Submitted by Louis-Charles Dumais, posted on March 09, 2002

Image Description, by Louis-Charles Dumais

I feeled artistic... its 2:00 am in Quebec and the sky is dark.

and the direct link to the file is

Have I say there is more to come?
louis

davepermen

March 09, 2002, 04:53 PM

hm dunno what it is but it looks cool:)

Albert Sandberg

March 09, 2002, 04:59 PM

hehe

EGreg

March 09, 2002, 05:01 PM

You made the toolbar artwork? :-)

-Greg

Fil

March 09, 2002, 05:07 PM

I didn't know there where so many bones in the virtual human body.. And most of them are named "Untitled"

The with spherical feet seams to have palm trees for harms :-)

That's a cool and artistic way to model a humanoid with solids

Hiro Protagonist

March 09, 2002, 06:04 PM

So what happens if you run that program?

=[Scarab]=

March 09, 2002, 06:51 PM

You made a program whose structure looks like a puppet? That's just... ehm... cool I guess. :)

=[Scarab]=

March 09, 2002, 06:52 PM

Hmm it's 1:00AM here in the Netherlands, the sky is also dark, but I can't access your site. I'll try to get your artistic .cpp file again in the morning.

richard

March 09, 2002, 07:16 PM

..and it's windy :/

Also, it looks like a 'zwarte piet' :)
(don't ask why, I just had to think of a zwarte piet by seeing your IOTD)

(don't ask what a 'zwarte piet' is, since he/she doesn't exist in non-Dutch countries, heck.. it doesn't even exist at all)

richard

March 09, 2002, 07:18 PM

You'll see green smoke coming out of your system, your monitor will turn blue, and after a few seconds everything will fly out of the window.

CGI Joe

March 09, 2002, 07:20 PM

Dance monkey dance!

Genu

March 09, 2002, 08:53 PM

I'm sorry for the access to the site. Its weekend and the server is down so a tech will only look at it monday. If you want you can complain to the departement of electrical engineering of Laval when the site will be up monday at http://www.gel.ulaval.ca.(like I'm going to do...)

However, I have setup a temporary access to the file:

First you will need to download a public release of genu here:

then using the software, you can take a look at the file which is the result of the image above:

the project website on monday will be running again at http://www.gel.ulaval.ca/~dumais01/genu

Again I'm really sorry ;-)
louis

Genu

March 09, 2002, 08:58 PM

yes! It's my vision of programming;-)

the software is available at

see my other post for why the files arent accessible.

louis

ADVISOR

March 09, 2002, 09:24 PM

It looks weird, but in fact it's cool ...
lol

I see this person is heavily wounded ... with bone

He has (abviously) no problems with pens , because ... they grow for free

no more comments

MikeW

March 09, 2002, 09:44 PM

Can no one else see that this is a heat-imaging picture of Edward Scissor-Hands after a serious joint & upper arm work out?!

Mike.

Genu

March 09, 2002, 11:32 PM

Just a question: Someone know if there is a professional package based on skeleton modeling( then you could add some flesh for making the models organic)?

I know metaballs but its not as simple and fun as using Genu.

[-WD40-]

March 10, 2002, 12:29 AM

Nice work!

This is a brilliant use of the 16 colors palette, huge optimization must have been made. The concept is quite original too, "Untitled" man in a "No-content" world, this could make for a great game plot.

But what about lens flares? I think this would add a lot to the scene ;)

=[Scarab]=

March 10, 2002, 04:12 AM

heck.. it doesn't even exist at all

Neeeee! Dat meen je niet! Zeg dat het niet waar is!!!!! :,(

:P

=[Scarab]=

March 10, 2002, 04:15 AM

ROFL. :)

But what about lens flares? I think this would add a lot to the scene ;)

Why is everyone modelling cameras instead of (human) eyes? :)

Tron

March 10, 2002, 04:49 AM

is this 'zwarte piet' something like the german 'Wolperdinger'?

Gorm Lai

March 10, 2002, 05:35 AM

I really like the concept of genu. The problem for me is that, from what I remember, is that it is unable to generate projects from existing source files. As long as that is impossible, it has no interest.

richard

March 10, 2002, 06:09 AM

Well, I've never heard of a "Wolperdinger" either, so I just did a little GoogleSearch (

richard

March 10, 2002, 06:11 AM

Sorry ;)

richard

March 10, 2002, 06:20 AM

"then you could add some flesh for making the models organic"

You can do something like that with 3DS MAX + MetaReyes

Squint

March 10, 2002, 07:39 AM

I like the way excessive use of the word 'untitled' gives it a kind of retro-motion-blur look :o)

El Wolf

March 10, 2002, 12:36 PM

Cool

opi

March 10, 2002, 12:36 PM

Aussi les francais dois utiliser l'englais pour les variables dans un programme C++. Que tu pense?

Sorry for the bad french.

Cheers
opi

Genu

March 10, 2002, 12:44 PM

You can use any names for variables in C++. French, Japanese, dutch.... everything is good.

louis

Genu

March 10, 2002, 12:46 PM

Stay tuned something could be coming on this side "soon"...

("soon" means a few months for sure:-)

Tron

March 10, 2002, 01:23 PM

i'm pretty sure that kenji (japanese 'letters') are not ansi-c compatible (:
as well as all latin letters with ' or ^ aren't allowed

opi

March 10, 2002, 01:29 PM

Ok I'm starting to get it now.

- cannot use tab in the content window
- rotate is well done once you dig how it works
- how about being able to activate a grid?
- cut/ paste should work with the mouse too
if you click and hold for a while it would cut
you can then move the object up and down the tree and paste

I'll think about how I could actually get work done with this. Maybe I'll post more feedback later.

BTW It was sunny the whole day.

Cheers