Submitted by Wael Zeenni, posted on March 28, 2002

Image Description, by Wael Zeenni

This IOTD shows my terrain/level editor which took me about 5 days to make.It still needs some more work but all the basic functions are there.I hope to release it out to the public pretty soon along with the source code but it won't be easy to read since its programmed in MFC + OpenGL :p

Basically, the main purpose of this application is to allow people to import RAW or BMP greyscale heightmaps and see what their terrain will look like when you modify parameters like scaling,fog,lighting,texturing etc. It sure as hell beats recompiling your code again and again everytime you try to change any settings :) The non public version will allow me to also import my own 3D meshes into the editor and start placing them all over the landscape.

I still have the terrain lighting to work on as well as some polishing to do but do stop by my projects website every now and then.Screenshots,source code,tutorials and the full application should be up pretty soon for anyone who is interested. If you have any questions,then email me at thegecko@biosphereent.com

Cheers :)

DirtySouthAfrican

March 28, 2002, 02:35 PM

Thirst!

Mmm... er... first!

This is pretty cool for a skybox.

aftermath

March 28, 2002, 02:42 PM

second!

Five days? wow, thats perty good for what I see.

=[Scarab]=

March 28, 2002, 03:03 PM

5 days?! It would take me 5 years! :)

Very impressive.

davepermen

March 28, 2002, 03:17 PM

ihhh coding in mfc..:)
at least it looks like mfc CAN actually help developing stuff fast..
congrats to understand mfc at all and congrats to the famous result you did with it:)

Juggalo

March 28, 2002, 03:59 PM

handy tool
url to your site?!

puglet

March 28, 2002, 04:09 PM

That skybox looks awesome.

MFC is good for developing things fast if you dont care about the memory/size/speed of the program :)

Congrats it looks great

dkgamez

March 28, 2002, 04:53 PM

Nice work there. I'd like to look at the source and see how much I understand because i'm learning MFC right now.

Rand

March 28, 2002, 05:01 PM

First to REPLE to the first post !!!!!!!!!!

I want my prize now

Rand

March 28, 2002, 05:02 PM

hmm I mispelled reply. must have been because I was so EXICITED TO REPLY TO THE FKFIRST POST!!!!

Rand

March 28, 2002, 05:04 PM

I reply to the second post FIRST HAHAHAHA *OWNED*!!!

coda

March 28, 2002, 05:04 PM

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that the url is www.biosphereent.com

Wernaeh

March 28, 2002, 05:11 PM

like the red gridlines over terrain.. neat idea, for editing its better to see poly borders.. think ill put it into my editor too ;)=), - Wernaeh

Programming an engine need skills, but programming a game needs devotion (I AM A SIGNATURE!)

Wernaeh

March 28, 2002, 05:22 PM

humm just noticed.. how do u do your terrain ? doesnt seem like normal tristripping, more like fanning or sumthing.. guess no lod?

.---.---.
| | |
| | |
| | |
.---.---.
normal
tristripping
produces ugly edges when altitude change running at 90 deg to stripping dir

.---.
||/|
|-.-|
|/||
.---.

your stripping.. how do u sort into tristrips ?
or fan with centre vert as init point?
performance difference ?
looks much more "smooth" though..

i LOVE ascii art ;)=)

great work.. took me nearly 5 weeks to do the same in my project (no mfc though)
- Wernaeh

TheGecko

March 28, 2002, 06:10 PM

Doh! I can't believe I didn't post my web url there :p Oh well. Anyway it's at http://www.biosphereent.com/projects.The screenshots above are pretty old though and a couple of things have changed since then.Like for example, there is now multitexturing so I can implement detail mapping on the terrain.You can find the latest screenie over on my website.

Wernaeh: Yup, I'm using a triangle fan for the terrain.The LOD still isn't implemented though but the rendering is all finished.Once the code is all done and polished, you'll see the source code for yourself.I've also arranged my project workspace so that you can easily find the files you need for the terrain class or skybox class etc.

TheGecko

March 28, 2002, 06:12 PM

Almost :) It's www.biosphereent.com/projects

CGameProgrammer

March 28, 2002, 06:20 PM

Are you actually going to bother implementing LOD in a level editor? I wouldn't, mainly because the tree takes some calculation to produce, so you couldn't really do it in realtime. At least, my engine couldn't - I wrote a compiler to calculate and save the tree nodes.

Frikki

March 28, 2002, 07:29 PM

yeah me to :)

Mastaba

March 28, 2002, 07:57 PM

It crashes on me at 0x404f63 when I load a terrain, and yes, the texture.pak file is imported first before the terrain is attempted to be loaded.

Division By Zero

March 28, 2002, 08:01 PM

Response to third post ... RESERVED

Division By Zero

March 28, 2002, 08:01 PM

Response to third post ... RESERVED

Wernaeh

March 28, 2002, 08:17 PM

Well.. thats what i call good support ;)=)
- Wernaeh

Programming an engine requires skills, but programming a game requires devotion (I AM A SIGNATURE)

TheGecko

March 28, 2002, 08:22 PM

What video card and OS you got? I'm currently having problems with voodoo cards and Win98.Still trying to track those down.

TheGecko

March 28, 2002, 08:24 PM

Yup :) The LOD shouldn't be too much of a problem to implement in the editor.IT won't slow it down that much.The old LOD algorithm that I had there worked fine (but not to my liking because the code got way too messy) The new LOD algorithm should run alot better though.

Sniper BoB

March 28, 2002, 08:42 PM

Very cool....

2 quick things:
(1) the view seems a little fish eyed and (2) the camera should be moveable with the mouse and keyboard (not just the menu)

nice job
-SniperBoB-

TheGecko

March 28, 2002, 09:57 PM

The camera IS moveable with the mouse and keyboard :) Read the Readme.txt file for the keys.

Obble

March 28, 2002, 10:24 PM

Crashs on me too

Amd 450mhz
Savage 4v Pro
2k Win
~320Ram

Elixir

March 28, 2002, 11:30 PM

I can load everything that comes with it, but when I try to import my raw 1024x1024 it crashes every time. I tried inputting the size at 1023x1023 and it still hates that. It WILL load the 1024x1024 @ 512x512 (and be messed up of course). Can it just not handle large terrains?

Anyway, nice work. I've been tempted to write up a program like this for myself but i don't need to anymore. =]

TheGecko

March 28, 2002, 11:45 PM

Hmm You brought up an interesting point.

Firstly, the heighmap file sizes should be (2^n)+1 x (2^n)+1.So you hsould have used a 1025x1025 heightmap.But even then it crashes.I'm looking into this right now though.I'll keep ya posted on what I find.Hopefully I'll get it fixed in my next release.

TheGecko