Submitted by David Grassi, posted on December 23, 2004

Image Description, by David Grassi

This is 4 screenshots from the game Black Sky, which is currently under development. Black Sky is a top-down 2d space game, that will be when done, a full blown action RPG. Right now it's being developed by me and only me, but people are starting to sign up on our forums and provide feedback.

The purpose of this project is for me to reach a life long goal of making a computer game, as well as making a great game in the sci-fi genre that seems to be suffering. I hope to re-kindle the magic that Star Control 2 and the Star Flight series had. If all else fails, at least I sure am learning alot!

Currently I'm using windows for key inputs, and OpenGL for my graphics API. It will run on any computer just about featuring a compatible OpenGL card.

Here are some features:
  • Fully functional particle engine.
  • Multi-texturing, with parallax textures and objects.
  • Partially complete 2d physics engine.
  • First of it's kind to be able to simultaniously track 2 targets, and fire on them indepently.
  • Future Features:
  • Dynamic event system, that can respond to ANY player input level, allowing the player massive amounts of options.
  • Massive galaxy of life and aliens, the player will be able to make relationships with these beings, or fight against them. The AI will be integrated to this, your relationships and the other NPC's responses will be extremly authentic and life like.
  • For the Official website of Black Sky, visit http://www.blackskygame.com

coda

December 23, 2004, 01:13 PM

Looking good. I wish I was that motivated. I just like visiting here to see the pretty pictures now-a-days.

codeg

December 23, 2004, 08:40 PM

*why did you have to post this now when I'm just about to go on holiday* nooooo! :)

looks very cool. You should be very proud of yourself.

surrealix

December 24, 2004, 02:35 AM

I picked up the demo from some other site a few days ago (I can't remember where now) and spent ages just flying around and enjoying the look and feel of it. The graphics are some of the best I've seen from a 2D space sim.

Very Impressive.

the flix

December 24, 2004, 05:40 AM

beautiful! 2d games rule!
    now create some missions and a basic story... c'mon! =)

codeg

December 24, 2004, 06:10 AM

Unfortunatly, your game doesn't seem to like this laptop..

But thats not surprising.. It's a duron 500 with an 'S3 Twister' graphics chip. :)

ohh well. will have to wait till I'm off my holiday.

sAmvdP

December 24, 2004, 07:39 AM

Truely incredible! Nice Graphics, low System requirements, fun to play, what else could one want?
    Hm, maybe suns with stylish lensflare effects and exploding ship fragments (instead of fading), but besides that :)
    *Two_thumbs_up*

MadHed

December 24, 2004, 05:06 PM

Kudos!
    Very nice, ran perfectly smooth.

Duron 900Mhz
    256 MB RAM
    Geforce2MX/MX400 64MB
    Windows XP Pro.

I noticed one "bug":
    When the ship is not full at rest, the text jumps like one pixel
    up and down all the time.

Keep it up!

Brandon Bloom

December 26, 2004, 01:06 PM

Pretty impressive stuff...

There seems to be a problem with the audio. The primary weapon has a very iritating noise (that's a bad thing for something that is heard so commonly) and it seems to choke up when there are a few explosions. The audio seemed to cut out and become choppy when i was firing the primary and turret while several aliens exploded.

Also, the menu button apparently is activated on mouse over with the mouse button held down. I was firing my turret near there, dragged over the button, and poof the menu came up. The correct way to handle mouse clicks is to wait for a mouse down event inside the button regeon then capture all mouse up events after that. If the mouse up occurs inside the buttons region, that's a click.

Keep up the good work.

Rui Martins

December 27, 2004, 11:00 AM

Tryed it and liked it!
    Loved the Laser sound, reminded me of Galactica TV series.

But there a few problems to iron out.

There is some problem with sound, when there are some ships being hit or firing at the same time.

Maybe you are using too few sound channels!
    One for each ship would be adequate, but possibly too much for some sound cards. But if mixing in software (OpenAL) it will work ok.

Also, the keyboard control seems to be buffered, which it shouldn't be. I see the ship react too late when there are several enemies, probably due to playing on 1 GHz laptop with a builtin graphics card.
    Nonetheless, the graphics run at a decent rate, but the control lacks behind, making the game unplayable when there are more than a few enemies (4 or 5).

If you are going for Starcontrol type of game, I wish you all the best in accomplishing it.

Note however that an RPG game maybe hindered by such an action packed combat feature. 8)

Rui Martins

December 27, 2004, 11:10 AM

Forgot to mention that when we start a new fire round (press space key) the first shot of the right side laser always lacks behind sometimes enough to get together with the second round comming behind it.
    The easyer way to spot it is to fire a single round on 45 degree angle (relative to the screen, longer path) and watch the right shot make jumpy movements, which make it lag behind.