Submitted by XycsoscyX, posted on March 14, 2005

Image Description, by XycsoscyX

Here are, finally, some screens from my engine. The engine is still coming along nicely, for a hobby project. The first three rows show off the mods that I have put together for the engine. Yes, they are actually mods; they are zip files in the MODS folder in the engines data path. The engine loads the logic DLL from the mod (thanks to Joachim Bauch for his wonderful DLL loader code, so that I can load DLL's from memory), then searched for all data in the mod archive first, then the default data path after. It also loads a config file for the mod to know what level to start at. The screens of the mods have three pictures each, first showing normal rendering, then a glare post process filter, then an ASCII text post process filter. The engine can actually support many different post process filters, as I have it implemented in a modular way, I can derive my post process interface class, and add it to my screen list. As for the mods themselves, here is some info:
  • First, this shows off a simple shapes game I put together. Pickup the shapes and shoot them in their corresponding homes.
  • Second, this shows off a maze game I put together. Follow the maze to the end, and if you fall through a hole, you reappear back at the beginning.
  • Third, this shows of a tile game I recreated. Click tiles to clear out sections that have multiple touching tiles. More tiles cleared at once means more points.
  • The last four pictures are to show off some higher quality pictures, through Doom3 data. I have a Doom3 level format plug-in for the engine, so that I can load Doom3 levels, including plug-ins for LWO, ASE, and MD5 models, so that things can be loaded correctly in the level. Overall, performance is decent, though I only have a Raedon9600, so it really lags at higher resolutions. Also, the fours pics are glare, normal rendering, ASCII, and depth of field, though you can't see the depth of field as well in this smaller screen shot.

As for the engine, it uses deferred lighting, with support for diffuse and specular bump mapping. I also support an array of post processing filters, which is great since I also already have position information for each pixel on the screen (thanks to deferred lighting), so that I can support things like Depth of Field. Currently, I have a glare, depth of field, gamma correction, sepia/grayscale toner, and ASCII conversion filters. I also support dynamic shadow mapping, though I am working on a quick have for static light mapping in real time. Basically, I want to render the shadow maps for static lights when I load the level, without rendering dynamic objects. Then I'll have static shadow maps that I can use through out the level, they just won't include dynamic objects in the shadows, but I won't have to render the shadow information in real time anymore, which will speed things up considerably. Most of the engine is my own doing, though I do use zlib for ZIP archive support, DevIL for image decoding, Audiere for audio file decoding, and Newton for physics.

Lastly, I finally have a web site again, so I have the engine and mods available for download. http://www.hourglassdesign.net

RAZORUNREAL

March 14, 2005, 01:50 AM

Man, that is impressive! Is your glare filter high dynamic range or does it blur the bright values?

XycsoscyX

March 14, 2005, 02:11 AM

It actually just blurs the output image and adds it, so it's a pretty simple glare, but pretty effective while running, without hitting the performance too much. I looked into a true HDR glare, but that means adding the light passes to a floating point render target (another one), but that can't be done (on my Radeon 9600 at least) when using floating point targets. I can't use blending when using them, so I have to supply the render target itself as an additional texture, then add manually. I got this working before, but the performace hit wasn't worth it for just a glare effect when I could fake it nicely. =)

Erik Faye-Lund

March 14, 2005, 03:21 AM

looks good, but the glow/glare/bloom-filter doesn't really convince me. try subtracting something like from the rendertarget before blurring it, and then overbright during the blur. that way you won't end up adding blurred ambient colors etc.

Danny Chapman

March 14, 2005, 03:49 AM

Tried running your demo but it failed to find

mfc42d.dll
    and
    msvcrtd.dll

I found downloads for these, but still get a run-time error "The ordinal 5078 could not be located in the dynamic link library mfc42d.dll"....

knackered

March 14, 2005, 05:01 AM

GEKvX Software Error
    Method: CGEProcessASCII
    Locate: (58) sourceprocesscgekprocessascii.cpp
    Message: Unable to Load System Font

marco-we

March 14, 2005, 05:53 AM

knackered wrote: GEKvX Software Error Method: CGEProcessASCII Locate: (58) sourceprocesscgekprocessascii.cpp Message: Unable to Load System Font

I've got the same error. Just be sure to insert the correct path in the UI
    before starting the mod.

Truly amazing. The DOF-effect is a bit too blurry. I'd really like to
    see more mods ;)

knackered

March 14, 2005, 08:22 AM

Right, cheers.
    Now I'm getting "Unable to create new game" when selecting "new game" from the menu.

XycsoscyX

March 14, 2005, 01:38 PM

Ya, it's a bit picky about the input path when you run it. First off, if you're using the default path setup, you can leave the data path blank in the starting UI. The engine sets a default data path using ..Data as a path from the executable. Also, you must supply a mod name, just a name, only a name (ie, Blocks, Shapes, or Maze).

As for the glare, yes, it's a bit overbright, I just haven't tweaked it much yet. The depth of field effect has a circle of confusion paramater, I just have it set high so that it's more noticable, it can be lowered. When I rerelease the mods, I'll include the dynamic depth of field focal point in all of them. I don't think it's in them all currently, but some have it that I trace a ray, and set the focal point of the dof where your line of sight hits.

As for the dll's, sorry about that folks, I am uploading the release mode versions as I speak (I'll just overwrite the ones I have, so you can just download from the same link). I haven't tested the engine on any other computers, so I opted for debug so people can possibly track down bugs more easily, but hopefully the log can report what's going on.

Thanks for the comments everyone, I do have a bot mod in the works (using a Tron retriever as the bot model!), but I haven't worked with AI or path finding much, so it's a learning experience for me, so it's taking a little while to put together.