Submitted by Wolfgang Kamir, posted on March 21, 2002

Image Description, by Wolfgang Kamir

So here it is, my first game! I started game programming about 6 months ago and since then a sat day by day at my pc and coded... This is the result!

When it is finished, it will be a rather simple to fly dogfight game where four players try to intercept each other. It is just a cheap copy of a game I`ve found on a demo-cd ... The "original" makes a lot of fun, but doesnīt look very good, itīs just a 2D thing with nasty sprites... but nevertheless it makes a lot of fun!

The fun was SO big, that I decided to rebuild it ;)

Some features I plan to include until itīs done:
  • Network support
  • Highscore list, published on the homepage (therefore players have to "register") <- This will be done with the help of my friend Tommy ( just to mention him too)
  • want to play around with dynamic shadows and a "real" lensflar (on the image itīs just in the background)
  • Phu, this will last for another six months of work I guess ;]

One last word... flipcode is great! Without it, it probalby would have taken me twice the time to come this far with my tiny game, thanks to the community!

Greetings, Wolfgang

Ohad Eder Pressman

March 21, 2002, 04:31 PM

you the man :)

I love good looking terrain engines, and flight simulators that show runways.

keep it up :-) and post an exe

gmcbay

March 21, 2002, 04:49 PM

My friends & I tend to call those the "Jesus Light" which is pretty funny since we're all atheists.

Max

March 21, 2002, 04:55 PM

I would think sun glare effects would be important for a dog fighting game. Using the sun (and your opponent's blindness) to your advantage would add interesting tactical gameplay.

Max

Hiro Protagonist

March 21, 2002, 05:01 PM

Just to cause trouble, I'd like to point out that UT allows visual phenomena to be toggled, such as fog effects (volumetric lighting) and aurora fx.

zeroprey

March 21, 2002, 05:16 PM

I believe Serious Sam did that wash out thing too. Looked very cool.

max621

March 21, 2002, 05:21 PM

If this is triplane turmoil in 3d.... that just rocks :)
    Me and my friends still play the 2d version hehe.

Matt Newport

March 21, 2002, 06:03 PM

Bollocks, just spent ages typing a reply and it's been lost.

What I was going to say... I don't see any lens flare in that picture. What do you mean by lens flare exactly? Lens flare to me means a bunch of circles / hexagons in a line from the light source through the centre of the screen, simulating the internal reflection you get in camera lenses. Unless it's *very* subtle that effect isn't in this screenshot. There's a (very nicely done imo) glare effect around the sun but it's not lens flare and it's a reasonable approximation to what you might see if you could look directly at the sun in real life (you can't, at least not in conditions like those seen in the skybox in the screenshot).

I did go on some more about why lens flare, halo & glare type effects are justified given the limited dynamic range of current display technologies but I can't be bothered to retype all that just now :-)

Matt.

raiderr1

March 21, 2002, 06:25 PM

I can't beleive that people can get scarred on their eye's and actually see lens flare in real life. It must be horrible trying to drive while facing the sun!

goltrpoat

March 21, 2002, 09:49 PM

Oh god Sopwith rocked. That game was just ridiculously cool. The game dynamics in it wouldn't really translate to 3d very well though, the gameplay was heavily based on the fact that it was 2d..

-poat

TheQ

March 21, 2002, 09:59 PM

Look VERY nice! Keep up the good work!

My two-cents on lens flares. Why use a lens flare? Depth blending! It, amongst other things, helps to make a scene appear 'real'. Why? Because it transitions over other objects linking them artisticly. There are many tricks to do this 'artistic' blending: lens flares, transparencies, clouds and particles (only when transparent), fog effects. Notice a trend? They all deal with transparecies. Which, I guess, is the key. Anything transparent adds artistic depth to a scene. Reflection included (though not a transparency).

I also think lens flares are overdone. They AREN'T natural to the human eye, only an artifact to camera lenses, one in which camera companies try VERY hard to eliminate. Any how.

Maybe I gave a little more than two-cents... anyone have change?

-Q

meico

March 21, 2002, 10:46 PM

There are several real effects that occur in just the "naked" eye... The most notable of these are bloom, flare lines, and halo. The concentric and polygonal rings are purely a camera lens effect.
    The in eye effects are most visible in a dark environment when looking at a small bright light source that is a moderate distance away.

To read an excellent paper on the subject please see:

It is worth noting that glare effects increase the perceived range of brightness. For example people will perceive an all white monitor screen as dimmer than a dark background with a single large flare in the center. This effect makes them VERY useful in videogames.

I personally do not like camera style lens flares in games and especially not in first person games. I would prefer to see flares based on a more physical model which I personally find much more convincing and believable:

The three main effects each behave differently (i.e.. have their own size and brightness functions) depending on scene brightness, brightness of the light source (when viewed from this direction) and size of the light source... A very well done lens flare system (for real time point lights) would have three billboards for each light with each billboards size and opacity determined by a different function. The three textures used on the billboards would be a soft circular glow, and image with hundreds of decaying streaks coming out from the center, and an image of a circular rainbow (with a second MUCH dimmer rainbow around that). The paper I referenced has easily enough information to derive the exact look of these images and also enough information to derive the size and opacity functions of each one...

Unfortunately I've been to lazy (and busy) to get around to it myself...ugg.

BTW they IOTD looks very nice. I really like the clouds - where did they come from?

disableddan

March 21, 2002, 11:20 PM

Looks very impressive! Do you have a website, or some more screens somewhere?

Good luck with your game! I look forward to it!

David20321

March 21, 2002, 11:41 PM

Those 'flares' are just light shining on your eyelashes...

=[Scarab]=

March 22, 2002, 01:24 AM

This is no lens flare, it's simply the glare of the sun. Anyway, why should WoW have lens flares? Camera's in a medievel world?!?!

9600man

March 22, 2002, 01:44 AM

6 Months!!! damn i give you props! That is some serious dedication for what looks to be a very good job.

Good work. Now I wonder how good you'll be in 2-3 years. You might even de-throne John Carmack. :D

Mournblade

March 22, 2002, 02:05 AM

I remember the game he mentioned...called 'Bandits at 3 o'clock' and it was on the Acorn Electron. I was aged 10.

Trob

March 22, 2002, 02:25 AM

also in Giants Citizen Cabuto, very good game!

~Trob

raiderr1

March 22, 2002, 03:29 AM

I agree with the comment about Outcast 1. That game was one of the most visually impressive games of it's time. The flourage in that game, along with the water system, was just incredibly cool. If anybody hasn't played it, it's really worth at least a look.
    By the way, was there an Outcast 2?

Arne Rosenfeldt

March 22, 2002, 03:30 AM

Maybe I should make a note about this thread,
    so that I can refer to it, if anybody dares to submit an IOTD
    with wrong lens-flares
    (but I do not know where to put this note, so I can find it later :-( )
    Do you imply to switch the lens-flare model,
    when changing from 1st to 3rd Person view, as it is possible in
    some games?

epidemi

March 22, 2002, 03:40 AM

You might even de-throne John Carmack. :D

The shot is good, but don't get carried away, ok? ;)

mattilaj

March 22, 2002, 04:22 AM

See the "lens flare" in IL-2 Sturmovik! (It's not a lens flare, it just simulates what you would see looking at the sun.) If you make something like that, you can't lose. It looks unbelievably realistic and adds a lot to the game. For example, you really can't see your opponent when he's between you and the sun.

- Jussi

Rory

March 22, 2002, 05:09 AM

I have to agree. What we see in the pic is actually glare rather than a flare. Even our eyes suffer from glare. So in response to the "model the eye, not the camera" I would have to say that Wolfgang has done the right thing. Plus, as has been said, sun glare is a very important factor in dogfighting games. Personally I would never allow it to be turned off...

.-wXm-.

March 22, 2002, 05:34 AM

unbelievably realistic ? :)..

Hailed Guardian

March 22, 2002, 06:15 AM

greate to see another austrian coder here on flipcode...
    keep up the good work and let us know about future progress of your project

dEViNiTY

March 22, 2002, 06:29 AM

mmmmmm beautiful clouds
    keep it up

dev

mattie

March 22, 2002, 06:58 AM

good point!

mattie

mattie

March 22, 2002, 07:09 AM

hehe, where's the time... on an XT in monochrome
    although, I couldn't really appreciate it back then (1986-87?) since I was a bit too young to play it.. I used to watch my brother play it =)

Mike Howell

March 22, 2002, 09:43 AM

Yeah! I played Sopwith in CGA in 1986! We wasted tons of time in college with it..... until we discovered NETHACK. (Never did graduate, come to think of it.)

disableddan

March 22, 2002, 09:45 AM

Even the old Red Baron game from, oh i dunno, 1990 or so has a sun that blinds you- this game has 16 colors!!! The stragnest thing is it also has 3D planes, so you get kind of a really crappy "toon shade" effect.

Can we see the plane model up close? PWeeeeaaaazze? :)

davepermen

March 22, 2002, 09:57 AM

i like lensflares for every thirdperson game. there it isn't you're eye you look with, but some scene-grabbing camera (you're in your own view, not good possible with your own eye, is it?;))

outcast had great effects.. f1 world grand prix for n64 had great lensflares, too.. and reflecting usn on the road if you drive directly in direction of the sun: everything got nearly black except the sky and the road wich gots damn bright. looks damn cool and realistic..

i don't like firstperson games that much. i have more feelings in 3rdperson games with nice managed cameras. gives you great holywood feelings, and they use lenzys everywhere:) (look at episode one, and no one told them there those lenzies are bad;) they simply give good feelings;))

oh, and sound in space is good. else you could switch off your soundsystem in every spacegame. annoying;)

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 ... out of 2) Next Last