Submitted by Michael Fawcett, posted on March 02, 2002

Image Description, by Michael Fawcett

These are 2 screenshots from my final project at Full Sail. We had a team of 4 and 2 months to complete the project from scratch.

Features:
  • Particle Systems for spell effects
  • DOF animation for all player models
  • SceneGraph traversing for rendering and culling
  • Multiplayer support (Client/Server model: We haven't stress tested to find out the limit, but we played 5 clients with no noticeable increase in lag, i'm guessing we could handle 10-15 clients)
  • Menu System
  • OpenAL for 3D positional sound.
  • The game is called Relic and is a First/Third Person Shooter. The player can choose from a Max-Payne style view or a typical FPS view.. Instead of using guns though there are 4 classes of wizards that the user can play, each one with 5 unique spells.

Relic is multi-player only at the moment. We used Quazal's Net-Z API for the networking. Net-Z is being used by Microsoft for the X-Box's multiplayer support as well.

There are 4 levels, one for each wizard class. Pictured are the Elementalist in his Volcano level, and the Naturalist wizard in his Garden level. The screenshots are from our observer camera so that you could get a better view of the level, the spell, and the character.

There are particle effects for meteors, poison clouds, insect swarms, dirt explosions, snow fall, and fire.

We used Multigen Creator to make all the character and level models. The scenegraph in Creator worked great because we used OpenSceneGraph for the rendering and model loading in our engine. We had to add DOF support to the .flt loader in OpenSceneGraph so that we could do the animation for our characters. We were planning on using sequence animation, but went with DOF to use less memory.

OpenAL was used for the 3D positional sound. We implemented an add-on to the .flt loader so that we could place sound in the level using Creator. We used the sound coordinates to handle ambient sound effects, such as lava bubbling, crickets, crows, etc.

More screenshots are available at my homepage http://home.cfl.rr.com/snuff/

There is no download available at this time. Besides the distro is around 500 MB so i doubt anyone would download it.

DarkReaper

March 03, 2002, 01:20 PM

Those egyptian textures sure do look like they're from Serious Sam...

Hiro Protagonist

March 03, 2002, 02:34 PM

You have a piece of clipart as your homepage's main graphic. Clipart. How can you, with any conscience, come in here and bash this guy's hard work? I looked at your sourcecode too. Very poor. You should probably start worrying about yourself, rather than the IOTD. Although, me and my friends did get a good laugh at your sourcecode. Thanks for that anyway.

grigi

March 03, 2002, 03:10 PM

2 months for that...
    **clap** **clap** **clap** **clap**
    Well my best quick little proram was a 2-day proxy server, It works kinda OK

Man with speed of development like that...

Igor Kravtchenko

March 03, 2002, 03:11 PM

I'm not sure that saying "woow, it's the most beautiful shots I've never seen" will really help you. So, in the opposite of other people I will merely be honest.
    Your game looks amateur. Look at your texture, they don't even loop properly. The caracter is "twisted" (badly bones'ed ?) and the all are very polygoned. Honestly, I would never buy a such game. But ofcourse that would not probably be your goal :-)
    Otherwhise, making something of showable in only 2 months is nice.

Max

March 03, 2002, 03:41 PM

I'm really impressed. I've been working on a project full-time for about 7 months with 4 other people and this seems better than what we've been able to accomplish in that time!

Max

Rasmus Christian Kaae

March 03, 2002, 04:21 PM

> (PS: The funny thing is that you even provide a link to your own demo's... "Briantro"?)

I can't follow your lead on this one? What are you implying? That I should delete some file that I made when I was 15-16 years old?

Rasmus Christian Kaae

March 03, 2002, 04:22 PM

My main (unspoken) point was merely that people should rather write "This is nice, but you should definitly improve this or that" instead of just instantly write "Whoaaa, this is cool". Constructive critisism is cool.

Rasmus Christian Kaae

March 03, 2002, 04:25 PM

It depends on what code you're looking at. If you're looking at the code I have released with some of my demos/intros then you're absolutely right - it's crap and very much spaghetti code. If you on the other hand care too look at the code that was intended to be released for learning purposes it's very well documented and structure.

Now go eat a muffin.

Kurt Miller

March 03, 2002, 04:33 PM

">>I read comments like this that make me never want to come back to flipcode (at least the IOTD part). This elite-ist "thats not so cool" attitude is so stupid. Every ITOD there is always some stuck-up nerd that feels he is under attack because someone else is showing off their work, and must say something negative and put down that person. Why? Grow up."

While I completely agree that some people should take better care wording their criticism, I don't understand how 1 disrespectful comment out of an average 30-40 per image is enough to make you never want to view the IOTD again. Especially when that 1 isn't even an everyday occurence. Just ignore the people you don't agree with ;).

stoo

March 03, 2002, 04:51 PM

where are you seeing the textures not loop properly?

stoo

Michael Fawcett

March 03, 2002, 05:26 PM

It is amateur, heh. "Student project" yes yes.

Where are the textures messed up though? We'd fix that before GDC.

Vlion.

March 12, 2002, 11:12 AM

The falling lava.
    Its not stitched and looks kinda bad.