Submitted by Wolfgang Kamir, posted on March 21, 2002

Image Description, by Wolfgang Kamir

So here it is, my first game! I started game programming about 6 months ago and since then a sat day by day at my pc and coded... This is the result!

When it is finished, it will be a rather simple to fly dogfight game where four players try to intercept each other. It is just a cheap copy of a game I`ve found on a demo-cd ... The "original" makes a lot of fun, but doesnīt look very good, itīs just a 2D thing with nasty sprites... but nevertheless it makes a lot of fun!

The fun was SO big, that I decided to rebuild it ;)

Some features I plan to include until itīs done:
  • Network support
  • Highscore list, published on the homepage (therefore players have to "register") <- This will be done with the help of my friend Tommy ( just to mention him too)
  • want to play around with dynamic shadows and a "real" lensflar (on the image itīs just in the background)
  • Phu, this will last for another six months of work I guess ;]

One last word... flipcode is great! Without it, it probalby would have taken me twice the time to come this far with my tiny game, thanks to the community!

Greetings, Wolfgang

Buster

March 21, 2002, 09:51 AM

I am feeling much love for flying game, so I say koochi-koochi too!

ndx

March 21, 2002, 09:52 AM

looks great, any demos?

Hailed Guardian

March 21, 2002, 09:54 AM

i love your skydome... nice clouds
    the rest seems cool, too

=[Scarab]=

March 21, 2002, 10:18 AM

Very beautiful clouds. Terragen?

Btw, is that 200fps rounded in anyway? Or do you have an insane 200Hz monitor with vsync on? :)

Oh and one more thing: please, no lensflares! Model the eye, not the camera! (Well that's my opinion anyway. ;)

Chris McArthur

March 21, 2002, 10:26 AM

Looks wicked man, keep up the great work!

flure

March 21, 2002, 10:41 AM

wasn't the original game's name "Dawg Fight", in which you had to catch balloons and to fight some opponents ? i liked it very much !

Hiro Protagonist

March 21, 2002, 10:43 AM

The eye is also susceptible to lens flares. My eye is scarred on the lens, and I see lens flares all of the time.

Tegid

March 21, 2002, 10:58 AM

Um...the eye IS a lense. Of course it won't have hexagonal or octagonal elements,
    but I definitely see flare at times in my day to day life. (Especially at night)

Wolfgang Kamir

March 21, 2002, 10:58 AM

Hey Guys!

Really very happy that you like the stuff im doin' :)

In the end I had to register... so for the future, here he is, the "summoner" of all the cool code (so selfconfident, yeah, thats me *lol*)

Well, the "skydome" is actually not a really one... its just a jpeg blitted on the Background before doing all the rendering-stuff...

BTW what do you mean by modeling the camera, not the eye? I'm still just a rookie, please forgive me such stumpy questions :-]

Ah... and respecting FPS ... this isnt the FPS at all.. just the speed of the plane... still working on the physics enginge... if you like, you can download a very simple demo at www.fad.at.cx

But be warned, its in developement phase, nothing works as it should :-) But try it anyway and tell me 'bout what you think!

Bye Wolfgang

PS.: be patient with my english, austrian guy -> me :-)

dkgamez

March 21, 2002, 10:58 AM

It looks very nice. Congrats on the first game.

L.e.Denninger

March 21, 2002, 11:13 AM

Sopwith or what was its name!

=[Scarab]=

March 21, 2002, 11:14 AM

Really? I didn't know that could happen. You have my sympathy, I personally don't like lens flares.

=[Scarab]=

March 21, 2002, 11:16 AM

Oops. :)

=[Scarab]=

March 21, 2002, 11:20 AM

Yeah I know that.

As far as I recall, I've never seen a lens flare with my own eyes. Lights at night do have a certain glow around them, but that's not a flare is it?

TheChicken

March 21, 2002, 11:24 AM

you don't like em because you don't know how to do em i bet ;-)

ehehe

SirLlamalot

March 21, 2002, 11:30 AM

Very cool man. I had a simple game on my mac a long while ago (actually macs might not have existed yet) but it was cool. You didn't have to screw with all the controls like in M$ flight sims. If I wanted to learn the controls of a real plane, I would fly a real plane.

And on the matter of lensflares. The ones you see commonly are not real to the eye. The are just in there because people think they are pretty. Cameras can make this effect, but it takes a bit of work. If you want to make it more real, look at Outcast 1. It was made back in 1999 with a voxel lanscape engine. The trick is, that when the sun was visible it started to wash out the screen, just like it does when you walk outside and look into the sun. (No permanent damage on the computer though) If anything blocked out the sun (like a building) you would get normal vision just like if you were in the shade. (I wish I could have put my hand up to cover up the sun at times, it looked that good. In my opinion Outcast had the best sky simulator of all time. The sun would actually set and rise.

I urge you to make some visual effects more true to life than just to be pretty. Then you actually *could* loose your opponent in the sun.

SirLlamalot

March 21, 2002, 11:32 AM

Also, make sure you post again when this thing is done. I really want to play it when it workes well.

gmcbay

March 21, 2002, 11:39 AM

Lens flares are fine, though I do admit they can be overused... The best option is to allow them to be disabled as an option for the hardcore lens flare bigots.

Sure, lens flares don't show up in the human eye nearly as prominently as they do in most games..but then most people cant start running from 0 to 30 miles per hour within 0.1 seconds (Doom), sound doesn't travel very far in space..so no big BOOMs (Star Wars), etc. Modelling reality as it really is isn't always the best option.

DEVLiN

March 21, 2002, 11:55 AM

Sure it is.

If you _almost_ close your eyes you'll start seeing rays coming out from that glow you mentioned :)

Other than that, lens-flares in a game (if done correctly) tells the brain "this spot is very bright".

Sure, they can be over-used, but used correctly they're very useful to plant a feeling of really bright light.

And oh, we all know you don't like lens-flares by now... could ya please stop ranting about them (we all have different feelings about lens-flares) and focus on more important things? ;)

jojolapin

March 21, 2002, 11:59 AM

I think that if lens flares have become so popular in games it is because there are a visual treat but also because originally they were realistic (true for most car games e.g. in F1 games the view can be the camera view)
    My opinion is that for a plane game it is possible that they would be cameras. In addition the effect is worth it.
    But lens flare should be prohibited from FPS (Quake...).
    Then again, in a game like Outcast the lens flare effect adds lyricism so I think the developpers took the right option.

Arne Rosenfeldt

March 21, 2002, 12:00 PM

I just post here, because I fear that noone would read the subthread...

The eye has one lense, but it is a gradient index lens, wich means it has no hard surface, but the index of refraction increases softly towards the center starting from the index of water. Only the water/air interface makes a reflexion: If you look in someone elses eyes you will see your face. But this reflection doesn't get back into that eye without the help of a second surface, looking glases for example.

Because the optical elements in the eye are not perfect homgenous, light sources glow a bit even without fog

A camera has a lot of lenses, with different AR-coatings producing nice colors.

=[Scarab]=

March 21, 2002, 12:01 PM

Well being able to run and accelerate very fast, or hearing sounds from space add to the atmosphere of a game. Do lens flares do this? Some people say yes, I say no. Just a matter of opinion.

=[Scarab]=

March 21, 2002, 12:04 PM

Ok yes, but other than squinting there aren't any lens flares to look at. So then you should also model that looking into a light also makes the scene around it dimmer, because of the squinting. Otherwise, where the hell are those flares coming from?! :)

Sure. :)

=[Scarab]=

March 21, 2002, 12:05 PM

I downloaded that very early pre-beta 0.2, but it's not really very playable. I too would like to see an executable when the game has progressed further. It has great potential.

Warren Marshall

March 21, 2002, 12:37 PM

"The best option is to allow them to be disabled as an option for the hardcore lens flare bigots."

Actually, you can't do that. If you do, one player will have a lens flare in their eyes and the other won't ...

altoids

March 21, 2002, 02:27 PM

Maybe that's a god ray, not a lense flare.
    See this photo for comparison.

Vlion.

March 21, 2002, 02:37 PM

what they are talking about is:
    most games nowadays have a lens flare from any light source.
    Its a big thing with alot of circles like from a video camera.

However, the eye does not perceive lens flares.
    Usually, the closest thing is a haze of color around the light.
    Drive at night well after dark and look at streetlights.

You will see the difference between them and the standard game flare.

World of Warcraft? the mmorpg thats in development has a sweeeet lens flare for the sun. Sooo realistic.

Dragoon

March 21, 2002, 02:40 PM

nice look, especially the tumbnail looked great

gmcbay

March 21, 2002, 02:46 PM

If the lens flares are so annoying/prominent that they could actually impact the outcome of a multiplayer game based on being on/off for each player, I'd have to side with the lens flare haters and say leave them out all together.

Raigan Burns

March 21, 2002, 04:11 PM

damn it, _i_ was going to code a 3D remake of sopwith/triplane turmoil!!!

such an addictive game...

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 ... out of 2) Next Last