Submitted by Mikael Tillander, posted on March 19, 2002

Image Description, by Mikael Tillander

What? Another vertical shooter as iotd?!

Yes, and as a matter of fact these pictures are from two vertical shooters. The lower two pictures shows my recently (and first ever!) completed game, This is no Rose Garden, and the upper two are work-in-progress pictures of my new game.

They're both based on my, constantly evolving, shooter-engine.

Some engine features are:
  • Three different landscape rendering systems
  • Environmental, normal, highlight, glow, trail and "dissolve" mesh rendering
  • AN8/CPP mesh loader and converter
  • Skydome (globe for in-space scenes), user defined number of cloud layers
  • Easy to use and keep track of texture management
  • Object management with parent/child and complex self-creation (time or event based) systems
  • NO particle system...who needs it?! ;)
  • Even the lower end of the video cards can run the games and the engine has been developed with this in mind. It's been tested playable even on a Voodoo Banshee card.

OpenGL/GLUT/FMOD and Anim8or made it all possible.

When the next game is finished the engine will incorporate pixelshaders and the rest of the mumbo-j in it. A demo version of This is no Rose garden can be found at www.thisisnorosegarden.com and a demo of my new game will be available within half a year... :o

Hope to get some comments and bug reports from those who tries the demo!
    Thanks!
    M Tillander aka mice

Sentou

March 19, 2002, 03:08 PM

first!

nice job

Tristan

March 19, 2002, 03:12 PM

I see somaone beat me while I was searching for my password. Lost :)

Anyways, I really like this thingy! very nice, especially the tompost two.

Question: why not use a particle engine? That would be nice for explosions...

I'm downloading the demo right away!

llyod

March 19, 2002, 03:12 PM

Looks great! Love the top shots, looks like insects :)

Adventure Developer Forums!

Neil Edelman

March 19, 2002, 03:14 PM

The weapon effects in the top pictures are gorgeous.

davepermen

March 19, 2002, 03:22 PM

looks great

Kurt Miller

March 19, 2002, 03:23 PM

"Rose Garden" is one of the best shooters I've ever played on the PC. Great graphics, gameplay, weapons, enemies, and of course style. Congrats on finishing it up Mikael... ;]

Carpe Diem

March 19, 2002, 03:29 PM

I've played the demo, and it is perfect (or at least close to perfect... Nothing's perfect!)

Just one question, How did you managed not to use a particle System?
    I'm sure that you may have not used A Particle System, but you sure had to use something close to one to make those amazing efects.

Any way, nice work!

ZEN

March 19, 2002, 03:37 PM

The demo is very good, I love the game play mechinism where you can convert bullets for upgrades, very original. The intro needs some polishing, and it would be nice if you had some in game help. The name is very bad in my opinion, and the whole rose theme is very weak, maybe it just needs better a setup and explaning. Good job.

Arne Rosenfeldt

March 19, 2002, 03:42 PM

Maybe he just generalized it support any object not just billboards:
    >complex self-creation (time or event based) systems

Seb. Wagner

March 19, 2002, 03:52 PM

Try to be last!

mice

March 19, 2002, 04:18 PM

Yes, you're right. All objects could be created and used as particles. But my definition of a particle system is that you can manage several thousands of them in an easy way. My particles can't be several thousands and managed easily when they've got the same (complex) structure as any object on screen.
    A particle system "particle" would just need a position, a direction and some gravity pull or something...right?

I might incorporate a particle system later, though.

((mice

gibber

March 19, 2002, 04:21 PM

Thats not programmer art :), I screenshots look _very_ polished. Im downloading the demo now. I just hope its as hectic as it looks.

Udderdude

March 19, 2002, 05:19 PM

Hey there Mice, nice to see another shooter freak up here ;)

The top shots smell of Ikagura .. are you trying to imitate it's style? :D

It looks like it'll be fun when it's finished (whatever it is!)

- Chris

CGI Joe

March 19, 2002, 05:19 PM

That is silky smooth, great game (too tough for me though :p)

elikez

March 19, 2002, 06:29 PM

Please! Please don't reply! Please!
    I want to be last. It's much better than being first.
    Don't do it... Com'on... please!

Anyway, nice GFX, I am going to download the demo now.

Cybersled

March 19, 2002, 07:37 PM

I played the "this is not a rose garden" demo. I agree with other posters that the game needs an intro and an in-game explanation of the game mechanics.

The graphics are very nice, but the music becomes repetitive after a few games.

The enemies seem very dull (more or less abstract shapes shooting balls). But maybe that is because the demo doesnt show the true arsenal of enemies.

Craig Rennie

March 19, 2002, 07:49 PM

When I click the download link, it tells me that files/setup.exe does not exist on the server. I tried it with getright, IE, and opera, so I'm pretty certain it's not my fault :)

Zack

March 19, 2002, 08:35 PM

Cool game!

Does anyone have a link to the original "Rose Garden" for the PC.

Zack

shrike

March 19, 2002, 10:25 PM

It says that the download is 2.2 megs, but it is 1.93 according to IE. C'mon. Tell it like it is :P

goltrpoat

March 19, 2002, 11:04 PM

2^20 * 1.93 = 2023751.68

Cyble

March 20, 2002, 02:45 AM

Love those bright colorfull and glowy textures !!
    Looks excellent dude !!!

Arne Rosenfeldt

March 20, 2002, 02:55 AM

Maybe you can call it advanced particle system ;-)

MadButch

March 20, 2002, 03:12 AM

Indeed, nice work! Some parts look really great!

Chris Blodgett

March 20, 2002, 03:20 AM

looks great, nice job..

Spacebender

March 20, 2002, 03:36 AM

I dowloaded and played the game, and I got this positive feeling. I love all the effects. Gorgeous. Too bad there's only one level to play. I don't know if there's supposed to be music, I'm getting sfx only. Gameplay is good, but the player ship feels a bit slow sometimes. And as other people said before me, I have to agree on the rose-thingy. It's like mixing gymnastics and drag racing. It just doesn't work for me :)

Other than that, very well done.

L.e.Denninger

March 20, 2002, 03:52 AM

Last..!!!

mice

March 20, 2002, 04:02 AM

LOL! gym-racing!

Badboy isn't slow, is he?

There's midi music in it. Is it turned on in windows?
    If it is, you've found a bug.

savage

March 20, 2002, 04:15 AM

Actually Mice posted at 4:02 am so that would make him last.

Doh. Now it's me.

Feeblez

March 20, 2002, 05:10 AM

just been having fun playing TINRG, until my boss appeared that is!
    it's looking really sweet, like a scrolling piece of art.
    inspired me to 'make time' to finish my shootemup project,
    instead of being a lazy bum

Y0 Udderdude! :-P