Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  
 
News Articles Search    
 


Submitted by Scali, posted on September 19, 2004




Image Description, by Scali



I have here a fire effect (which looks much better in motion than on a screenshot, promise :)), which is based on an idea that I had a while ago, but never finished. Over the weekend I talked to someone on IRC who wanted to do a 3d fire effect. That reminded me of the idea I once had, and I decided to see if I could finish it, and what the result would be.

After pondering how to add proper colouring to it, I decided to go with a very simple idea, which turned out quite well. The fire consists entirely of polygons, so it is truly view-independent/volumetric. It is basically a few different meshes with different colours, that are blended together. I decided to use 4 layers. More layers would probably be too heavy, mostly for the CPU, but the polycount would also get quite high. There are now about 60-80k polys in one frame.

Binary can be found on http://scali.eu.org/~bohemiq/Fire5.rar

You will need Windows, DirectX 9.0b and any videocard that can render 32 bit with alphablending, I suppose. A decent CPU would also be nice, around 2 GHz for a framerate of 50-60 fps.

Scali


[prev]
Image of the Day Gallery
www.flipcode.com

[next]

 
Archive Notice: This content is archived, and commenting is no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This content was added on an older version of flipcode, before the site closed in 2005.
 
 
Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.