Submitted by John van der Burg, posted on April 12, 2002

Image Description, by John van der Burg

Mystique is a powerful rendering system, which has been designed with modularity and network support in mind. Mystique allows you to easily develop your own custom plugins, render using many computers over the internet and ships with a hybrid Monte Carlo global illumination render plugin. Developers can write render plugins, ray acceleration plugins, and more, all of which will cooperate seamlessly. For example if you write a ray acceleration plugin which is 50% faster than other existing plugins, all other render plugins in Mysique will automatically be around 50% faster. You won't need to worry about ray intersection tests and acceleration schemes, since this is all done by the other plugins. Network rendering is supported, via LAN and the Internet as well. Your computer could go into render slave mode, which would allow people on your network or on the Internet to use your computer power to render. This would allow you (for example) to render one image using 1000 computers connected via the Internet.

Mystique and its SDK will be free. It will be released with plugins for hybrid Monte Carlo global illumination, 3DSMax and Maya exporters, Octree and Uniform-Grid ray acceleration and a GUI for Windows.

You can find some current in-development renders at http://www.mysticgd.com in the Mystique section. Mystic Game Development is also searching for artists who can provide some cool models to use to test the system. If you are interested in seeing your work rendered using the new system please contact us via our website.

ndx

April 12, 2002, 03:11 PM

almost thought it was real :D is this an image you created using the software?

FireFoX

April 12, 2002, 03:13 PM

Your description looks like a copy-paste straight from the website, didn't check if that's really the case. The shots sure look beautiful, nice!

And thanks ndx for letting me retype this :)

raimund

April 12, 2002, 03:14 PM

looks really real... i'm not very into raytracing. is monte carlo some kind of photon-tracing?

davepermen

April 12, 2002, 03:15 PM

sounds nice. but why the tank?.. i've seen enough of them in television during the last time and i think enough people see them in reality.. nope, too much is bether sayd..

anyways, is damn cool.. now, besides the seti-project, lets move to the worlds biggest renderingfarm.. :)

ndx

April 12, 2002, 03:19 PM

Ehh, actually, let me rephrase that to: What's your contribution to the Mystic software? Are you the creator, or just a user?

mill

April 12, 2002, 03:21 PM

"This would allow you (...) to render one image using 1000 computers (...)"

i find this very cool, how do you exactly render one image using several computers? usually each computer render one frame, not small parts of an image which then are added to form a complete image. hope that makes sense.

Chris McArthur

April 12, 2002, 03:24 PM

He is one of the programmers (lead?).

Chris McArthur

April 12, 2002, 03:25 PM

Hey John. I have talked to you multiple times over the past few years and have been watching all of your stuff progress. I am outstanded at the work that MysticGD produce and I am very pleased to see that everyone is doing well.

Keep up this amazing work!

337

April 12, 2002, 03:29 PM

have a question about your plug in architecture. generally I have found plugins for acceleration to be of limited use because they cannot be inlined, and have function pointer overhead. I am curious as to how you overcome that. I know one way is to make plug ins general, but you say they are allowed in ray intersection which is in an inner loop. How do you overcome the limitations of modularity?

BornAgainDSA

April 12, 2002, 03:32 PM

I SOOOO have seen these pictures before!

:D

Cybersled

April 12, 2002, 03:56 PM

I like the stug model, at least i assume it is a stug, could be a jagdpanther, whatever it is, can i download it somewhere?

MC BAXTON

April 12, 2002, 04:04 PM

Am I colorblind or what ?
Wait ! NO ! I see yellow letters ..;p Something must be wrong.

Also its pretty interesting when people decide that this package is cool because it shows cooool model ;p The cooler model, the cooler package is.
You can affect some people this way, of course.

But lack of colors is not good.

This tank IS nice ... but why 8 images ? Oh yes.. impression is the target ;p

I think 2-3.. or even 4 images would be more than enough.
Also ... If you would une not gray tones, but green ... it would be even more impressive ;p
I remember old pc's used to have green monitors just because it looks better... also because of our eyes's "love" for green color.

The firs impression that you need more colors... I feel really bad looking at these pictures ;p

CGameProgrammer

April 12, 2002, 04:08 PM

This looks exactly like an unpainted model tank. Amazingly photorealistic render. But I wish they'd chosen a less realistic model... taking advantage of CGI, in other words. You might as well use a photograph of a tank if a tank is what you want.

MC BAXTON

April 12, 2002, 04:08 PM

PS. Also I could bet I see not only the toy(obviously) tank but even the table ! :P It makes me feel even more horribly... Okay that's enough, my nerves arent't that strong :)

KieranIsOK

April 12, 2002, 04:25 PM

What frame rate do you get? :)

Sniper BoB

April 12, 2002, 04:30 PM

Very interesting,

I too would like to know more about the shared processing internet rendering. I think that it would be truely amazing if someday people can contribute their extra CPU cycles to rendering the sequal to their favorate computer animated film :-) Too bad we may never see that day, considering how quickly 3D technology is moving... I am sure you have all seen this: http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=IO_20010813_8706 . Maybe rendering those images in realtime is better than the worlds largest rendering farm ;-)

Nice work, keep it up!

-SniperBoB-

Punchey

April 12, 2002, 04:36 PM

Isn't rendering something that can normally be photographed the whole point? I mean, if they rendered something that *looks* like CG, then you miss the whole point of photorealism. Not to mention it's easier to judge the realism of a renderer if you're looking at renders of objects you're used to seeing in real life. Because then you can compare them. For example, perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I've never seen a 15-foot tall alien holding a plasma rifle in real life. So I'm unfamiliar with the ways light and shadow would play upon the surface of said 15-foot alien. But a model tank, I can really relate to.

Oh, and the tank render looks incredible! Or should I say, looks credible? :-)

AticAtac

April 12, 2002, 04:39 PM

The tank pictures look GREAT !
Many cool and great "stuffs" you got there at mysticgd.
Keep on the good work.

BornAgainDSA

April 12, 2002, 05:05 PM

I know that you all hate me, but I'm wondering if this IOTD entry isn't perhaps blocking other peoples' "bling"...

Punchey

April 12, 2002, 05:09 PM

I knew I'd seen that tiger somewhere before!

"bling"? What's that?

gmcbay

April 12, 2002, 05:23 PM

Are you just an idiot or what? Submitting untextured images makes perfect sense because it gives you an idea of how well the lighting/shadowing is working in the default plugin. If it were textured, there would be endless questions about whether the lighting were dynamic or cooked into the texture, or whatever else... Great non-realtime texture mapping is easy, great lighting and shadowing is less easy...

davepermen

April 12, 2002, 05:44 PM

don't get personal gmcbay..

yeah the lighting is cool..

for the one asked about the how to render the image with 1000 pc's..

yes. cut it into pieces.. that is how every renderer works except the realtimerenderers called gpu's:)

everyone a scanline per frame means 480 cpu's at work! but a speedboost of 480 means if you need 30fps one cpu needs to calc a frame in 16 seconds.. at least, this network would be helpful to evolve realtime raytracing;)

Headless Chicken

April 12, 2002, 05:54 PM

well, well... Look who's back.

BAXTON, let me ask you 3 questions.

1) Have you ever written a line of code in your life?
2) Was it in anything other then basic?3) can you prove it?

Considering your a guy who thinks Direct2D8 exists (see yestredays IOTD), I'm really beginning to wonder why you even bother posting. Your a bloody laughingstock, every word you write makes you look like more of a fool. Get lost troll.

On the topic of flaming in recent IOTD's:
If you have a beef with somebody's comment, respond to THAT comment, don't post it in responce to the IOTD. Otherwise this becomes a messy unorganized flame war, making it impossible to find anything of intelligence to read. If you want to respond the the IOTD, make it ABOUT THE IOTD, not how fair/unfair a previous comment is.

Lars Birkemose

April 12, 2002, 06:05 PM

He sounds more like he is posting drunk or something....
Not in disrespect, just stating facts.

-LarsB

MaxSt

April 12, 2002, 06:06 PM

Lighting is very good.
One question - could your rendering system handle transparent objects?
I'd like to see some bottles and glasses... :)

I couldn't find such examples on your web site.

MaxSt.

RoofusTGoofus

April 12, 2002, 06:11 PM

Not true. There are rendering programs for Beowulf clusters allowing all the machines help render the image.

mattie

April 12, 2002, 06:33 PM

isn't John the founder of mysticgd?
mattie

Luke Philpot

April 12, 2002, 06:59 PM

Wow...

If it were textured it would look extremely realistic!

MC BAXTON

April 12, 2002, 07:28 PM

Look at what HeadlessChicken is posting ...
really impressive ... Your nickname is even more original, however, not soo far from food factory

MC BAXTON

April 12, 2002, 07:39 PM

I think reply is needed .. so :

"
BAXTON, let me ask you 3 questions.

1) Have you ever written a line of code in your life?
2) Was it in anything other then basic?3) can you prove it?
"

1) yes
2) it depends on what is "basic"

I believe I can do some simple shit which is of course will be better than usual...

"
Considering your a guy who thinks Direct2D8 exists (see yestredays IOTD)
"

LOL;p
Look at those lines ... Who said that I think that DX2D8 exists ? :) Learn to read first. But for chicken its ok

"
"

Everybody can have its own oppinion. Its just a kind of style if you still can't understand it.

"
On the topic of flaming in recent IOTD's:
"

Keep your guidance for yourself and post meaningful postings.
Also, Im NOT flaming.
Make your suggestions for real flamers not for me

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 3 ... out of 3) Next Last