Submitted by Michael Gamsriegler, posted on March 11, 2002

Image Description, by Michael Gamsriegler

Hi all, we are a team of 5 and these are some screenshots from a demo which is presenting the graphics engine used by our upcoming game called XYRAX_.

The demo can be found at www.xyrax.com

The demo has been built in december 2001, when our engine has been in an very early development state. So you won_t see that many features at all in this demo but a new engine demo which will be showing off all engine features will be developed soon! Due to this fact it_s currently only possible to view our demo using GeForce cards but that will also be fixed in the next demo version!

Engine Features so far:
  • Lightmaps (multitexturing)
  • Advanced particle system (object based emitters, dynamic linking of warps and emitters objects as particles)
  • Dynamic lighting
  • Spline interpolated motions (for cameras, objects, lights, etc.)
  • Internal lightmap render (Point, Spot, Linear, Area Lights, colored Shadows)
  • Atmosphere (Planets, Multiple cloud layers, Dynamic skydome, Distance Fog)
  • advanced bones system (importation of .bvh files possible)
  • Collision Detection
  • Advanced texture management (minimal use of texture memory, S3 texture compression)
  • Screen effects (Flash, Snow, Rain, blood, etc.)
  • Transparency (order dependend drawing, additive / subtractive blending modes)
  • Core 3d engine (full optimized for OpenGL, minimal redundancy for switching to other APIs)
  • Due to the fact that XYRAX uses it_s own file system we developed a tool which provides the following features:
  • Particle effects editor
  • Lightmap generator
  • Bones generator
  • Skydome generator
  • Some information about XYRAX

XYRAX will be sort of an multiplayer online first person shooter! It_s featuring all known game modes from games like Q3, Rtcw, Unreal, Counterstrike_ There will also be 4 new game modes which have never been seen before.

The main point during building XYRAX was and is, that it should be easier to use, especially in server mode, then other games. That means that there will be an easy to use interface for both server and client so you be able to use a specific command as fast as possible. The other point was that the whole game should be configurable, so if you open up a server you will be able to configure just everything so everybody can build his very own individual game mode!

When XYRAX will be released, there will also be an online community which will provide all gamers with features like statistik tracking, maps, mods, skins_

If you would like to get some more Information on what XYRAX is all about, just visit us at www.xyrax.com and do not hesitate to contact us! We will try our best to answer as soon as possible!

The demo itself can also be found at www.xyrax.com.

So thats it for now :-)

Thanks for giving us some comments on how you like it this far!

Michael Gamsriegler
    www.atteam.com

Bunnz

March 11, 2002, 01:32 PM

Wow looks great!!!
    I like the ring of fire and the black white pic!

Have fun
    Bunnz
    Visit: www.bunnz.com

Cyble

March 11, 2002, 01:35 PM

Excellent ! Talking about flexibility ! But be carefull all these features doesn't hold you back finishing the game the engine was meant for.

drZool

March 11, 2002, 01:38 PM

Impressive!

Can you describe the 4 new gamemodes???
    downloading the demo now :)

March 11, 2002, 01:43 PM

I'm sorry but due the fact that this are 4 new never seen before game modes, I just can't give you more Information about that right now :-( But there will be an playable Demo in the beginning of may 2002, so we can provide you with more information! Of course we will post on flipcode again, when the playable demo is out!

Best regards,
    Michael Gamsriegler

Jare

March 11, 2002, 01:46 PM

Images look nice and atmospheric, altough a bit coder-like in the color / lighting choice.

One thing in your description really puzzled me... what does haveing your own file system have to do with writing a lightmap generator or a particle system editor???

ubermuffin

March 11, 2002, 01:52 PM

I don't understand why people build engines for card x first, and then other cards... It strikes me that a truly generic rendering engine (which is sort of what we all want -- something that runs on everyone's hardware) is best developed by using vanilla OpenGL (or Direct3D) at first, and then delving into platform-specific magics after the prototype has been delivered.

When people do things in the other order (GeForce-specific calls first, then back down to lowest common denominator), does that suggest that they are more concerned with eye candy than they are with good programming? Or does it mean that they've just been working with the tools they have on-hand (i.e. we poor developers only have one or two graphics cards on hand at a time, and so we develop to that spec)?

(Not to pick on this IOTD, everything looks great!)

-ubermuffin

March 11, 2002, 01:54 PM

I didn't mean a own file System like NTFS or FAT, but i meant own files (u know .exe .com) :-) Deffinitly my fault that it didn't came out that clearly! But anyway, so we wrote our own converters to convert from .lws .3ds... And we also wrote our own Particel System, Lightmap generator... to get sure having all possibilities and features we need :)

Best regards,
    Michael Gamsriegler

March 11, 2002, 02:01 PM

It's not the point that we wrote it for a specific Card like GeForce. It's just that we used some nvidia classes first and forgot about that when the demo has been built (December 2001). But till now our engine code has changed that much, that we just don't have the time to develope that demo again. We would have to reconvert all scenes, and due the fact we are not having any time left we can't do this right now :-) But take my word on it that the engine hasn't been written for a specific card :) But I'm really sorry for all ppl who are currently not able to view our demo!

Michael Gamsriegler

xds4lx

March 11, 2002, 02:11 PM

Well, id think it is that they have to work with what they have on hand. Some arent that lucky and only have one PC and can only afford a new 3D card once in a blue moon. On the other hand though, there are some (not to sound rude but your probally one of them) that are able to get a new PC every year or so, or a new card at least once a year. I guess I fall in between b/c I have 2 pc's. Granted ones 4 years old and able to run a crappy geforce2mx (plain before the mx400/200) and my new pc which is my pride w/ a Ti500. When im developing I try not to use anything tooo card specific, and when I do I make sure that im making my app still run on other cards.

cgk

March 11, 2002, 02:34 PM

OpenGL is the problem, since OpenGL actually is not a single API (any more). Every vendor builds up its own extensions, incompatible to the other vendors of course, and without using these develops have a hard time to get an acceptable framerates and the extensions also make programming easier...
    Thats the main reason why i prefer D3D.

Serapth

March 11, 2002, 02:35 PM

Ran the demo, caused a crash on initialization. Seems to be dual monitor enabled. Once I disabled my secondary adapter, it ran fine.

This is caused by failing to enumerate the adapters during init(assuming DirectX). I realize that most people dont run dual monitors, so dont think to do this... but please do! :) Having to enable/disable my graphics is a pain in this ass ! (Lots of other apps cause this crash or worse, so no worries).

Specs for machine causing crash are :
    Win XP Pro
    P4 1.6
    768 Meg Ram
    GeForce2 Primary (Newest Detenator drivers)
    Ati 8 meg PCI Secondary (Default from XP drivers)

Other then this, it looks good. Maybe a little too much hype though :)

Caio,
    Serapth

stefan/dxm

March 11, 2002, 03:04 PM

add that to pouet.net and get ready to be flamed hehe =D

wolfgangw123

March 11, 2002, 03:05 PM

I never really understood what's soo wrong nowadays wuth developing for GeForceX cards. Who said that what we all want is a graphics engine which runs on everyones hardware?

I mean, most of us here are hobbyist programmers hoping to turn their hobby into a profession someday, so what's the point of learning/practising techniques and using graphics hardware which are now allready kind of outdated. At least if you won't land a job in the industry for another two or three years (assuming you are in college now)?

And if you are gfx programming as a hobby, your time is probably quite limited, so do you really want to spend it on compatibitility testing? Most people never finish their engines anyway.

So i just don't think that lengthening the developemnt cycle by enshuring full ATI support is a great idea for a none professional project.

Ever heard of someone getting a job because his demo scales back so greatly???

Isn't inventing and learning new stuff and effects what gfx coding is mostly about?

There are so many great areas in graphics which are starting right now: full dynamic lighting, advanched shader techniques, ...

Just some thoughts, great pics by the way ;)

March 11, 2002, 03:45 PM

Thanks for that hint! We'll do it :-)

Michael Gamsriegler

richard

March 11, 2002, 03:48 PM

Nice, the demo looks very professional and polished!

However, I do have some small complaints:

Why are you trying to visit www.xyrax.com using the installation program? (it isn't nessecary.. I blocked the call and it still worked)
    It would be nice to see an option to set the refreshrate because Win2K/XP uses a default refreshrate of 60Hz, which is very irritating. (and yes, I know there's a fix for that, but it should be handled by games, not by a fix or the driver)

Flawless

March 11, 2002, 04:03 PM

Tried the demo, and it ran very nice!

However, it is the DARKEST thing I have ever seen!!

I have seen a completely dark screen on SEVeral occasions, but this thing is SUCKING light right out of my room! It's really scary!

Except for that, I think you should look into optimizing the load-time... it starts getting annoying to wait several seconds for a not-very-long-scene... but that's probably just me? :-)

/Flawless

March 11, 2002, 04:06 PM

Ok first question:
    We are just counting how many ppl installed our demo, and thats why we are calling a php script. For sure it works without that ,-)

2nd question:
    It's only a demo till now, built in an very early development stat... Thats why theres nothing like that till now. But it will deffinitly be included till the final version!

Thanks,
    Michael Gamsriegler

richard

March 11, 2002, 04:17 PM

Well, that means you're missing one vote.. sorry :)

btw. I never let any demo access the internet, just for safety reasons, and maybe I'm a bit paranoid ;)

Igor Kravtchenko

March 11, 2002, 05:02 PM

Where is the game ?
    I only see a kind of demo, and not a very good one. In a term of speed, there are some part in 3 vbls although there are not much more on the screen that basic lighted walls.
    Also I think you should diminush the rate of the storm, there are too many.
    Here is my constructive participation :)
    Good luck for your project.

Matthew Morrow

March 11, 2002, 05:09 PM

The demo is a little long, I can read text on a website, I would want something exciting happening in the demo.

Aslo 80% of it was just black for me, neat and good work, but a whole lot of nothing.

Buster

March 11, 2002, 05:13 PM

WARNING: This demo is spyware. It tries to make a web connection when I install it.

meZmo

March 11, 2002, 05:30 PM

Paranoid fools!

Trying to make a web connection doesn't make it spyware.

If you'd bothered to read previous posts, you would've seen this from Michael: "We are just counting how many ppl installed our demo, and thats why we are calling a php script."

Cry wolf!

Kurt Miller

March 11, 2002, 05:37 PM

">>Trying to make a web connection doesn't make it spyware."

I'm not sure most folks would agree with that. In any event, it would make more sense to me to have a counter on the download page and an optional counter in the installer -- ie, a warning/confirmation message about connecting to the web site.

March 11, 2002, 05:45 PM

np :-)

i'll count it ,-)

Michael Gamsriegler

meZmo

March 11, 2002, 05:51 PM

>In any event, it would make more sense to me to have a counter on
    >the download page and an optional counter in the installer -- ie, a
    >warning/confirmation message about connecting to the web site."

True as that might be, I find it quite foolish to scream out a big warning against this wonderful demo, when it has already been stated that it's a counter.

Kurt Miller

March 11, 2002, 05:51 PM

">>when it has already been stated that it's a counter."

I guess some people just don't read the other comments :)

Morgan

March 11, 2002, 07:06 PM

>In any event, it would make more sense to me to have a counter on
    >the download page and an optional counter in the installer -- ie, a
    >warning/confirmation message about connecting to the web site."

Programs should ask before opening an internet connection. I'd prefer to see a message box that asks if it is ok to report that I'm installing the demo.

-m

disableddan

March 11, 2002, 07:09 PM

Looking good!

zed zeek

March 11, 2002, 11:45 PM

my take on card compatibilty is,
    as long as it works on my card (+ its ilk) its ok, if it works on other ppls cards then thats a bonus. the thing is when youre like me + have only access to 1 computer. trying to make it complettly compatible with all cards out there when u dont have them seems like a waste of time cause youll never catch all the compatibilty issues

disableddan

March 12, 2002, 12:16 AM

1024x780x16
    constantly smooth FPS on my GeForce 2
    I love the performance- what sort of polycounts in those scenes?
    Excellent work! I can't wait to see this game...