Submitted by Johnathan Skinner, posted on October 31, 2004

Image Description, by Johnathan Skinner

Steer Madness is an independently developed fully-featured 3D action adventure game. Best described as "Grand Theft Auto" meets "Chicken Run", you play the game as Bryce the Steer on a mission to save all the animals.

The game is still in development but nearly complete with an expected release date of December 1st, 2004. The team consists of myself, one texture artist, and occasionally an intern or two from a local 3D art school. I am self-publishing by getting the CDs made and packaged at a local CD manufacturer and then selling wholesale to retailers. This is affordable as an independent developer because I can do a small initial manufacture run and then get more made as I need them. Finding retailers will be a challenge, but because of the animal rights theme of the game I am getting a lot of support from animal rights groups, including being featured in the winter catalogs for PETA in the USA and Viva in the UK.

The focus in developing this game was on the storyline and message of the game and not the technology or graphics quality. This was beneficial in many ways:

- Compatible with a wider range of machines due to lower system requirements
- Lower detail world means less artwork so it's managable by a small team
- More time can be spent developing the characters and storyline, and getting players to care about the characters which is what really gets them hooked on the game

It would be nice to have better graphics and more spectacular special effects, but as a team consisting of only 2 people I must succumb to the fact that it's impossible to compete in that regards with all the big budget games with their 20+ artists. So instead I focus on what is unique about my game which is what makes it stand out from the rest: A steer, riding on a bike, trying to rescue all the animals!

More about the game can be found on the website, as well as a trailer video. Check out:http://www.SteerMadness.com

- Johnathan

stefan1

October 31, 2004, 08:42 AM

"For every animal you don't eat - I eat three"

Roel

October 31, 2004, 12:46 PM

Looks nice, for something homemade. Altough I'm affraid that you won't make people become vegeterian with it. And indeed, animals aren't hamburgers.

stefan1

October 31, 2004, 01:56 PM

Exactly! They aren't!

They are so much more!!

They are stakes, sausages, meatballs etc etc!

tmd

November 01, 2004, 08:17 AM

Nice concept! It seems like a very fun and friendly game.

Jonas Eschenburg

November 01, 2004, 08:26 AM

Hi Johnathan!

I like it.

The animals look very cute and the gameplay seems to offer a lot of options. Will there be a playable demo?

I also like the topic of the game. Why does it have to be that most of the PC games of today are ultimately about warfare? I am not innocent in that regard, having written an action oriented flight simulator myself. The subject here is refreshing and controversial. You know you hit the right spot when you get angry comments.

Jonas

Warren Marshall

November 01, 2004, 08:51 AM

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have stuffed them full of delicious meat.

tmd

November 01, 2004, 12:34 PM

Yeah, I totally agree that subject is refreshing. I really wouldn't mind giving this to my 7 y/o sister.

stefan1

November 01, 2004, 01:45 PM

You know you hit the right spot when you get angry comments.

Ehrm, so if I made a pro-nazi game I would've hit the right spot?

lukep

November 01, 2004, 11:05 PM

Looks good... I remember this from a while ago. Keep up the great work! :)

Skirmish

November 24, 2004, 03:04 AM

Jonathon: That looks likes tons of fun. I am with Jonas; will there be a playable demo? It was very gutsy of you build this with just one other.

Stefan1: you knob jockey, I didn't see Jonathon asking for views on veges vs carnivores. And neo-nazi? what are you, like 5?