ )

zed zeek

April 15, 2005, 03:15 PM

i cant download it, i get the message 'connection refused by peer' error
ive had this (very minor) problem for months
i get this when i try to download stuff from ftp:// but not from http://
eg take the nvidia developer site http://file.zip works but ftp://file.zip is refused

Aaron Wirtz

April 15, 2005, 04:40 PM

Quite likely, your default application for ftp transfers is doing the anonymous login improperly.

Or possibly you have a firewall (personal or otherwise) that is blocking or breaking your FTP traffic. (FTP is a protocol many firewalls have historically had trouble with)

Reedbeta

April 15, 2005, 10:52 PM

Vancouver, eh? Would that be Vancouver, Washington or Vancouver, British Columbia? I'm from the former =)

Dan Royer

April 16, 2005, 02:34 AM

Reedbeta - Vancouver, BC.

What perfect bloody timing, this IOTD appears while I'm participating in the Ludum Dare 48hr programming contest. I mean it's a case of I got good news and bad news, and it looks like they're the same news.

zRXer

April 16, 2005, 11:56 AM

I downloaded the game from your site. It installed and whatnot, but when I try to run the game, I breifly see the outline of a window entitle 'SDL_App' or somesuch, and then it closes. There is no error message or anything. This is the log:

C:danCodecia8file.cpp (16): Starting File
C:danCodecia8config.cpp (80): Config Start
C:danCodecia8window.cpp (105): Window Opening...
**ERROR**
C:danCodecia8window.cpp (131):
Video mode set failed: Unable to create GL context

Might be something on my end. As a note, I have a GeForce 4 4800 or something, and I am running two monitors. I have dual Xenon 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, and I am using Windows XP SP-2. Anyway, the screenshots look cool at least!

Dan Royer

April 16, 2005, 01:58 PM

zrxer - I can't test dual monitor set ups, but I'll see if the SDL documents say anything. thanks for the heads up.

Jari Komppa

April 17, 2005, 01:51 AM

works fine with my dual monitor setup (radeon9700)

Ash Matheson

April 17, 2005, 11:48 AM

Dan,

Where are you teaching at in Vancouver?

Dan Royer

April 17, 2005, 04:12 PM

Ash - I'm currently teaching at the College of Interactive Arts (recently renamed the Oxford college of interactive arts) and I'm looking for more teaching work.

Ash Matheson

April 17, 2005, 06:34 PM

I needs to change my account info.

OK Dan. I've heard of a couple of colleges that are looking for teachers.

Ai in Burnaby, for one. I'm meeting with them next week to talk about what they need to do in order to rebuild their games program (which fell apart when I left).

I'll keep you posted as to what's happening there. But the question is, do ya really want to work for Ai :)

Dan Royer

April 18, 2005, 02:16 AM

All depends on how far i have to travel, what they pay, and how much freedom I have to decide course material, etc.

email me through my website with your contact info and I'll give you a ring.

LordDelvin

April 18, 2005, 08:34 AM

6:04 :D
cool game!

Dan Royer

April 18, 2005, 01:53 PM

If anyone is interested I just competed in the Ludum Dare 48hr Programming Competition and this is my final entry:

an image of which is visible here:

So if you're a novice programmer try to make your game in 48 hours. Then spend 2 months polishing up the already playable game. I'm not saying it's a law or a rule. It's a suggestion.

HDTV

April 19, 2005, 07:56 PM

What do you mean when you say a novice should make a game in 48 hours and then spend 2 months polishing it?

Is it possible for a novice to make much of a game in 48hours?

Dan Royer

April 19, 2005, 11:37 PM

Most novices have big dreams and then they find they've spent 2 years programming with nothing to show other people. if you get your game working and *playable* in 48 hours then you can build on top of that with a real feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction...not to mention fanmail!

HDTV

April 20, 2005, 02:10 AM

Most novices don't have the skill to make something playable in 48 hours.

I think they should just concentrate on making something playable but not have to think it has to be playable in the first 48 hours.

I think that finishing something off 100% is more important and should be the aim of everyone whether they are a novice or pro, have you ever finished something 100%?