Submitted by Danny Chapman, posted on November 13, 2004

Image Description, by Danny Chapman

This is a screenshot from JigLib, a rigid-body physics library I've been working on for the last couple of weeks. It's based on the paper "Non-convex rigid bodies with stacking" by Eran Guendelman, Robert Bridson and Ronald Fedkiw. You can find the paper here and some slides here, though I've done a few things differently.

The basic idea of the algorithm is to predict collisions and handle them iteratively using impulses. The basic scheme is pretty simple to implement (no need for a LCP solver etc), and gives almost completely jiggle-free resting contact solutions - hence the name JigLib. Adding joints (for ragdolls etc) is also simple.

You can find a detailed description of how I implemented things, together with a Windows demo here. Hopefully when it's a little more mature I'll make libs/headers available (Windows and linux), if not the source.

lukep

November 13, 2004, 01:44 AM

Looks really interesting - I'd be interested in playing with it sometime if you put out some libs...

Edit: demo won't run on my system, possibly because I have a 900MHZ CPU.

At the end of the log it says
"Warning - physics can't keep up"

and then it crashes.

codeg

November 13, 2004, 02:31 AM

Had some fun setting the jenga stack to rediculous heights (~250) and watching it come slowly crashing down..

extremly cool physics demo. Very impressive :)

I'll definitly be taking a deeper look at those references when I come to rewirte my physics engine again.

Francois Hamel

November 13, 2004, 01:13 PM

very nice :)
And fun, I was able to make a hollywood style car jump where the car goes through and big truck and roll on itself while in the air, that was pretty impressive :) I even landed on the wheels

good stuff

ector

November 13, 2004, 04:31 PM

Stanford .PDF link is down..

Fabian 'ryg' Giesen

November 13, 2004, 04:53 PM

Very cool.

Morgan

November 13, 2004, 05:20 PM

You can find the paper here as well: http://graphics.stanford.edu/~fedkiw/

I've also had good luck with Guendelman's method for real-time, although I never created scenes nearly as complicated as the ones in your image. Nice job optimizing!

-m

lukep

November 13, 2004, 05:24 PM

Hmm, it works now! Awesome fun.

Danny Chapman

November 13, 2004, 06:09 PM

Fabian 'ryg' Giesen wrote: Would be nice to see some information on how much time is spent per frame doing physics calculations though ;)[/i]

It spits this info out in the console window, showing the total physics clock time as a percentage of the physics timestep. I agree it would be nice to break this down a bit more though (especially separating out the collision detection from physics). And now I've decided to let textures into my test code I guess I should make it display the info in the main window...