Submitted by Sara Kapli, posted on April 15, 2002

Image Description, by Sara Kapli

You are looking at a screenshot of a game project we just finished as a school project with team of two people. The game was made with pure Java (J2SE) utilizing Swing a little bit in the menus and to display some HTML in the help dialog. We didn't use any third-party libraries or extensions provided with JBuilder, which was the development environment we used. Using CVS for version control on a server accessible in the net gave us possibility to work independently so we could make parallel changes.

The game is a turn-based board game for 2 to 4 players playing with the same computer. The idea is to look for the treasure shown in the right column. For each turn the player is allowed to rotate the extra block and insert it into the labyrinth so that new extra block comes from the other side. Piece can be moved freely in the available path before and after the moving of the blocks. The game is finished when one of the player has collected the set amount of treasures which can be seen in the lower right corner.

Assuring that player has a route through the labyrinth was trickiest. Because game area is rather small, this was implemented with a pretty simple flood-fill algorithm although it's not most efficient way to search routes. Using Swing Timer for animating moving row or column of blocks was an easy choice but afterwards we found out that it has problems with the new J2SE SDK 1.4 - we developed the game using 1.3.x. The animation isn't smooth with the 1.4 so we may have to look a bit on that too if it can be fixed. Since this was a project for a school course, we were also required to make a design document beforehand as well as documenting the structure with class charts and so. Due to careful planning of the game logic it was easier to code the game itself.

Newer Java versions support also PNG images and it proved to be particularly handy to use alpha channeled PNG images, so adding soft edges and shadows was very easy. All in all Java was very good choice for making a game like this in the relatively short timeframe we had for the project.

Game is not available for downloading yet since we want to do some minor polishing and packaging for it although otherwise the game is ready. The game is also currently only in Finnish but we may consider doing a translated version in case you don't want to learn some Finnish. ;-)

We received a nice little statue with text "Java gurus" as a reward since our project was voted as the best one in the class. That felt good after we had just spent the last two nights working our asses off.

We two used about 120 hours in total to coding, not counting making graphics. I made the graphics and a bit over a half of the code (mostly the graphics handling and drawing). I have been making 2D and 3D graphics for some game and demo projects in the past but this is the first game project I have partly coded.

St Rana

FaceTake

April 15, 2002, 09:53 AM

OMG FIRST POST OMG YAY FUN SUPER

Is the game gonna be free?

Ron Bakker

April 15, 2002, 09:53 AM

Nice graphics ... did you draw it yourself? With what?

lycium

April 15, 2002, 10:33 AM

sara... a girl doing computer games? cool :)

that's really cool work, the graphics are great!

Johan Öfverstedt

April 15, 2002, 10:48 AM

Nice work. I like the graphics, they really look nice :).
I hope you do translate it so that we can try it.

Good luck with future projects!

Wh1sp3r

April 15, 2002, 10:58 AM

Nice gui !
only one question...
Anything moving in the game like animated sprites or something ?

keep up the good work :o)

Squint

April 15, 2002, 11:09 AM

Looks like labyrinth - which is an ace game, but a bit easy for an AI I suspect?

hdmx

April 15, 2002, 11:48 AM

I did not understand how your game works :)

Did you use Graphics2D? It has some design issues I believe because it e.g. forces you to provide Transformations if you just want to draw a picture. Sun wants to provide a high-level API and makes it difficult to do the otherwise easy thinks. Java3D is much worse though :).

hdmx

Cerberus!

April 15, 2002, 12:16 PM

So its Labyrinth board game in pure Java? neat indeed. How exactly did you split the workload between your team members? And how big was your team?

hdmx: I'm not aware of any design issues with Graphics2D, i use it regularly without problems. The whole AffineTransform thing is a bit of a waste of time but you can safely ignore that if you're doing straight blitting.

MC BAXTON

April 15, 2002, 12:43 PM

Question, which might be asked
Do you always put your medals in game ?

Also I do not think that java is cool ..

Also ... well... its not 3d.

Also it looks unfinished

Also where are the actors ? Its not easy to distinquish them from clocks ;p

Also I love png as well as bmp. bmp's is really impressive simply because of its size. You can impress anybody this way ... Just not me ;p

I hope that best thing will be sound ... Because for other parts chances (to be best)are slim

...

EOF

Dominic Mulligan

April 15, 2002, 01:13 PM

I wasn't aware there was a rule for posting an IOTD that states that it must be in 3D? Please point me to this rule.

Also, why exactly do you not like Java? Have you ever even used the language? Or are you simply creating your opinions from the opinions of others?

+MDI

Buster

April 15, 2002, 01:18 PM

I agree Java blows (yes I've programmed too many games in Java so I know) but it does look like a fun game. You should port it to DX or OpenGL.

SirLlamalot

April 15, 2002, 01:22 PM

I love to see small projects developed and polished, rather than being abandoned in order to work on something else. It is cool that you are using java too. For most things other than intense 3d graphics, java is developing quite nicely, because the cpu's in todays computers are usually spinning their wheels. I love portability.

Oh, and Baxton, no mater what they tell you, just keep plugging. It is good to have a refreshing opinion. In all honesty this game as well as any I ever write probably all suck, and it is good to be humbled now and again.

On a lighter note, this is still an achievement to be proud of, I hope to follow in your footsteps. It is nice not to see another quake clone. Also, a translation would be excellent, if I can read the docs, then I will play it. It is nice to know that whether i surfing the net on windows, or coding on linux, that I can still play your game.

Dominic Mulligan

April 15, 2002, 01:31 PM

Then that is a fair opinion from someone who has used Java, however, I get the feeling that MC BAXTON has never wrote a line of Java in his life and is simply either a "sheep" who follows the opinions of others, or a bad troll.

I'm new here, please inform me.

+MDI

Headless Chicken

April 15, 2002, 01:32 PM

First of all, I want to go to your school! I'm about to graduate this year and our computer science class is teaching us Visual Basic! Hell, last year we learnt qBasic. So here I am, I can code circles around my classmates, and just last friday my teacher asked me what C++ libraries are. GAA!

Anyways, enough of my ranting, time to move onto the screenshot:
It's a breath of fresh air to see something that's 2D around here. The big focus always seems be 3D eye candie, and of course, the ever so popular landscape engines. I'm just curious how long it took you to make those graphics, they look very polished for a school project.

As I mentioned above, I'm impressed by they way your school is teaching. At my school, computer science is considered an eaisy credit (mention object oriented programming to my teacher, and he'll just give you a blank look). I had to reley on online tutorials and library books to learn C++, while the rest of my class was being taught why you shouldn't use "goto" in qBasic. So you can proably imagine how impressed I was when I read something as simple as this:
"we were also required to make a design document beforehand as well as documenting the structure with class charts and so."

Kudos to your teacher and good luck with future projects!

Headless Chicken

April 15, 2002, 01:34 PM

I made the same mistake when I started posting a few days ago. I'll tell you the same thing everyone told me, don't start a flame war, and don't feed the trolls :-)

MC BAXTON

April 15, 2002, 01:50 PM

You can post what you like but I express my personal oppinion, nothing more. Its just because most people like 3D.. me too. And whats more, everybody has 3d accelerators. But simple game is ok for people who like it.

Java is slower... Its quite similar to C but performance is not good... I think its use is prolly fashionable ... Have most sense in case when used with websites and such related to internet. Also its unsafe ... Im not going to explain the details, it wouldn't have sense.

Im creating my oppinions from others and from my experience. This way all people create their oppinions. But my level of believing in other oppinions is extremely small. This way, hoaxes impact me less than it impress the other people.

Just explained because noticed some wrong statements in your post

gmcbay

April 15, 2002, 01:52 PM

MC Baxton is a known troll. He posts stupid crap like this to just about every IOTD. It is best to ignore him.

ndx

April 15, 2002, 01:58 PM

Yes exactly. Why waste your time over such foolishness and bickering.

MC BAXTON

April 15, 2002, 01:58 PM

I couldn't say I never wrote a SINGLE line ... :)
That would be wrong, exactly as in your post.
I wrote in java ... where is my counter ... it was not behind this pc so sorry... exact number God knows ;p If you believe you will hear from him of course

But considering that I wrote thousands of lines in C++ and considering how similar is java to C I will unuderstand your source ;p Just nedd you app.

Thanks

Dominic if u want to flame, say something more serious .. cuz your post makes me laugh.. nothing more

its just ME often lazy to explain my conceptions. Or it's too different to understand for other people ;)
But I believe that I understand other people better than they understand me... Who cares. Im not as well.. just state the facts

MC BAXTON

April 15, 2002, 02:05 PM

Sara if you are a girl.. my deep apologies ;) For girl it is top notch ;p

Ron Frazier

April 15, 2002, 02:13 PM

Maybe someone could modify the message boards so that we can identify a list of users whose post will always be appended with a sig that says:
"I am a useless troll. Anything and everything I say has no merit. I am here only to cause trouble. Please disregard this message and do not reply."

dom

April 15, 2002, 02:21 PM

LOL

AticAtac

April 15, 2002, 02:22 PM

Damned, You guys all need more sex !

Seb. Wagner

April 15, 2002, 02:26 PM

Most of us know what to think of you (read: everybody has his opinion, whatever it is). Sara perhaps doesn't, dunno if she's a regular visitor. If she doesn't, this sort of comment quite well may piss her off cause she could take it serious and associate it with everybody's opinion here. Guys like you make it harder for women to get into our male-dominated business.

MC BAXTON

April 15, 2002, 02:28 PM

Yeah ndx I do the same regarding your posts ;p

MC BAXTON

April 15, 2002, 02:32 PM

I repeat again that trouble is caused by poor people who can't distinquish truth and humuor in my posts ... Its quite hard task as I see :)
U know that's perfect way to know others psychology and it tells much about everybody

MaxSt

April 15, 2002, 02:48 PM

Apology and insult in one sentence - interesting posting style...

ghost007

April 15, 2002, 02:53 PM

Although I don't prefer to use java, I recently saw a webpage that integrated 3d animated graphics realtime. I never saw this before (liv'in under a rock) so I thought that was very neat. Java does have some potential in that its a multirole language; however like all things, it also has its flaws.

Aside that, this is pretty good for a project you've done at your school. I have to wait another year just to get into my computer graphics course, but by then I fear I'll know more than the prof =)

Flying Wombat

April 15, 2002, 03:09 PM

Awesome!!! Really nice to see a post written in Java here. The shots look good. Love the graphics. Love java too ;) Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. Oh, and regarding useless posts, why waste replies on a post with no value to the IOTD? Just ignore them, perhaps theyll go away.

MC BAXTON

April 15, 2002, 03:24 PM

Let's hope;p

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 ... out of 2) Next Last