Submitted by TMDC organization, posted on April 03, 2002

Image Description, by TMDC organization

You're looking at couple of screenshots from the TMDC4 invitation intro. TMDC is the pseudoannual international text mode demo competition which is now arranged for the fourth time. More information of the contest can be found from the official TMDC web site: http://tAAt.fi/tmdc/

Everybody interested in demos is invited to take part in the contest!

The intro is actually just a text mode version of tAAt-demogroup's Assembly'01 intro called "Ekoteko 42KB". Some of the effects featured in the intro:
  • sierpinski, burning ship and koch curve fractals
  • voxel cylinder
  • simple physics simulator with a wireframe cube and spheres
  • software synth to build samples for the 2.7MB .XM module music
  • Download URLs and other links:
  • the invitation intro is: http://tAAt.fi/tmdc/tmdc4inv.zip
  • the original version of the intro: http://tAAt.fi/taat/files/ekoteko.zip
  • the TMDC4 web site: http://tAAt.fi/tmdc/
  • Alternate Mirror:
  • ftp://ftp.flipcode.com/demos/tmdc/ekoteko.zip
  • ftp://ftp.flipcode.com/demos/tmdc/tmdc4inv.zip
  • --
    Jetro Lauha - part of TMDC4 organization

Axel

April 03, 2002, 01:22 PM

All links are broken for me

Greven

April 03, 2002, 01:36 PM

Same here, can't get to any of them... Google has the main page cached, but I can't reach taat.fi...

Division By Zero

April 03, 2002, 01:57 PM

Is this worth a comment ? U decide

I love text mode... oh yes ... but it's more suitable for text.
    However .. I ... love that mess ;p

richard

April 03, 2002, 02:15 PM

Is this worth a comment ?

Is this a 'pre'-signature or something like that?

:?

Fil

April 03, 2002, 02:51 PM

yeeha!

low resolution imigery :-)

Fil

davepermen

April 03, 2002, 03:44 PM

it is worth some comment.. just dunno what comment.. ok, the bottomleft text is no text for me. but its nice colorful instead. thats nice, too:)

dunno bout the links, i'm just writing here for nothing. but the pics do look.. hm.. funny? think thats a good word.. at least interesting it is.. and you can do nice stuff because you code very lowres in textmode (40x20 or something.. enough for realtimeraytracing;))

Jari Komppa

April 03, 2002, 04:08 PM

Planet-d, which hosts taat.fi among other scene-related sites, is down this week (they expect to get it back up on 6th via different ISP). The timing is rather irritating considering the start of TMDC..
    If you want information you can try #taat on ircnet.

mattie

April 03, 2002, 04:10 PM

too bad the links don't work
    textmode rules! ;)

greets,
    mattie

Vander Nunes

April 03, 2002, 04:16 PM

Aaaaarrrrgghhhh!!!!! !

Bandwidth is a HUGE PROBLEM, guys. If anyone knows about good mirrors, I am desperately seeking for one.

Vander Nunes

April 03, 2002, 04:19 PM

Anyways, very cool IOTD, I want to see the intro. =)

Kurt Miller

April 03, 2002, 04:21 PM

Here, you can grab a copy of the files here:

ftp://ftp.flipcode.com/demos/tmdc/ekoteko.zip
    ftp://ftp.flipcode.com/demos/tmdc/tmdc4inv.zip

Jari Komppa

April 03, 2002, 04:44 PM

Thanks.

Sentou

April 03, 2002, 05:10 PM

Holy crap...that demo is freaking amazing!

Tim Baker

April 03, 2002, 05:28 PM

Very nice!

Clint Brewer

April 03, 2002, 05:43 PM

very nice, kinda hurts my eyes after a while :), but the ascii rendering is really cool stuff!

Division By Zero

April 03, 2002, 07:28 PM

Love your style ... :P
    However u are wrong unlike me

=Bobert=

April 03, 2002, 09:06 PM

whoah!
    I ran both the origional and the textmode demos at the same time!

They kept in step real nice, although its hard to see the deforming cube before the credits... ;)

Sniper BoB

April 03, 2002, 09:23 PM

pretty crazy

ZEN

April 04, 2002, 12:44 AM

Sweet, I highly recomend checking it out if you want to see some simple and cool visuals. I do think text mode is a bit strange, why the hell would you want to go back to 80x40 resolution, which is basically what text mode is...

Sprout

April 04, 2002, 12:50 AM

Considering your name is 'Zen' you should be the one to understand *grin*.

stefan/dxm

April 04, 2002, 01:19 AM

tAAt invading flipcode!!

i should make a textmode version of Misfit and see you cry! ;)

oh and btw for a better fractal intro check out noice's "Goatitude" at ftp://ftp.se.scene.org/pub/demos/scene.org/parties/2001/underscore01/in64/noc_tude.zip ;-)

Warren Marshall

April 04, 2002, 04:13 AM

Very cool!

I like when people ask "Why?" when they see things like this. The demo scene is very much about, "Because it's cool". :)

Jari Komppa

April 04, 2002, 04:29 AM

I wonder if anyone noticed that it's a competition =)

Shplorb

April 04, 2002, 11:27 AM

I noticed it's a compo, and I'd like to have a stab at text mode again, but I won't get off my lazy ass to do something =[

What's good though is that I just glanced at my bookshelf and saw "Programmer's Guide to the EGA, VGA and Super VGA Cards" - it's gotta be at least 6 years old. I remember how amazed I was when I read that you can upload different fonts, among many other tricks contained within, like smooth scrolling =]

I also remember seeing some textmode demo years ago where there was this rotating cube being done by changing the font, pretty cool stuff - just like this intro.

dEF bASE

April 04, 2002, 12:55 PM

The links above are currently down because the tAAt site is hosted on planet-d. Check http://planet-d.net for the info. They'll be back in 2 weeks.

Jetro Lauha

April 04, 2002, 02:00 PM

Yep, sorry for posting the IOTD with non-working links. If I'd know the unfortunate event of planet-d.net (thus taat.fi) going down for a while we'd have delayed the launch of TMDC4 a bit.

The site should be back sometime in next week, so please check back then! Invitation info text file is also included with the tmdc4inv.zip (which Kurt already posted here) in case you are eager to get more in-depth info right now.

goltrpoat

April 04, 2002, 02:45 PM

Heh I remember that book.. wonder if I still have it. There was a way to basically display anything you wanted in textmode by patching the character map to two different sets every other retrace.. you also had 16*16 colors times 4 gradients = 1024 colors total.. fun times.

Oh, and PC copper bars in textmode.. heh.

-poat

Sprout

April 05, 2002, 01:20 AM

IIRC, the copperbar effect was REALLY easy in textmode, just setting the background-color (no wait... it must've been the palette of the current background color) every other horizontal scanline (only when you had smartdrive or any other TSR running in the background the code wouldn't be able to run within the scanline anymore now and then, and then the copperbars would fall apart). Those were the days :)

Jetro Lauha

April 08, 2002, 04:16 AM

The http://tAAt.fi/tmdc/ site seems to finally work again!

Bemmu Sepponen

April 11, 2002, 06:49 AM

Actually, in a 80x25 text mode you can get better resolution than 80x25. Think about it.