Submitted by zed, posted on March 25, 2002

Image Description, by zed

inspired by various screens here on the IOTD i decided to take the plunge + write a shootemup game something ive being wanting to do for years, anyways here are 3 screens from it btw its called 'kill em all' featuring lotsa weapons + explosions, it is actually more complete than the screenshots suggest eg AI/collision detection/model/phyics/particle system + a lot of the other stuff are 100% completed.

it utilises a subset of the bollux engine ie little bollux (TM) hence the quick development time. whens a demo coming out i hear u ask, no idea (working 45-50hour weeks in the winery dont help matters :) ill try to get a week off just before havest (in about 4 weeks) when i should hopefully knock it off.

also included are a few shots of stuff ive also been working on (pretty dated).
  • quite complex physics - (at least 1000 workhours dating back to about 1998 have gone into this).
  • displacement mapping - (sussing out mipmaps is a pain but apart from that a nobrainer, the technique though is a bit overrated ie nowhere near as large of jump as going from detail->bumpmaping).
  • realtime radiosity - (10fps on celeron433 with gf2mx) its sweetas dragging a box around + watching the shading change.
  • underwater - how did that get in its like um so nineties.
  • btw for those curious as to whats become of gotterdammerung, im taking a short break, ive just gotten my first hardware t+l card :) + are exploring the possiblities.

Hailed Guardian

March 25, 2002, 12:24 PM

cool stuff...

Tom Mertens

March 25, 2002, 12:38 PM

I'm interested in your real-time radiosity implementation...
    Is your technique based on a paper?
    Do you use meshing or light maps?
    Is the whole radiosity function re-evaluated for every geometry update, or is your method adaptive?
    How many polygons are in the 10fps scene?
    Can you post an executable somewhere?

tnx

Albert Sandberg

March 25, 2002, 12:42 PM

middleshot to the right kinda reminds me of a dinosaur :-)

terragenisaurus? ;)

albert

BigCarlito

March 25, 2002, 12:52 PM

Working in a WINERY? I'm amazed you get anything done after work ;-) Although I have come up with some of my best (most creative) solutions to programming problems after a few beers... Looks sweet, keep going with it.

prometheus

March 25, 2002, 01:10 PM

I'm very interested in how you generated the procedural surfaces
    in you gotterdammerung a few months ago. It would appear that you
    are using the Perlin algorithm. Mostly I would like to know
    what kind of data structures you use to generate and store the
    resulting mesh in.

thnx

lycium

March 25, 2002, 01:26 PM

wow, cool :)

like tom mertens, i'm interested in how you're doing the realtime radiosity, and what scene specs you have...

excellent stuff, i actually like the look of this landscape engine ;)

=[Scarab]=

March 25, 2002, 01:28 PM

Even though the scene is different, that radiosity shot in the bottom reminds me of the Cornell Box. :)

Fil

March 25, 2002, 01:42 PM

Nice Stuff. Your engine is quite full of surprises :-)

I've gone to your page, and spotted a little thing.. The image ilustrating the PVS is not loading :-(.. I was curious to see it!..

Fil

Punchey

March 25, 2002, 02:35 PM

Terrainasaurus Rex.

Division By Zero

March 25, 2002, 02:41 PM

I THINK THAT BOLUX RULESS !!!!

I dunno what this is ... but KILL THEM ALL is the coolest thing i have ever heard !! :P

PS. I think that this IOTD is DEFINITELY worth a comment ! :PPPpPPpP

Code Reality

March 25, 2002, 03:45 PM

Aww... I couldn't view your web page. Geocities is telling me that your site is TOO popular right now.

Can't wait till you release a demo!

heeb

March 25, 2002, 04:07 PM

Couldn't get on your site either.

How are you doing RT radiosity? - is it an implementation of Nathan Vegdahls articles on gamedev.net?

Navreet Gill

March 25, 2002, 04:34 PM

Nice work! :)

Real time radiosity kicks butt!!

Is it accurate or "Fake real time radiosity", cuz doing that on a 433 Mhz is a nice feat... how many vertices/polys are you using the algorithm w/?

meico

March 25, 2002, 04:46 PM

Whoo Hoo! Looks like we flipcoded his site... something akin to the famous 'slashdot effect'.
    "Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable! The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later."

Anyone want to set up a mirror?

Yan

March 25, 2002, 05:11 PM

had a look at your homepage - impressive CV ;)

nice work!

Buster

March 25, 2002, 05:29 PM

You work in a winery? That rocks!

mattie

March 25, 2002, 07:36 PM

hello
    beautiful screenshots
    too bad, i too can't access your page anymore :(
    i was wondering if you use photons to calculate indirect lighting?
    i guess not because i know a guy who implements radiosity with photons and he runs it on a duron800 geforce3 ti500 and gets only 1.5fps
    so my question is , what do you use? =)

mattie

stefan/dxm

March 25, 2002, 10:12 PM

IAM A NINJA, I FLY ALL THE TIME AND KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!

ONCE A BAD GUY WOKE ME UP WHEN HE WAS RUNNING OUTSIDE MY BEDROOM WHERE I WAS FLYING IN THE ROOF, WHAT DID I DO?

YES ! RIGHT!!
    I WENT OUTSIDE CUTTED DOWN A BUILDING WITH MY NINJA KNIFE SO IT FELL ON THAT GUY!! AND HE DIED WITH A SPLAFF!!!

IAM A NINJA!! AND THIS IOTD IS NINJISTIC! I REALLY DO FLY ALL THE TIME AND KILL PEOPLE!!

Bad Monkey

March 25, 2002, 11:27 PM

holy shit... i want some of what he's having :)

looking good zed... i'll be interested to see some of your neat stuff in action.

btw, picking sucks huh... thankfully I have recently landed a cushy office job developing crazy XML shit (hey, a mans gotta eat)

stefan/dxm

March 26, 2002, 12:06 AM

womans shouldnt, they get fat then, fat woman are nothing for ninjas, we kill them

zed zeek

March 26, 2002, 12:53 AM

hey the radiosity aint the main thing!
    its based on ideas i got from reading cgp+p. unlike other methods im not trying to do 100% accurate representation but a fast representation the above scene has only about 1000 quads (bugger all!) my ultimate aim is to be able to do a quake2 level :) but at the moment kill em all is my main focus of my time btw heres an interesting link
    http://www.uni-kl.de/AG-Heinrich/Alex.html (i havent had a chance to read yet)

bad monkey - ive been picking the last week its not to bad + the views ok esp on a cloudless day like today

prometheus -im not to sure what u mean, data structure?

also the terrain shots above a week old now ( ive made major enhancements since then )
    -2 levels of bumpmaps
    -scalabilty - choose size of terrain tesselation, choose texture size quality - choose how many lights u want to do the bumpmapping (which kills my gf2mx)

L.e.Denninger

March 26, 2002, 04:10 AM

Sigh.... this must be the most pathetic rip-off of Sony's "I'm the wolfman!"-add ever....

Tristan

March 26, 2002, 05:40 AM

Zed ever thought of getting another web address? I remember last time you posted I had to wait about a week to see some more shots of your engine :o) Pretty cool stuff though. Intresting work on radiosity. Keep up the good work!

Mikademus

March 26, 2002, 05:53 AM

No no, look at the shape of the head and the bow of the neck - it is obviously a cretacious Iguanadon. Though the horny extension on its skull does suggest a Parasarlopus, I'd wager this is due to a reconstruction from mismathced bone fragments!

Mikademus

March 26, 2002, 06:02 AM

Actually, I'd wager its from here...

stefan/dxm

March 26, 2002, 06:12 AM

yes, and i kill people

Dr.Mosh

March 26, 2002, 06:35 AM

Yes, and you read Shacknews most probably :)

Dr.Mosh

March 26, 2002, 06:45 AM

Looks really REALLY nice! Kinds like where I want to take my engine, although I'm not modelling my terrain around a sphere as it seems you are doing.
    Im interested in how youve done the texturing? Are you generating a texture from the heightmap data? Are you using 3D textures (or is this still too slow for game work?)
    Are you using a lightmap to light the terrain or using realtime lighting calculation(DX or OGL lights?)
    Shame I can't get to your site.

Bad Monkey

March 26, 2002, 08:11 AM

I can see what you mean about the view... no shortage of inspiration for your engine judging from the pics on the winery site :)

DirtySouthAfrican

March 26, 2002, 08:25 AM

In Canada we eat ninjas for breakfast.