Submitted by Vander Nunes, posted on February 27, 2002

Image Description, by Vander Nunes

This is a screenshot from a personal project, called TAGARELA. This is a simple toy that repeats whatever the user is speaking through the microphone. The point is that it is realtime. The user can change the playback speed and apply a few available filters in realtime, and that is it.

The application is a little simplistic as it is now, but I am surprised with the actual feedback from the people that tried it. The toy was a success in a recent familiar party (I was showing the Pocket PC version, and the people loved it).

Initially I was planning lots of filters and effects, but I decided to make it simple. I am a little busy with other projects right now, but I have plans to make a new version with plugin support for filters and effects, and some other nice ideas as well.

There are two versions of the toy, one for Desktop PCs and one for Pocket PCs. I will be releasing the toy as a shareware (but without any limitations).

Although I'm not representing a company, I am working on a domain name and site, that is: http://www.virtware.net -- be welcome, there you'll find more info and binary downloads.

Cheers,

Dragoon

February 27, 2002, 02:09 PM

Nice idea... Since You are have a PocketPc version also, I dont think you´re using hardware FX ,right ?
(BTW: First)

Mattman

February 27, 2002, 02:19 PM

Hey, I like the GUI from what I can see in the screenshot. Sounds like a nifty little application that would be fun to fool around with. I'll definately give a try!

Alexander Blach

February 27, 2002, 03:13 PM

Sounds like an interesting toy.

Unfortunately the download doesn't seem to work. I get a "File not found!" error.

elikez

February 27, 2002, 03:55 PM

It seems that you are using a non-rectangular window.
Now that's not really special, as many other applications are using non-rectangular windows... and it is raelly easy to program with windows regions.
But what makes your version special, is the fact that there's a shadow and that the border of the window is antialiased. The only way of doing this in Windows, as much as I undestand, is using the new win2k alpha channel support. So I was just wondering about the speeds... Can you drag the window smoothly? does Windows draw everything from the beginning when you move the window, or does it use normal alpha-blitting techniques?

Sorry for asking this unrelated question, but it's the first time I see someone actually using win2k's alpha channel abilities for non-rectangular windows.

Stefan Karlsson

February 27, 2002, 04:57 PM

i made antialiased windows working in w98 to the dirty way.. its fast as long as its made with proper maps ie.. it only updates alpha when its not is moved and if an object goes behind it .. it will look bad ;-) but who cares.. works nicely so far i think... (it was used in a demoscene release but since i bet NOONE here would like that release i wont post url for it ;-)

MadCow

February 27, 2002, 05:12 PM

Hehe, here is one thing I will never be able to grasp. Why is it important whether or not your comment is the first? I mean with an average of 30 comments of each IOTD its not THAT big an achivement, or?

AndersO

February 27, 2002, 05:45 PM

What, are you crazy?! Wouldn't you want to be first sometime?! :)
(And you get a free membership in the secret first IOTD posters club)

Aoshi

February 27, 2002, 05:58 PM

Would that happen to be the Rebels Chip Musicdisk #2? :)

Brett Johnson

February 27, 2002, 07:28 PM

I have been looking EVERYWHERE for some information on how to make non-standard windows and controls.

The UI above looks great!

I hope this isn't too far off topic. But if anyone could send me a point in the right direction on this stuff, it would be hugely appreciated.

I am comfortable writing windows apps (both dialog based and not). But I have always wanted to delve in to making custom looking UI's.

Thanks!

Brett

bgl

February 27, 2002, 07:28 PM

What does it mean that you can change the "rate" of the sound
as it's being played? If you change the rate to be faster than
normal, do you foresee what the user will say in the future,
and play it back before the user has even said it? If you change
the rate to be slower than normal, do you start writing data to
disk so that you can play it back later when the playback gets
to that point, or do you just crash when you run out of memory?

Or are you actually doing constant-rate pitch change? If so,
does it sound any good?

February 27, 2002, 08:26 PM

The bandwidth of the temporary site has exceeded. I am waiting a new web-space, but until it is ready, please try here:

TAGARELA ENGLISH

TAGARELA PORTUGUÊS

Unfortunately this server doesn't authorize executable downloads, so I had to zip them.

February 27, 2002, 08:35 PM

Yes, there is no hardware FX, indeed.

And, the toy is for ARM devices only (iPaq and newer PPC2002 devices). And, on the old iPaqs, the user must upgrade ROM to at least version 1.87.

February 27, 2002, 08:38 PM

Unfortunately the massive number of access coming from Flipcode knocked the site down (exceeded the bandwidth limit).

I am trying to put it at another place.

For now please download from HERE

February 27, 2002, 08:41 PM

The interface is a irregular window, but the shadow was added manually after taking the screenshot.

I knew about the Win2K alpha support, but I didn't want to give it a try for now. Maybe in the future.

February 27, 2002, 08:42 PM

No one? I would like to see, I love demos. Please give us the link. =)

February 27, 2002, 08:51 PM

Take a look on the SetWindowRgn() and related functions. Support for irregular windows is really easy and straightforward.

February 27, 2002, 08:58 PM

You have to try the app. Although it repeats the user while he|she is talking, this isn't the only behavior.

At first I was implementing a pitch changer without changing the playback speed. But it turned out to be a little complex for the time and I was in a hurry to finish this first beta version, so I left this feature out.

There is a "silence timer" that counts the time the user stopped talking, followed by a playback.

If the playback reachs the user talking, it just stops and waits until a next opportunity to start playing back again.

There are no (expected) crashes because of that.

This is a beta release, though. There are probably some bugs to be found yet.

ghost007

February 27, 2002, 10:23 PM

Cool app! UI is really well done.

BTW, personal hosted web servers 4-ever =D. No quota, no hassles, no fuss. Course, personal bandwidth is always an issue, but its all good =)

Defiance

February 27, 2002, 11:49 PM

Cool App! I like the interface as well.

On a side note, what ever became of the 3D engine you were working on?

Any helpful technical information, tips, and/or advice for others gained from the experience of creating it? Just curious, I had been following its progress and then the site disappeared.

-Defiance

February 28, 2002, 01:58 AM

(Un)fortunately, actually I use a 256kb cable modem from an ISP that does not permit access from the outside. I am behind their router/firewall.

Well, this is an interesting issue for me, as I even did a little app to get inside my box. But it works connecting to me at outside, not receiving my connections.

If you know a way to bypass the ISP, I'll be very glad to hear!

Thanks

February 28, 2002, 01:59 AM

Please do so, and be free to give me some feedback! Thanks =)

February 28, 2002, 02:10 AM

Well, in resume, I am working on it yet. =)

(LOL)

Expanding the topic a little, the main cause why I didn't finish the engine yet is because I just have to work a lot (and a lot) on other less interesting things, just to make some money and survive modestly on the dotted-bump-photon-mapped surface of our rage world. =)

But I'm quite perseverant, dude, I'll finish one cool engine someday, even if it is more 30 years from now, but *I WILL*. =)

Thank you for asking!

dEViNiTY

February 28, 2002, 03:17 AM

Nice idea indeed.
Perhaps you could indicate the pitch in musical notes (cdefgab) for us musicians out there. And ofcourse a disk writer would be nice.

Keep it up!

dev

Armin

February 28, 2002, 05:12 AM

Nice Toy. I like applications (other than games) that are absolutely useless exept for
amusement. To make it useful: I imagine a band or DJ at a live performance
shouting some paroles through this app. Should be much cheaper than a
usal effect processor...

February 28, 2002, 11:38 AM

OK, this feature was in one of the alpha-versions, but it was removed along with some others.

I will try to put it in again for the next beta.

Thank you for suggesting!

February 28, 2002, 11:41 AM

Yeah, this is a little useless app, just for fun.

To become really useful I'll have to implement the plugin system and at least some other filters in addition to the actual ones, and probably a simple automation system, so DJs could 'program' the system and create their pre-made custom effects.

Thank you for suggesting!

Bemmu Sepponen

March 02, 2002, 02:27 PM

Actually there is a positive side to this "first!" thing. If you've ever had a bulletin board system you know that getting the first initial messages can be really tough. But when someone says something, it can really start up the conversation.

Of course if it's just bare "first" then it isn't very interesting.