Submitted by Wael Zeenni, posted on March 28, 2002

Image Description, by Wael Zeenni

This IOTD shows my terrain/level editor which took me about 5 days to make.It still needs some more work but all the basic functions are there.I hope to release it out to the public pretty soon along with the source code but it won't be easy to read since its programmed in MFC + OpenGL :p

Basically, the main purpose of this application is to allow people to import RAW or BMP greyscale heightmaps and see what their terrain will look like when you modify parameters like scaling,fog,lighting,texturing etc. It sure as hell beats recompiling your code again and again everytime you try to change any settings :) The non public version will allow me to also import my own 3D meshes into the editor and start placing them all over the landscape.

I still have the terrain lighting to work on as well as some polishing to do but do stop by my projects website every now and then.Screenshots,source code,tutorials and the full application should be up pretty soon for anyone who is interested. If you have any questions,then email me at thegecko@biosphereent.com

Cheers :)

DirtySouthAfrican

March 29, 2002, 09:58 AM

You've turned something beautiful into something cheap.

Rand

March 29, 2002, 10:12 AM

lol, incase you didn't notice Im making fun of you "first posters" it is immature and unprofessional, a waste of space. Why do you think slashdot uses a filter, if you try to post something with "first" in it on the first post it won't let you post. Some people say "let them have there fun", ok then let me have my fun being the first to reply to all the first/second post

DirtySouthAfrican

March 29, 2002, 10:22 AM

It's called the Tallest Tree phenomenon. You must have more respect for organizational dynamics. Organizational dynamics is what allows flipCode to function. Make love, not war.

[tobias]

March 29, 2002, 10:38 AM

Crashed for me too when trying to load the terrain.
AMD 1400, 256 meg, win2000, GeForce2 Pro.

Rand

March 29, 2002, 11:23 AM

sorry but I am not familiar with Organizational Dynamics, but if it lets spammers/annoyances continue unpunished, then it is a flawed system

Jolle

March 29, 2002, 12:21 PM

It _is_ something cheap...

than

March 29, 2002, 02:06 PM

I think the shots look pretty cool but I have some suggestions. I didn't read every post, so someone may have already suggested, but how about implementing actual terrain editing?

I think it would be nice if you had the heightmap in one window/area and the 3d terrain in the main window. This way users could see how modifying the heightmap changes the mesh, and vice versa. This would be neat.

I suck at programming myself, so I don't know how hard this would be, but what I'd really like to see someone make is a true 3d terrain editor and renderer. It's all very well having simple up/down terrain that is simple and can be represented with a 2d image, but terrain that has caves and overhangs would be sweet.

I guess this would be much harder to do than standard terrain, but surely there is someone that is working on something like this already. Do terrain generators like terragen and bryce even generate proper terrain?

-than

TheGecko

March 29, 2002, 02:18 PM

I hear ya.I thought about implementing such a thing but I have my priorities.When the source code is released, I'm sure the community will implement something like this and a whole bunch of other neat stuff :) Its something on my todo list in the future and I'm not too worried about it right now.

SvenL

March 29, 2002, 02:35 PM

Crashes :( on my P2-450 + GF3 with XP.

Looks nice. Whoow cool skybox textures.

TheGecko

March 30, 2002, 11:38 AM

I got a message board up and running for those of you who are interested in discussing the editor and its source code (when its released) You can find the link to the forum on my site.

iMalc

March 30, 2002, 04:48 PM

You could probably cut down on the polycount in that spot that is very red from the polygon outlines.
I too like the skybox textures!

Hiro Protagonist

March 31, 2002, 10:51 AM

*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for image00400000
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for image004000

That is the debug spew I get when the app crashes. It crashed when I go to File Open and try to open the level that you provide with it.
WinXP
ATI Rage

a_j_harvey

April 02, 2002, 12:28 AM

Yeah, but the other can give ugly vertex lighting. Its also quite nice to write a "terrain engine" with two for loops :)