Submitted by Outhouse Software, posted on April 08, 2002

Image Description, by Outhouse Software

This screenshot is taken from Super Roco Bros 3D version 2.0. This game is powered by Reality Factory and Genesis 3D game engine. This version includes 4 new levels, as well as new badguys and music. You can download this version from our website :

timm

April 08, 2002, 02:24 PM

Nice character,
He's a cute lil' guy.

davepermen

April 08, 2002, 02:30 PM

looks cool
but. is he standing on the sofa?

Ron Frazier

April 08, 2002, 02:35 PM

I mentioned this on gamedev, but I'll post it again here just in case you didnt see it. I didnt actually try the game, but you could be asking for a little trouble here. "Super Roco Bros" is very similar to "Super Mario Bros". Your character with the mustache looks very similar to Mario. Some of your monsters bear a very close resemblance to the Mario creatures (like the Goomba). Plus you have the same question mark boxes. I just hope you didnt imitate Mario's voice or something. With all of these similarities, you could be treading on dangerous ground here, especially if you plan to sell this game (as the web site says you do).

bignobody

April 08, 2002, 02:42 PM

Downloaded the demo, but the program "stops responding" on the Outhouse Software title screen.

Win2k P3-766 w/ ATI Rage 128 Pro (with latest Drivers).

Have to agree with Ron - Watch out! Nintendo has deep pockets!

-bignobody

Lars Birkemose

April 08, 2002, 02:46 PM

I have to agree with Ron Frazier here, that I think you will get in trouble for this, in case you havent got clearance...

Apart from that, good luck with the project

-LarsB

Buster

April 08, 2002, 02:51 PM

Just a message to the opposite, I think you guys are full of it. This game--and the char--look nothing like Super Mario and the name is perfectly fine.

KieranIsOK

April 08, 2002, 02:55 PM

I don't think Nintendo will have sleepless nights over this.
It's quirky, but your artist should look for another job - I don't think it deserves to be the image of the day.
Sorry mate :)
I'm sure the engine's proficient enough though.

ghost007

April 08, 2002, 03:00 PM

haha, Super Roco Bros 3D, I LOVE IT =) I love the music, but you need to work quite a bit more on it if you intend to sell it.

Here's some bugs/probs I found:
- menu takes forever to load
- character sometimes gets stuck in the walls
- you might want to remove the ghost. That's a wee bit to much Mario involved =)
- character's back looks shot (two triangles not normaled properly)
- zest up the gameplay/animations
- lag issues on every reloop of the music. Are you reloading the file every time?

Aside that, good work, its more than I ever did so I can't #$*%! to much =)

Dr.Mosh

April 08, 2002, 03:11 PM

What "deserves" to be image of the day then?!?!

Division By Zero

April 08, 2002, 03:16 PM

WHAT A SILLY PICTURE !!!!! ;pppp

WHAT A SILLY COKE !!!!!;pppp

If I would live in such room, I would soon GO CRAZY !!;p

And also ... I would like to see any signs of reality ... but no way ! :)

Look at that corridor ... WTF IS THAT ???

Im wery sad but ...
I do not think that it's ....

******************* WORTH A COMMENT !!!!! **************************

But I do a favour ... ;p

Division By Zero

April 08, 2002, 03:19 PM

ANd, talking about name ....

I LOVE SONASHI MORE THAN SONY ;p (if u could ever believe in that ... ;p)

LOL ... can't u just dream and get original ideas ... it seems toooo hard for some ppl;

sorry I need to tell this sh*t just because Im tired of lies ...
;
p

Ron Frazier

April 08, 2002, 03:20 PM

Nothing like it?

Exhibit A:
Super o Bros

Exhibit B:
Similar to a Koopa

Exhibit C:
Similar to a Goomba

Exhibit D:
Similar "?" boxes

Exhibit E:
The mustache is similar to Mario's. The fact that they are 2 Brothers. The fact that they are italian (or certainly look that way).

Thats not even to say what it in the game. If he gave the creatures similar names or used similar sound effects, that would add to the argument, too.

Some of these things arent so big of a deal on their own, but in light of the other items, they all add up to something very similar. If Nintendo wanted to pursue this, I have no doubt in my mind that they would be successful in proving that this guy intentionally tried to profit from the Mario trademarks and brand name (which Nintendo has invested millions into) by making this product confusingly similar to the Super Mario games. Nintendo would crush him like a grape.

The first step I would suggest to protect against this would be to change the name to something completely different, as that similarity is 90% of the weight of this argument.

Division By Zero

April 08, 2002, 03:20 PM

DR MESH I LOVE YOUR NICK ;p

Impossible

April 08, 2002, 03:21 PM

Uh, I think looking like Mario is the point. It looks like a parody of Mario 64, and Nintendo can't sue them for a parody.

Division By Zero

April 08, 2002, 03:25 PM

Its just polygonal artifact or optical illusion ...

Or maybe it's ThyFORCE Z-buffer error ?;p

Ron Frazier

April 08, 2002, 03:31 PM

I will say, however, all similarities aside, I do think (based soley on the screen shots) this looks quite good and may have potential if you can get the bugs worked out (and remove the similarities).

Division By Zero: "I would like to see any signs of reality "
Why? Thats not at all the intent of the game. The intent is to be entirely cartoonish. That would be like saying you want the characters in Quake to start running in place when they first start running or walk off a high ledge.

And whats with the damn "worth a comment" "not worth a comment" crap. Especially when you post a message to say nothing but that.

Ron Frazier

April 08, 2002, 03:37 PM

For a parody, you need to make fun of the target of your parody. I see nothing here trying to make fun of Mario. In fact, mario is somewhat comic to begin with. Its hard to see how you could ever make fun of it in a parody sense. That kind of like trying to make a parody of a Wierd Al song.

=[Scarab]=

April 08, 2002, 03:37 PM

Looks sweeeet.

Kurt Miller

April 08, 2002, 03:44 PM

">>Finally, despite everything else, why exactly did this image of the day get posted? The description is more like a press release than anything else. The tradition around here is to tell the developer aspect of the game. Let us now some technical details about how you programmed it, or anything that would be of interest to game programmers/modelers/composers/designers."

You're absolutely right about that, it says so clearly in the image submission guidelines.
Sorry, I'll try to do a better job at filtering IOTDs.

Division By Zero

April 08, 2002, 04:04 PM

I agree, your comment is more constructive that others ....

But not always u can do developerish suggestions when looking only at IOTD picture...

I think funny comments is needed to brighten the life ;p

And also .. worth a comment stuff has sense. Do you notice how ugly IOTD's get much less comments ?

Is "Wow ! Good work !" post is better ? (it can be automated and sent to every iotd ;p) I should note also "I can do better particle engine" or "visit bunnz.com" kind of posts

Also , I think that more fun attracts more people here and that can't be bad.

We need to limit amount of joking, of course... but its impossible to live without it

Division By Zero

April 08, 2002, 04:06 PM

Could you post that to all iotds ? :) Just two words ! And always right .. :) U are magician :PP

elikez

April 08, 2002, 04:07 PM

So he's creating a mario bros clone... Is that a bad thing?

Lars Birkemose

April 08, 2002, 04:08 PM

I dont mind the "press release", unless other IOTD are on hold because of this one...
It shows what other think is a releaseable product ( no pun intended ) and as such serves a very good purpose ( IMO )

-LarsB

Warren Marshall

April 08, 2002, 04:38 PM

FYI, there is no "deserves". IOTD isn't a contest. It's s place for people to share with the other Flipcoders what they're working on ...

Warren Marshall

April 08, 2002, 04:43 PM

I was going to send this to you privately, but you don't have an email address listed in your profile.

Can I ask that you calm down somewhat? You spam every IOTD thread with your nonsense comments and it's not really the place for it.

Thanks.

CGameProgrammer

April 08, 2002, 05:16 PM

Nothing wrong with a clone, but the problem is the game may be trying to make a profit off of its resemblance to Super Mario Bros - similar name, monsters, etc. Nintendo can sue for that.

CGameProgrammer

April 08, 2002, 05:22 PM

Actually, I believe you *do* need to acquire permission before selling a parody of a copyrighted thing. Not totally sure, but I think I'm right.

CGameProgrammer

April 08, 2002, 05:25 PM

No, "Wow, good work" posts are not really good either... something with content is best.

Jason King

April 08, 2002, 05:48 PM

I don't think that is true as long as it is a parody and not plagiarism. That aside, Nintendo could still sue. Whether they could win or not isn't necessarily the question either. If they don't like the similarities between their characters and someone else’s characters they can simply give a bone to their attorneys. Also, if they determine it is more cost effective to sue, they have that right; it's the American way.

Division By Zero

April 08, 2002, 05:53 PM

LOL :)

I really love u ;p honestly :) (at this moment)
I suppose I will put my email just for you. Maybe tomorrow...

Correction: My comments are "sense" comments.
About calming down .... heh usually I post only ONE comment. Is it spamming ?
There are more nonsense posters .... I do not think Im the biggest problem.

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 3 ... out of 3) Next Last