Submitted by Mark Frohnmayer, posted on March 29, 2002

Image Description, by Mark Frohnmayer

Here are a couple of shots from the initial pre-pre-pre Alpha release of Realm Wars, the first GarageGames Community Project. Realm Wars uses the GarageGames Torque Game Engine (the same engine that powered Tribes 2), and will be a multiplayer fantasy action game. The above shots show off the integrated heightfield and interior rendering engines, as well as the multiplayer functionality. A brief list of Torque engine features:
  • Cross-platform support for Win32, Mac and Linux
  • Quadtree terrain rendering
  • Interior engine with lightmapping
  • Mesh animation and skinning with animation blending
  • UDP-based networking
  • Fairly comprehensive GUI system
  • Built-in OO scripting language similar syntactically to C
  • Mission and terrain editors
  • Particle system
  • Wheeled and flying vehicles
  • You can download the test release version here. Anyone who's interested in working on the project is welcome to get involved.

- Mark

James Matthews

March 29, 2002, 12:34 PM

Hey that's pretty sweet - those models look cool. Do you mean "exterior", not "interior"? :)

James.

Division By Zero

March 29, 2002, 12:47 PM

I think its definitely worth a comment... :p

Hybryd

March 29, 2002, 01:07 PM

very cool, I like the comment about skiing.. that was the problem
    with T2.. the physics where just, well, not fun. (at least compared
    to tribes 1) Aside from a fantasy setting what are the major
    differences in game play?

richard

March 29, 2002, 01:09 PM

Is that model in the first shot hovering over the ground instead of walking?

Gasbag

March 29, 2002, 01:22 PM

No he means interior, wich means this engine can render interior scenes too, just like tribes...

David20321

March 29, 2002, 01:31 PM

Looks basically the same as the torque demos that come with it...

RoastBeef

March 29, 2002, 01:43 PM

Not to be rude or anything... but I mean, it's a shot showing off the same old Torque technology it would appear to me. It looks like Tribes2 with new models.

It's good all the same, although I'd like to see some actual engine modifications done to the Torque engine by people. I could tell right away that this screenshots was the Torque engine.

Wim Libaers

March 29, 2002, 04:26 PM

Indeed. I wasn't sure from the first one, but the second shot definitely has the Tribes 2 look.
    Still, that's not necessarily bad. Using an existing engine, especially when it's a good one, can help you get started quickly. On the other hand, posting shots from a well-known engine to the IOTD isn't exactly common. Having a new engine showing maps from an other one (Q3 maps seem to be popular) happens more often.

Now, just wondering, what will be the added value of your project, the stuff that isn't already in Tribes 2?

Gonad

March 29, 2002, 05:53 PM

Hi,
    Very nice, but I seem to wonder. When I try games by
    amateurs/hobbyist (no offence), the mouse sensitivity
    is always high. A little movement and the view
    changes really fast.

I wonder if any of you do something to limit mouse
    sensitivity or limit FPS? I know in the book OGL Game
    Programming, there is a demo to cap the FPS. Maybe
    that would help (or just allow user to set mouse sensitivity).

Bye!

Gautam N. Lad

mattie

March 29, 2002, 06:42 PM

hehe, idd
    mouse sensivity is high
    i like that
    all "commercial" games have the sensivity set too low as default imo :)

mattie

March 29, 2002, 06:45 PM

btw
    i like it (i never played tribes, so i can't compare)
    i especially liked the character animations

i was wondering, do you use a specific api for the networking?

i guess the character control , like air control and stuff, needs a little more tweaking

greets,
    mattie

david_lman

March 29, 2002, 07:26 PM

the reason these shots look like tribes 2 is because the people behind the torque engine were the initial developers of tribes 2. it is possible to give the engine a completely different feel; take a look under the community screenshots section on the garage games website for some examples.

this game is intended for the community to develop with the oversight of garage games. and since this is a way alpha release, i'm sure some of the textures are taken straight from tribes 2, which gives the same feel.

as far as amatures goes, these guy have proved themselves above and beyond, hit sirra

Division By Zero

March 29, 2002, 08:10 PM

Sir u are fool
    (red monkey's book, chapter 7)

Jason Kozak

March 30, 2002, 12:01 AM

I don't think the point of this IOTD was to put up a shot that says "Look at the fancy new graphics". Sure, that is the point of some IOTDs, but most of them are just members of the community who want to show what they're working on.

For a "pre-pre-pre Alpha release", it's pretty damn good, and I'm sure as time goes by it'll start looking a lot better. Art takes time, especially for a community project.

Keep up the good work!

Dr.Mosh

March 30, 2002, 12:18 AM

Networking is part of the Torque engine.

Michael Fawcett

March 30, 2002, 04:34 AM

heh, hardly amateur, the guy was lead programmer for Tribes 1 and 2.

awesome stuff, Mark.

mess

March 30, 2002, 04:40 AM

yerp, I could tell right away it was the V12, I mean tork engine :0

Looks very much like tribes 2, and I really was disappointed coming from a tribes 1 community, experiencing tribes 2.

Johannes Leimbach

March 30, 2002, 05:02 AM

Looks something like .. Giants :-)

Cool work !

Dr.Mosh

March 30, 2002, 06:53 AM

Wasn't that Tim Gift? He wrote the Engine I'm sure.

barazor

March 30, 2002, 11:56 AM

nope, mark was the lead programmer, although tim was one of the programmers too

Thowllly

March 30, 2002, 12:56 PM

Hehe, that comment makes you look very amateurish (no offence :). In first person shooters you need high sensitivity, or else you'll be a sitting duck. I think the sensitivity is spot on, although I can agree that it should be possible to alter it in game (Maybe it is possible too, I donít know). But if you like ultra low sensitivity, you should try Quake I, where the sensitivity was still very low even when set to max. You had to use console commands to increase the sensitivity to a sensible level in that game :)

And mouse sensitivity is not something you 'limit', that would lead to horrible controls. Mouse sensitivity is a scaling factor. Units of mouse movement * Mouse sensitivity = Units of turning in the game. And what on earth does limiting the FPS have to do with mouse sensitivity? Mouse sensitivity is independent of FPS. And why would you want to limit the framerate in the first place? I don't know, but if you just have to limit the framerate, you can do so by turning on Vertical sync in you drivers.

Sorry if this post sounds a little bit harsh... I canít help it, Iím an asshole :)

Mark Frohnmayer

March 30, 2002, 01:00 PM

The Torque Engine networking system is implemented on top of UDP, though it could easily use any unreliable packet-based network protocol as a transport.

Mark Frohnmayer

March 30, 2002, 01:03 PM

We're definitely going to have a sensetivity (as well as mouse invert) in the next release of Realm Wars... the current version is just a bare-bones release intended to launch the development of the product.

Dr.Mosh

March 30, 2002, 01:25 PM

aah, didnt know that :)

iMalc

March 30, 2002, 04:40 PM

Nah that's not harsh, I fully agree.

Gonad

March 30, 2002, 09:16 PM

Hi,
    Naw, no offence taken. I just happened to take a brief look at
    the chapter about limiting FPS, and I figure that had something to
    do with it (partly)...or maybe I just didn't read it properly.

Anywho as for mouse movement, I disagree. I dunno what kind of vid
    card you have but the one I have (Hercules 3D Prophet 4500), the
    mouse was just WAAAY too fast. Sure my card ain't up to par with
    GF3s and such. Maybe Im used to playing CS and such with low
    sensitivity, that's all.

To each his/her own I guess...

Bye!
    Gautam N. Lad

zed zeek

March 31, 2002, 05:28 AM

i had a go mark + its very nice, and runs very smooth on my gf2mx
    (the editors esp seem very polished and well made)
    couldnt find anyone else on the map that i could shoot though :(

Dave Hillier

April 13, 2002, 08:34 PM

you need practice! Having high sensitivity is essential when you try to turn 180 you dont want to have to pick up your mouse to move it