Submitted by Sven Forstmann, posted on December 14, 2004

Image Description, by Sven Forstmann

Here are some new Screenshots of my Volumetric Terrain Engine. I've been working on it for quite a while a while now; recently I have started to plug the Landscape part into Ogre to get some animations working, but this is still under construction.

A feature with which I experimented a couple of weeks ago, is to use Fur for rendering the grass. Its an easy to add feature which looks really nice, but also costs some fillrate; especially as it was necessary to take care that the grass is not rendered on the ways through the landscape. (upper left image)

Yesterday I tried to use Wang-Tiles for rendering the ways, which made it a little more complicated to not render the grass on the ways, but its a great opportunity to get an almost infinite sized, non looping terrain texture. (upper right image)

Some other features of the engine so far are procedural 3D-Landscape generation, artificial terrain detail (perlin noise), glow, an .obj loader and a very simple kind of editor to place the loaded objects.

If somebody is interested to see it running, the Demo is available on my Website

- Sven

LastInquisitor

December 14, 2004, 01:09 PM

Very nice! But even nicer is the Turrican stuff
on your page...

garry

December 14, 2004, 03:56 PM

Looks really great!

MrAfternoon

December 14, 2004, 04:40 PM

I really like the bottom left picture, good work!

Daniel Ludwig

December 14, 2004, 06:05 PM

Nice screenshots.

Unfortunately, your demo doesn't work right on my GF6600GT. Looks like it does not load or display some textures correctly (see: http://www.code-disaster.de/muellhalde/gf6600gt.jpg). And it crashes on program exit.

sp4cerat

December 15, 2004, 01:54 AM

Thanks to everybody for the positive comments.

@LastInquisitor
I hope I can put the Turrican 3D Model in the engine in the future for experimenting a little; as I am still a fan of the original game, I'm interested to see how the old game would look like by using all features of the current graphics hardware.

@Daniel
The error on is really strange - already some other friends told me they got the same error on Geforce cards; I dont have a Geforce so its difficult for me to find..
Hm.. maybe you can tell me if the following executeable works ?
(its from an older version, so some textures are different)
http://www.xinix.org/sven/HVox.noPBuffer.zip (executeable without PBuffer)
http://www.xinix.org/sven/HVox.GL.FragmentShader.zip (textures etc..)

Rui Martins

December 15, 2004, 01:56 AM

I believe the actual site for turrican is:

But the link mascarades that since he is using frames.

Bumper

December 15, 2004, 02:56 AM

WOW don't know there is so many clone of Turrican.
Thanks for the link.

Danny Chapman

December 15, 2004, 06:52 AM

Running on both GF FX5600 and 5700:

The original demos run very slowly (2/3 FPS), and the textures are messed up - terrain is black, text overlay doesn't work, although the objects are OK (same as Daniel's screenshot).

The no-P buffer one works OK...

In all cases there's a bad memory access when the demo exits.

Sven Herrmann

December 15, 2004, 07:20 AM

Runs without any problems on Radeon 9700 Pro.

Looks great, I hope we will see a game made with this engine in the future ;-)

sp4cerat

December 15, 2004, 09:31 AM

Ah yes, I can explain this. The old version had a different PBuffer-Class, where I forgot to initialize the other GL-Contexts seperately. On ATI this was no problem, but the NVidia driver checked this more carefully.

The 2-3 fps are because of the special design of the NVidia Hardware. If a Clipping-plane (for the water reflection) is used, it is only hardware accelerated if no shaders are used. Otherwise the triangle-clipping is done in software; I guess NVidia uses a fragment program for the clipping plane...

Daniel Ludwig

December 15, 2004, 12:39 PM

Danny Chapman wrote: The no-P buffer one works OK... All the exes in the fragment shader .zip just result in a black screen, except for the text overlay.

Same results here.