Submitted by Hardy Winter, posted on March 14, 2002

Image Description, by Hardy Winter

these screenshots are taken from our MMORPG "World of Pirates". The idea behind this project is to create an online world with a real historical scenario like in a earlier well known game title. Settled in the Caribbean in the 17th. century you can be an adventurer, merchant, head hunter and of course a pirate. And if you are good enough, you can become a governor. We added some more features like found own nations or build new cities.

The client uses Windows and DirectX 8. A transparent interface is already implemented and actually we are working on special effects like rain, fog and day/night-cycle. The game server is running on a linux system.

A preview video will be available at our website within the next few days.

yours sincerely
Hardy Winter

kusma

March 14, 2002, 10:48 AM

looks cool. Will the game be commerceal?

Chris McArthur

March 14, 2002, 10:53 AM

Not my type of game, but very interesting nonetheless. Good work!

PS. Glad to see you are running a linux server!!!

mill

March 14, 2002, 11:03 AM

ahh pirates :D

Mattman

March 14, 2002, 11:05 AM

Felix HAWKEYE

March 14, 2002, 11:10 AM

Woo~ Great Job!
Are all the GFX sprites??
Are you using the ID3DXSprite??
Thanks...

Cheers,
Felix HAWKEYE

Jeff Olson

March 14, 2002, 11:12 AM

heheh, i remember pirates! =D

looks great =)

Morgan

March 14, 2002, 11:16 AM

Your graphics remind me of Privateer, which is a fantastic pirate board game. Nice.

-m

Bunnz

March 14, 2002, 11:20 AM

Looks great!

When can i play it?

Bunnz

Visit: www.bunnz.com

DmNxia

March 14, 2002, 11:52 AM

Nice. I've been hoping somebody would put together an online bucanear game for a while. Your screen shots remind me a bit of the old Sid Meir title "Pirates". What kind of interaction do players have among themselves? Can they ban together to conduct raids? Can they trade with/raid each other's boats? I am already somewhat disapointed about one thing though. You say you are using a linux server, so you probably are no stranger to the *nix world, yet you wrote your clients in DirectX. I wish you had used openGL or some other api that is more platform independant, particularly because this is an online game.

Hiro Protagonist

March 14, 2002, 12:00 PM

Looks very fun, i would probably pay to play it, as long as there is a high level of interaction with other players and with my environment.

One question, why a Linux server? It is obvious why you would code your clients as windows clients, but then why did you decide on a linux server? I am not flaming you or disagreeing with your decision, I am simply curious as to why you made that choice.

coda

March 14, 2002, 12:04 PM

I'm not involved in the project in any way, but the obvious answer to this seems to be that you don't have to pay massive amounts of money to run a linux server.

mikie

March 14, 2002, 12:07 PM

This is not ironic.... coincidence is the word you are looking for...
Irony would be something very different

//How ironic... I think I saw this game at www.mpogd.com just the other day. :P Looks purty

DmNxia

March 14, 2002, 12:13 PM

How 'bout the simple fact that a linux server won't crash all the time? I would go with the linux server too, and have in the past. It doesn't really make it any harder to have 2 different platform types as far as coding, because all they probably really do is pass txt messages or something similar anyway.

DMNXIA

coda

March 14, 2002, 12:13 PM

The clouds are sweet :)

ector

March 14, 2002, 12:17 PM

and what says a windows server would crash all the time?

(no i'm not asking for answers like "cuz windoze suxx")

=[Scarab]=

March 14, 2002, 12:19 PM

Looks mighty sweet matey, arrr. :P

Ogotay

March 14, 2002, 12:32 PM

cuz windoze suxx BADLY ;D

Shit, I did not even hope anybody would revive the idea of Pirates, if you kept close enough to the original I can't wait to see it finished so I can play it. I would pay for purchasing the game (not for the online playing though ;)! One question: if anybody can create his own country etc. aren't you afraid your virtual Caribbean world will get too crowded? Anyway, finish the game and make it ready to ship and if you need a beta-tester MAIL ME :)))).

Good luck
Ogo

blaat

March 14, 2002, 12:46 PM

but.. but.. it's 2d!

Taharez

March 14, 2002, 12:50 PM

Ah, Pirates.. one of my absolute favorite games ever =) Looks really nice so far!

Ogotay

March 14, 2002, 12:50 PM

So what? Are black/white photos worse than the colored ones? Most of the games I enjoyed most in my life were in 2D, and I am sure I am not in the minority with that :). And with the growing amount of bugged, uninspired and just boring, lacking a good idea and design 3D games outthere... pft...

Buster

March 14, 2002, 01:13 PM

Man it's about time we see some good Pirates! Gold stuff in multi-player. I loved that game!

Arrrr.

DmNxia

March 14, 2002, 01:20 PM

From experience I can tell you that if you leave a windows machine on for an extended period of time, it becomes unstable. I'm not gonna go off on a Microsoft Sux tangent b/c I'm not some holier than thou, unix crusading, anti microsoft @$$hole! Even using NT I have to reboot fairly often though. Whether it is due to memory leaks in their code or other factors, doesn't really concern me. What matters to me is that a linux server doesn't have this problem, and in the case of an online game, you don't want to have to reboot if it isn't absolutley necessary.

DmNxia

Hiro Protagonist

March 14, 2002, 01:44 PM

I guess I didn't really make myself clear here. I wanted the author of this IOTD to answer my question. I am well aware of all the reasons, valid or not, that people choose Linux over Windows and vice versa. I simply wanted to know this authors reasons.

.:fl0yd:.

March 14, 2002, 02:25 PM

The actual rendering API in use doesn't make an engine platform independent nor platform dependent. Read this: http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/msg.cgi?showThread=03-13-2002&forum=iotd&id=-1

.:fl0yd:.

March 14, 2002, 03:04 PM

Let's try again....

read yesterdays IOTD

Ogotay

March 14, 2002, 03:28 PM

Not only unstable, at least Windows 95/98 gest slower and slower with each day you use it without rebooting... It must be something with the code, maybe bad resources management or whatever...

Ron Frazier

March 14, 2002, 03:29 PM

Hey Bunnz!

Are these 4 line posts your way of advertising your web site?

Ron Frazier

Visit: www.ronfrazier.net

Robert Schultz

March 14, 2002, 03:48 PM

Reminds me of the old game Rampart :)

Flawless

March 14, 2002, 04:03 PM

How do you define "extended periods of time" ?

I have a Windows Server, that is a PHP server, Apache Server, MySQL Server, and (occasionally) a Half-Life server. It is also used as a workstation, and runs typical office-use programs (Word, Excel, etc) on a daily basis. I had to reboot it today, to install a security patch, but at that time, it had been running for 50 days straight, with absolutely no problems. And this is not even a one-time experience - it is simply always rock stable. So it can be done :-)

However, you must remember that it is set up... flawlessly :-)

uma

March 14, 2002, 04:03 PM

Hi, i am the program the server software of World of Pirates. The reason for the linux server is very simple: we use linux servers for several years we have very good experiences with it - so there is no reason to change to another os.

I Hope to see all of you in WoP :-)

sincerely yours