Submitted by puzzy, posted on April 23, 2002

Image Description, by puzzy

Here are some pics about H3D game system.Graphic system is mixed by a Bsp/Pvs/Portal in-door engine and a LOD-Quadtree.Well...It uses polygon soup from 3dsmax to construct solid space, but not from the solid brush editor like Quake and Unreal. The artist can add visibility portal by hand in 3dsmax if he can't understand how to build a good PVS environment. There is a massive multi-player net server behind it. H3D is written by C++/C . Opengl based. The Graphic System of Hardcore3D include:

H3D CULL (Hardcore3D Advanced Visibility Technology)
Elements :
  • dP(Dynamic Portal )
  • uB(Unlimited Bsp )
  • eP(Extact PVS )
  • hQ(Huge Quadtree)
  • iT(Indoor/Terrain Visibility tech)
  • eC(Efficiently Culling ) -
  • aW(Arbitrary World Construction )
  • H3D HPR (Hardcore3D High Performance Rendering Technology)
    Elements :
  • hR(High Performance Rendering Core)
  • hM(Highly Flexible Material Control)
  • hS(Highly Configurable Shader System)
  • H3D MAX WSWG (Hardcore3D MAX What You See What You Got)
    The H3D WSWG provides with a real-time rendered version of 3DSMAX scenes, models, textures and lights. The what-you-see-is-what-you-get elements includes models, shaders, diffuse map, opacity map, reflect map and bump map.

H3D FIGHTING (Hardcore3D Advanced Skeleton Animation & Fighting System)
    The H3D fighting system implements all kinds of real-time fighting. With the implementation of skeletonal animation and hierarchical bounding volume collection detection, a precise judgment of injury can be made.

Hoyle

April 23, 2002, 02:44 PM

You can annoy people well .. nothing more ;p

Skippio Skipalot

April 23, 2002, 02:45 PM

Hey, lay off Mr. Developer. If you really were such a hotshot you would realize the importance of a good artist. How many people here are making an independent game and are suffering due to a severe lack of quality art(and artists)?? I wouldn't kick him off the website just yet, we all started making games by playing them. And if you, sir, are not a game player, should YOU be making games? Maybe that's a reason for all the crap out there. Mr. Professional.

Fartacus

Dr.Mosh

April 23, 2002, 02:55 PM

Oh god, not another one..

SSssssshh now please.

Brett Johnson

April 23, 2002, 02:57 PM

I'm not sure how you took my post as a slam on artists. But ok..

The message I was attempting to get across in my message was:

If the only reason you are on flipcode is to send out flames, then maybe you should rethink why you are here at all.

This has nothing to do with being a developer, an artist, a professional, a hobbyist, etc. Flipcode is here for all of the above. Including the people that just love games in general.

I appologize if my message was not clear.

B.

Udderdude

April 23, 2002, 02:59 PM

The reason he's here is to aggrivate and annoy people. He feeds off of it. He's a troll. And he should have been banned a long time ago!

- Chris

Skippio Skipalot

April 23, 2002, 03:03 PM

Sorry, but I'm just really pissed at people who don't realize the importance of a good artist. And yes, I happened to share his opinion on this iotd: the artist is damn good. Sure, the technical aspect is impressive, but I for one am more impressed by well-made graphics because that is something 1. Rare and 2. I will never do. If there was a contest on who could do the best programmer art, I'm certain I would come in last. Oh, and by the way: I'm a game designer, I dare to be different. I just happen to like programming. It's ironic how you flame someone for flaming, don't you? Yes, I am aware the same applies to me. No hard feelings, ok?

Skippio Skipalot

April 23, 2002, 03:06 PM

Aw, crap. I got so caught up in all this bitchin that I forgot to comment on the image. Mighty impressive I might say, I just hope some good gameplay will come out of it. I love good graphics, who doesn't? But people these days are so obsessed with graphics, that GAMEplay doesn't even matter. It was not long ago that I was fired from a project (no, not paid) as a game designer because they decided a "movie" would be more graphically impressive. Are there any GAMES being made anymore? I hope so...

Punchey

April 23, 2002, 03:20 PM

You apparently havn't been frequenting the IOTD here at Flipcode for long. Otherwise, you'd have recognized MC BAXTON as the instigator and trouble-maker that he is. You'd have seen his track record of saying pretty much nothing but insulting and demeaning things. Never a purely positive comment, never a "good job" and leave it at that. There's always some rediculous gripe that isn't even delivered in a constructive manner, but rather in a very cutting one.

And you'd never have seen the reply as a cut against artists. I don't care how much you want to have a good artists' children, it doesn't make MC BAXTON's comments any more palletable.

However, realize that MC BAXTON isn't the only one who has rediculous gripes in the IOTD area. There are several such examples just in this IOTD so far.

I agree with your comments about people making games. You're right. Nobody is making games anymore... just engines.

MC BAXTON

April 23, 2002, 03:26 PM

are you troll or flamer ?
    or both

MC BAXTON

April 23, 2002, 03:30 PM

"rediculous gripes"

This must be something really horrible

I just said we all comment artist's work, but hardly programmer's
    and it's truth

So what's your problem ?

MC BAXTON

April 23, 2002, 03:35 PM

I can do more than annoy people ;p

MC BAXTON

April 23, 2002, 03:40 PM

Graphics is always important, along with the other features. People want to have all the best they can get from newest hardware.
    If your graphics is bad it should be done by good artist, or at least by programmer who is able to value his work. Look at some crap which is sometimes posted. Its not so easy to see beauty of code, but nice graphics is always noticed

Skippio Skipalot

April 23, 2002, 03:52 PM

I once read in a game programming book something like this:
    "There are people who want to make games, and there are those who just want to duplicate existing technology. In that case you'll be better off learning how to duplicate existing technology"
    Engines such as Unreal have remained unchallenged over the years. You are one of those people who just want to create a second-rate version of something good. You take something brilliant and original and mock it. And yes, although most people here create engines and graphics, most think of making a game. Take Kurt Miller for example. He rises towers above the masses of idiots such as you by actually creating something. Not to mention that something is very good. And if you are such a prophet of these graphics "revolutions", why don't you post something on IOTD??

Ron Frazier

April 23, 2002, 03:54 PM

>Sorry, but I'm just really pissed at people who don't
    >realize the importance of a good artist

We all pretty much realize the importance of a good artist. But you cant blame the majority of us for being a little bit programmer-centric around here. I mean, come on. This is flipCode. Get it? FlipCODE??? Not flipSketchPad, or flipCharcoalDrawing, or flip3DStudioMaxModel. This is flipCODE. People around here a going to tend to be interested in programming.

gefarce

April 23, 2002, 04:08 PM

Then shut your pie hole and do it. Actions speak louder than words.

Hiro Protagonist

April 23, 2002, 04:27 PM

Well they certainly are beautiful shots.
    I noticed though that the poly count is pretty low in all of these shots. The trees are your standard sprite branched trees, with very good artwork. I of course am not saying anything negative, just that you give the illusion of very high poly counts with your excellent artwork.

Good job.

MC BAXTON

April 23, 2002, 04:29 PM

Hey ... u mix up some facts.
    In fact Im not from those who are trying to imitate other "good" programs. In fact, almost all iotds are imitations. BUt creating new technology is not easy. It can be done by luck at most, and also hard work implementing ideas.. and team of people.
    That's why many projects are unfinished. Because not all new ideas are good or viable.

I see carmack as rising tower... prolly.

While I accept that innovative ideas are ... something new(nothing more until not proved for usefullness). Graphics is IMPORTANT part. But that's not all. Good program consists of good parts.. and well composed.
    I say program because programming is more important than game programming :) And I am programming .. not making games.
    Game is .. well .. in most part its artist's work

MC BAXTON

April 23, 2002, 04:39 PM

Hey there's misspelling in your nick

Punchey

April 23, 2002, 04:49 PM

When did you say that?

Is that all you've been saying all this time? Silly me, I thought you were berating all the IOTDs all this time and really, you were just making a statement about how the programmer is undervalued... I stand corrected. Or do you really think we're that naive?

Headless Chicken

April 23, 2002, 04:54 PM

Brett,
    I asked him the same thing a few IODS ago, please don't start this again. Beleive me, the results arn't pretty

CGameProgrammer

April 23, 2002, 04:55 PM

It's done purposely. English is probably your second language, but a farce is a parody usually... anyway he purposely spelled it that way.

CGameProgrammer

April 23, 2002, 04:57 PM

Combining indoor- and outdoor-rendering techniques is very important for most engines. Just look at the pathetic outdoor environments people try to make using the Quake engine. It's nice that you mixed portal rendering with quadtree heightmaps, good job.

Punchey

April 23, 2002, 05:04 PM

And furthermore, I wish people who comment on the IOTDs would *get the point* instead of griping about silly things that are NOT the point of the IOTD.

Example:
    "Your grass is a slightly wrong shade."
    "Your water ripples too much indoors and not enough outdoors."
    "Your mountain peaks are too narrow."
    "Your screenshots are too small."
    "You have too many screenshots."

I don't believe I've seen an IOTD posted that did not get some kind of complaint about it. Constructive criticism is good. But usually it's just that an IOTD cannot pass without someone finding something wrong with it -- even if it has to be something so minor that it has nothing to do with anything.

When someone posts an IOTD, they are excited about it and want other people to share their excitement with them. And nothing puts a damper on that more than someone neglecting to give praise where praise is due and instead finding something completely trivial to complain about.

So next time someone posts an IOTD, don't miss the point and get off on trivial stuff like when somone posts a terrain renderer and you complain that the trees don't quite match the given altitude. Or when someone posts a pic of a new killer engine that has all the bells and whistles, you complain that the room is unattractively decorated, or the carpet doesn't match the curtains!

MC BAXTON

April 23, 2002, 05:57 PM

Thanks for info :) So this nick has more sense, but still not too much of it

Jeff Quesnelle

April 23, 2002, 05:57 PM

Methinks MC BAXTON needs to shut the smurf up.

Warren Marshall

April 23, 2002, 06:02 PM

He would if people would stop feeding him.

Unix Plumber

April 23, 2002, 06:03 PM

(8-O

Depending on which way you look at this emoticon, it can be either a round-headed open-mouthed four-eyes (left=up) or a smiling cyclops with big nostrils.

AticAtac

April 23, 2002, 06:03 PM

Nice shots !

Please explain in more details:

dP(Dynamic Portal )

uB(Unlimited Bsp )

eP(Extact PVS ) (Extact = Exact?)

eC(Efficiently Culling ) -

aW(Arbitrary World Construction )

AticAtac

April 23, 2002, 06:05 PM

And you should stop feeding who feed him !

And i should stop feeding you who feeded people who feeded him !

.........

We are caught in a recursive loop ...

Hoyle

April 23, 2002, 06:10 PM

ctrl-alt-del

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 3 ... out of 3) Next Last