Submitted by Nich, posted on March 27, 2002

Image Description, by Nich

Nothing original but it's probably more interesting than my landscape engine...

All I did was take the code Jos Stam kindly released:

...implemented his advecting textures idea:

...and added vorticity confinement:

...to get this:

It's tweaked for my PIII-700 where I get 50 FPS. It could probably be made many times faster however by optimizing specifically for power-of-2 grid sizes (especially the FFT computation). Right mouse click pops up a menu.

The particular screen-shot above shows a swirling texture with vorticity visualization enabled, where vorticity is simply the curl of the velocity field. Clockwise circulation is represented by red and counterclockwise by blue. This was made on a 100x100 grid with a 512x512 texture, although the demo uses a hard-coded 64x64 grid with very low resolution textures. A couple of even higher quality screen-shots can be found here:
http://matrix.netsoc.tcd.ie/~the_one/wallpaper_scifi.jpg and here:

If anyone has any questions to post, I'll be happy to answer them...

kroz

March 27, 2002, 01:49 PM

nice one - looks like had some drugs, then watchin' tv.

cool

Buster

March 27, 2002, 02:01 PM

looks like pudding.

mmmmm, pudding

Scorp

March 27, 2002, 02:26 PM

hmm...looks like loking down in the latrine when having a case of serious diarrhoea. Pretty cool! :)

Aurora

March 27, 2002, 02:27 PM

That is one of the coolest IOTD's I have seen in a long while. I highly recommend downloading the demo and playing with it. Its just as fun as a game, at least for a several minutes.

Any chance of sourcecode? I just downloaded all the papers thanks to your demo but I would to see how you put it all together. Have you tried adding in obstructions to the flow?

GREAT WORK!!!!

Nich

March 27, 2002, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the kind words.

> but I would to see how you put it all together

If you want to see how to make use of Jos Stam's code check out:
or:

> Have you tried adding in obstructions to the flow?

Just so you know, Stam's code only works for periodic domains with no obstacles. But yeah, I got my version with obstacle boundary conditions working over the last few days. It allows you to interactively draw walls like a paint program. I'll probably upload a demo of this in another few days after I've cleaned it up.

masterg

March 27, 2002, 02:48 PM

Running that application and viewing the new effects, which you implemented was quite a refreshing, enjoyable change from the standard set of programs lately.

hdmx

March 27, 2002, 02:53 PM

Who is "ugly mud"??? ;)

hdmx

Nich

March 27, 2002, 03:40 PM

Chris Killpack also used Jos Stam's code in an IOTD from last December. His description is a lot more informative.

n1c_V

March 27, 2002, 03:45 PM

Looks like hot chocolate to me. I want some:)

iCodeSuk

March 27, 2002, 03:56 PM

This looks like part of that benchmark(fianl reality i think) made by that fin(i think) team who made May Payne. Remedy i think they are..

DirtySouthAfrican

March 27, 2002, 04:42 PM

The "powergoo" mode is just disturbing...

Kanda

March 27, 2002, 04:55 PM

Wow ! What a piece of fun :-))))
REally funny to play with it :-)))

dEViNiTY

March 27, 2002, 05:17 PM

oehhh that's trippy
i prefer my hot coffee though :)
nope, no drugz for me

KieranIsOK

March 27, 2002, 05:32 PM

It's very good.
It runs a little fast on my machine, is there no way of increasing detail to give my cpu/gpu more to do?

Sniper BoB

March 27, 2002, 05:34 PM

soo much fun.... but its gonna make me blow chunks... slow it down a bit, or make that variable :-)

James Matthews

March 27, 2002, 07:02 PM

Wow, that is *really* cool...I haven't seen pretty patterns like that since my New Years Party in Tokyo :) The only thing was that while it ran the first time perfectly, any subsequent times the console window would stay open even if I closed the main window, then if I tried to close the console, it'd crash. Comp spec: P3-933, 512Mb RAM, WinXP Pro, GeForce2 GTS.

Anyway, like a said before - this kicks ass. :)

James.

Nich

March 27, 2002, 08:29 PM

Sorry, not at the moment...
Grid size, viscosity, time step, etc. are all hard-coded and tweaked for my computer.

Nich

March 27, 2002, 08:33 PM

Regarding the crash, I don't know what the problem could be. It's just a straightforward OpenGL GLUT app. I'm not doing anything strange in the code and haven't had any problems with it myself.

Trob

March 27, 2002, 08:55 PM

Very nice, its very cool. Nice to see some different stuff...

~Trob

matthew j stephens

March 27, 2002, 09:31 PM

wild turbulance

Dobbs

March 27, 2002, 10:16 PM

You MUST make a winamp visualization out of this.

PrimeOrdeal

March 28, 2002, 12:22 AM

Excellent stuff! I especially like hitting the 'R' key to get the random waves moving - very nice.

This is way more complicated (and way faster) than my feeble attempt at sine wave function composition (already submitted as an IOTD - hope it gets up here soon).

The effect is quite similar, but yours is both interactive and has swirls! - my hat is off to you.

Udderdude

March 28, 2002, 03:06 AM

Awesome effect, just played with it for 10 minutes .. I think i'm gonna hurl now x_X

j/k, it's great, you really should make a Winamp thing out of it. :)

- Chris

Bemmu Sepponen

March 31, 2002, 04:09 PM

I know it's not fancy 3D or anything, but this is the best IOTD I remember seeing so far. And I've seen every IOTD there's been so far.