Submitted by Luis Sempé, posted on April 09, 2002

Image Description, by Luis Sempé

This is the first demo of the game engine I've been working on for the past four months, part time, mostly. At the moment, I am the only person working on it, doing both the artwork and the coding. The engine is intended to be used to develop an action/adventure game that I'm currently designing.This demo can be thought of as an early prototype of the game, based on the current design treatment.

The engine was programmed in C++ using MSVC 6. It uses Direct3D 8 at the moment, although, Im working as API-independent as possible so that in the near future I can throw in OpenGL support easily. Visibility culling is done using octrees, as well as some line of sight tests and collision detection. Scenes are exported from 3D Studio Max to the ZCB file format, which is then imported by the engine. The engine also supports lightmapping, but a bug somewhere in the code is making the lightmap calculation time quite large, so I decided not to use it in the demo until all bugs in it are worked out, even if it did improve the visual quality by a lot :(

Some of the features included in the demo are:
  • Sky Dome
  • MD3 character support
  • 3D Positional Sound (using DirectSound)
  • First / Third person camera
  • Animated Textures (caustics, as seen on the fountain's water)
  • Data driven particle system
  • I'm currently in the process of designing a better architecture for the engine that makes use of a scene hierarchy, most likely, a scene graph, but Im experimenting with different options to find the one that suits the game's needs best. The complete engine will feature lightmaps (without the time consuming bugs!), animated characters that use bones and skin, dynamic lighting effects, dynamic shadows, and I'm sure more features will find their way into the engine along the way.

Although, I am enjoying coding the graphics engine, I am looking forward to working on the game specific areas, but I am aiming to have a basic feature set before I work on the actual game. That is why the game is being designed concurrently with the engine's development, by the time the engine is ready I should also have a solid design to work with.

There are some known bugs, but I won't spoil it for you, if you want to find them, you'll have to download the demo at:

I must apologize for the rather large download size (20megs), It is mostly due to the use of a rather large sound file. I am working on resolving this issue soon.

Finally, I just wanted to gratefully acknowledge the help of the folks at GameInstitute who have been an invaluable source of knowledge, help, ideas and at times even motivation. Thanks guys!

voodoo_john

April 09, 2002, 06:57 PM

we have a saying for people like you in glasgow:

what a cunt.

Gareth

April 09, 2002, 06:57 PM

Thanks,

Saw on your site that you were thinking of doing a d3d tutorial, would be interesting to read.

I've done a fair bit of OGL and D3D stuff myself, so the pitfalls are quite well known :)

Never before have I camped a IOTD post ( Waiting for the URL ), nice to see I got it exactly at midnight.

Cheers

Division By Zero

April 09, 2002, 07:03 PM

LOL
    Its worth a reply

Division By Zero

April 09, 2002, 07:06 PM

This stuff is too long to impress ;p

Division By Zero

April 09, 2002, 07:22 PM

HI

I will NOT use good english in this post. I will not claim it's the best comment today. I'll just do some rambling...

Okay ... well... it's certainly not bad. But details are important. Details are GOD. And GOD is details. We believe that GODs work must be perfect, so our details must be good and thus we can be GODS ;p

Love details

Just look at the ground. I think sky is too bright comparing to ground. Lighting must be similar, as in sunny day we see a lot brighter world ;p

Textures could bet better ... its should be pleasure to find them on the internet ... Look at quake's resources ;p It's simply tons of sh*t for your pleasure :)

Sky .. dome need clouds badly !

I am not an artist ... so I dont even try to draw it :) I prefer using stuff from the internet ... or developing procedural joy ;0)

I can't say I made something really impressive yet, but avoiding of dilletante art (I am happy that I found this word in vocabulary) makes me feel better.

Do not take it personally as I am talking about myself. You drawing skills is obviously better than mine ... I could only draw big head and two legs ... How I can call it human ? ;p

Matt Newport

April 09, 2002, 07:23 PM

I don't think Picasso would be a very good modeller - square heads, wildly out of proportion limbs, eyes in the wrong place... Would make for some freaky models :-)

Matt.

gmcbay

April 09, 2002, 07:29 PM

Engine is looking great. As others have said, ignore the naysayers.

Yes, the game would look better with proper lightmaps or some other good lighting solution, but you obviously already know that based on your write-up so I won't harp on it. For programmer art, its all quite impressive.

I'd much rather see some IOTDs of engines that have a prayer of being completed (like this one) rather than the endless parade of heightmap rendering demos that will never be put to any use beyond creating some nifty screenshots....

voodoo_john

April 09, 2002, 07:34 PM

seconded.

Tristan

April 09, 2002, 07:34 PM

Looks cool, downloading the demo now....

I am very impressed with the programmer art. The model looks absolutely sweet! My programmer art mainly consists of stolen work and strange block like things that are meant to resemble who knows what.

On a side note whats with all the not thought out, negative comments ppl have being making to the last few ITODs? And that 'worth a comment', 'not worth a comment' shit is just stupid, if it is worth a comment, make a comment if it is not then don't make a comment. No need to show just how arrogant and childish you are.

Octopussy

April 09, 2002, 07:35 PM

Nice to see that some programmers also have gfx skils. This is a pretty good work !

Sky is too bright for walls, floor and your character.. or it is the opposite :-)

I will try your demo soon.

Alexis.

Division By Zero

April 09, 2002, 07:39 PM

I do not need your attention I have your attention ;p

I believe you are not as poor as me.. But I still have a PC so Im not so poor as you might think :)

sorry for ***** sht ... it is not needed, of course :)

3dMax was created not in 3 months ... It's much easier when you can survive without your map editor

Yes its good work for 4 months ... We all are in awe of this iotd (especially me). So who's bad there ? I stated my oppinion that this is (probably) worth a comment, how it can be bad ? You shoud show us how to be more constructive If its your dream ;p

---
    There were random thoughts brought to you by
    n/0

voodoo_john

April 09, 2002, 07:40 PM

grrrrrr. reading these negative posts makes Jack's Angry Bile
    duct rage...........

I just want to say GOOD JOB SIR and carry on the work
    and one day you may make a kick ass game.

And remember, John Carmack woulda had his early demos rippped apart
    by petty pedants who whine and gripe. They're everywhere....

Voodoo John

Division By Zero

April 09, 2002, 07:51 PM

Some reply to your angry post ... I try to soften my words :)

"I am very impressed with the programmer art. "

me too

"The model looks absolutely sweet!"

I would correct is as "The model looks normally sweet!" (slightly sweetened response but ... ok)

"My programmer art mainly consists of stolen work and strange block like things that are meant to resemble who knows what."

Its not your art its your mix

"On a side note whats with all the not thought out, negative comments ppl have being making to the last few ITODs? And that 'worth a comment', 'not worth a comment' shit is just stupid"

-*page break*-

"if it is worth a comment, make a comment if it is not then don't make a comment. No need to show just how arrogant and childish you are."

If it is not worth a comment most like I will not post it
    If its worth. I post it... Sometimes I state EXPLICITLY that ITS WORTH A COMMENT ... I think it should be considered as compliment. Not all IOTDs is worth a comment ... So what's your problem ? ;p

sketcher

April 09, 2002, 07:54 PM

I disagree. I think the whole point of posting here is so that people can critique your work and give you HELPFUL advice. It's not just so you can say, "Look here's a pretty picture." and then everyone is supposed to sweetly say back, "Oh yes, it is pretty."

That doesn't mean you should say things that are totally negative, you should be trying to offer ways that the person can improve what they're working on and inform them of any bugs you may run into if you download and try to run their program.

Division By Zero

April 09, 2002, 07:55 PM

Its strange .. I see a lot of positive comments including mine.
    Try to look positively and think positively ... And why u do not post really positive comment ?

postalrat

April 09, 2002, 08:05 PM

Do people use the word 'engine' just to confuse me or has someone defined where that words should be used now? Is this an application, engine, visualization, simulation, library, tool, game, ????

CGI Joe

April 09, 2002, 08:53 PM

..I use something similar here in the South (must be my Glasgow origin ;)

Division By Zero

April 09, 2002, 08:57 PM

LOL

Chris McArthur

April 09, 2002, 09:29 PM

Oh man, I didnt mean to start a fight :P

Your Boogieman

April 09, 2002, 10:11 PM

Its probably different where you live, but here in Riverside California we rarely have clouds in the sky. I think its silly to find EVERY single screenshot shows a cloudy day. Just because you *can* do something doesn't mean you should always. I do like to see engines with cool clouds though just to see how other people are pulling it off. Also about the brightness of the sky/ground, its about 19:00 here and it looks very much like the IOTD outside! weird huh? I'll give him a break on the colors anyway until we get to see a shot with the lightmaps implemented.

btw dilletante is actually spelled "dilettante" but nice vocabulary anyway. Caution though before someone calls you a dilettante flipcoder!

Ben Dilts

April 09, 2002, 10:37 PM

I read your posts.

I'm off to GameDev.

~BenDilts( void );

postalrat

April 09, 2002, 10:52 PM

I read your post. Very nice indeed. Perhaps I will now check out other posts such as this on gAmEdEv As wEll

Khrob

April 09, 2002, 10:58 PM

please to not be feeding the trolls.

raiderr1

April 09, 2002, 11:07 PM

I completely agree with Luis, saying something is worth a comment, and then not giving one, is worth less that if he'd not said anything at all. I really shouldn't have to tell you this, but if you say something is worth a comment, then give one. I guess this just shows the intelligence level, of some of Flipcode's posters.

Vlion.

April 09, 2002, 11:08 PM

oi !
    It looks like Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight`s engine.
    Is that what you were trying for ?
    Similar textures for sure !
    Do`nt feel bad !
    JK is a great game !

raiderr1

April 09, 2002, 11:11 PM

I agree, I really like the overcast look of the game. It actually adds a lot to the game/demos feel.

raiderr1

April 09, 2002, 11:16 PM

It's true, It's worth a comment, is a comment. But it's an absolutely worthless one. It's says nothing about the game. The only thing that it really tells the IOTD poster is that you're arogant. I can however say that the actual comment you made, post the worthless one, was at least partially helpful. To bad it took a bunch of people yelling at you to get you to write it.

Impossible

April 10, 2002, 01:27 AM

Yes, but not everything Picasso did was in Cubist style, Picasso was an awesome artists period, in any style and his realistic stuff is very good also.

stef72

April 10, 2002, 03:05 AM

"have you had problems with the Debug runtimes before?"

In our previous commercial game, we get some weird problems due to the fact that the DirectX 7 SDK does not have the same installation than the redist setup that is on the microsoft site ! So the game works perfectly on our development pc, but if we install it on a "user" pc that have directX 7 redist from microsoft it sometimes behaves wrong.

but the problem is more DirectShow oriented then DirectGraphic

Oliver Markovic

April 10, 2002, 04:29 AM

You Sir, are the one with an inflated ego. Why would making a joke undermine legitimate points? Besides, the text _had_ obvious context and I thought it was funny. Get a life and stop attacking people for making jokes, mmmkay?

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 3 4 ... out of 4) Next Last