You are looking at a screenshot of a game project we just finished as
a school project with team of two people. The game was made with
pure Java (J2SE) utilizing Swing a little bit in the menus and to
display some HTML in the help dialog. We didn't use any third-party
libraries or extensions provided with JBuilder, which was the
development environment we used. Using CVS for version control on a
server accessible in the net gave us possibility to work independently
so we could make parallel changes.
The game is a turn-based board game for 2 to 4 players playing with
the same computer. The idea is to look for the treasure shown in the
right column. For each turn the player is allowed to rotate the extra
block and insert it into the labyrinth so that new extra block comes
from the other side. Piece can be moved freely in the available path
before and after the moving of the blocks. The game is finished when one
of the player has collected the set amount of treasures which can be
seen in the lower right corner.
Assuring that player has a route through the labyrinth was trickiest.
Because game area is rather small, this was implemented with a pretty
simple flood-fill algorithm although it's not most efficient way to
search routes. Using Swing Timer for animating moving row or column of
blocks was an easy choice but afterwards we found out that it has
problems with the new J2SE SDK 1.4 - we developed the game using
1.3.x. The animation isn't smooth with the 1.4 so we may have to look
a bit on that too if it can be fixed. Since this was a project for a
school course, we were also required to make a design document
beforehand as well as documenting the structure with class charts and
so. Due to careful planning of the game logic it was easier to code the
Newer Java versions support also PNG images and it proved to be
particularly handy to use alpha channeled PNG images, so adding soft
edges and shadows was very easy. All in all Java was very good choice
for making a game like this in the relatively short timeframe we had for
Game is not available for downloading yet since we want to do some minor
polishing and packaging for it although otherwise the game is ready.
The game is also currently only in Finnish but we may consider doing
a translated version in case you don't want to learn some Finnish. ;-)
We received a nice little statue with text "Java gurus" as a reward
since our project was voted as the best one in the class. That felt
good after we had just spent the last two nights working our asses off.
We two used about 120 hours in total to coding, not counting making
graphics. I made the graphics and a bit over a half of the code (mostly
the graphics handling and drawing). I have been making 2D and 3D
graphics for some game and demo projects in the past but this is the
first game project I have partly coded.