Submitted by Tero Kontkanen, posted on February 25, 2002

Image Description, by Tero Kontkanen

Here are some screenshots from my St*rCraft like realtime strategy/action game called Executor.

Some features:
  • Supports SDL/OpenGL API
  • Realtime terrain tesslation (using Demeter Terrain Rendering Engine)
  • Huge maps, the area of the snow scene is about 420 kmē
  • Heightmap resolution in the snow scene is 2048x2048 vertices
  • Unique texture for the terrain with detail mapping
  • Long view distances (10 km in snow scene)
  • Particle Effect system with depth sorting and post-rendering
  • Possibility to use cubic interpolation with keyframe animations of models
  • Real proportions of units: Marines look like ants compared to battleships and buildings
  • The project is in early development stage and isn't very playable yet. As you can see, there is no any kind of sky or trees or stuff like that. There aren't very many units and the existing ones are missing many features but some basic movement and attacking algorithms work quite well already.

The game is OpenSorce project under General Public License. The sources and datafiles can be downloaded from http://www.saunalahti.fi/~kkhuolto/executor. It currently runs under Linux systems.

Morgan

February 25, 2002, 02:29 PM

shadows make everything better. nice.

-m

Kippesoep

February 25, 2002, 02:34 PM

Looks very promising. How did you generate the terrain?

Flying Wombat

February 25, 2002, 02:36 PM

Really impressive looking. One suggestion (something i've always been looking for in a game like this): let the player be able to control individual units if they want to (like a FPS sort of). I always thought that would introduce new elements to the game. Anyway, really nice, keep it up. Any chance you'll do a PC port soon?

loonie

February 25, 2002, 03:15 PM

i wonder how would it look like as a FPS. looks very cool ,but camera is far away from the ground.. how do u handle those 420kmē ?
    scaling, or what? yep a win port would be nice:)

Albert Sandberg

February 25, 2002, 03:23 PM

The top left shot looks very nice ... realistic actually... but then you go down on more detail I think you will need a detail texture to make things a little nicer and not just look so stretched out.

cherio
    Albert

abdulla

February 25, 2002, 03:37 PM

the shadows really add to it :)

DirtySouthAfrican

February 25, 2002, 03:42 PM

Chicken soup is always too watery for me... what's your secret?

puglet

February 25, 2002, 04:39 PM

wow.. impressive! Makes me want to play RTS's :)

MiNDHiVE

February 25, 2002, 04:49 PM

erm... Linux is a PC OS, so this is a PC game. Since SDL is cross platform and I believe Demeter is also it should be trivial to port across to Win32 (which is what I think you meant). It's even possible that the source would compile without change.

Alex Taylor

February 25, 2002, 05:24 PM

Nice shots, but I thought you should know there's a Mac emulator called Executor. It's been around for yonks.

Diragor

February 25, 2002, 05:40 PM

At the risk of going off-topic, you should try and find a PC game called Wargasm. It's the closest thing I've seen to that idea. If I remember correctly (this was a couple years ago) I think you had to choose the type of unit you would control out of helicopters, tanks and foot soldiers. I think you had a certain number of units but I don't remember if they were all in play at once or not. Control was first-person and remarkably balanced considering the disadvantage you'd assume for the foot soldier. The game looked good and the design was so cool I really wanted to like it but the control was horrible and I remember control customization being limited. Worth a look, at least.

Phychi

February 25, 2002, 06:31 PM

Machines (Acclaim) features a first-person perspective and lets you hop into and control any of your units ...

Waramp

February 25, 2002, 07:52 PM

Battlezone....Hello?

Sweet game, IMO. RTS, but allowed you to control any vehicle, you could
    even run around on foot and hijack an enemy vehicle if you wanted.

You can prolly get both of them in bargain bin for 20$ apiece nowadays.

Genu

February 25, 2002, 09:29 PM

Truly impressive shots..! Will you had a more first person option if you want to be on the ground(like in renegade)?

louis
    __-___-__-__--_-_-----____--_-_____--_-_-----___----_-_--_

zed zeek

February 25, 2002, 10:57 PM

u can do this terrain with perlin noise

hlusnagen

February 25, 2002, 11:04 PM

Impresive (for an "early developmetn" project).
    I have some questions.
    _1. I see Self-shadowing on the biggest picture, is that aplied with bump-maping? Or is it in the shadow-map?.

_2. What measuring units do you use? Since APIs like d3d and ogl dont have things like killometers and feet.

_3. Are you using dynamic-terain, because 4194304 vetices is alot.

- thanx.

Hemp

February 25, 2002, 11:07 PM

Are the shadows fixed?

That is to say, did you bake the shadows into the terrain texture?

El Wolf

February 25, 2002, 11:19 PM

Nice Work... I would love to see the finished product, looks like you're on to something real cool.

matt benic

February 26, 2002, 02:54 AM

Yeah, and battlezone 2. Gorgeous game (not just for it's time.. It still looks really good). Only prob was some SERIOUS slowdown with too many units on screen, but with todays machines that shouldnt be a problem anymore. It doesnt use any topdown views though.. entirely fp.. except if you enter certain structures that give you a 'strategic' view

Jonas Eschenburg

February 26, 2002, 05:48 AM

The terrain looks really impressive. Especially the terrain texture is very high-quality. How did you generate it? Written your own tool? Used terragen?

Jonas

executor

February 26, 2002, 09:04 AM

It seems to be better reply to everyone in one post:

Well, it would be quite difficult to add more detail on textures because it already uses one large texturemap (2048x2048 RGB) with detail texture. The texture and heightfields are generated with Terragen. Also shadows are rendered (with Terragen) in the terrain texture.

First person control would be cool, indeed, but the game isn't designed for that and it wouldn't be easy to implement. Some additional camera modes, which would follow untis or view the first person view, probably will be implemented :-)

hlusnagen:
    1) I answered this earlier
    2) Right, APIs don't have any real units. I decided that "1.0" in OpenGL equals to one meter.
    3) Yes, it uses dynamic terrain (some kind of CLOD)

MiNDHiVE: The game code is very portable and even Demeter works under Windows. Probably it would compile on W32 with little or no changes =)

EGreg

February 26, 2002, 11:51 AM

Okay guys, since you're talking about stuff like this, I had an idea for a war3-like thing except first-person, and there were a few possibilities...

1) You could switch from one person to the next and while you are controlling one person the other people do what they think is best given their last orders/actions. You would be notified when crucial events happen like someone is being attacked, etc. so you can switch to them to micromanage their battle if you want.

2) You control only one person and everyone else does what they think is best, following your lead, perhaps following your orders, but when you die you can switch to someone else on your team. In other words "the survivor is the one to tell the story." :-)

3) The heroes go on different quests and you play first for one then for another, switching when you complete a specified quest/level. The quests of course affect each other and so this is more of a plot device than a gameplay device.

You can also add various elements, like

a) You stop at various points and give detailed orders to your teammates, kind of along the lines of Rainbow 6 planning, except not that detailed.

b) Informational items telling you statistics on team members or whatnot. Or perhaps team members are actually very inferior to you and in that case you can do something like a "commander and helper drones FPS" instead of a "team FPS"

c) more stuff that I forgot since I came up with this a year ago, hehehe.

Keep in mind that this lends itself much better to an adventure-type genre. I have in fact came up with a whole plot for a "team FPS" game... that's what you can call this genre I guess.

I was not going to say it but since I don't have time to pursue these games anyway, there's no reason I can't tell you guys, and maybe someone will make it. I have lots of design ideas like that, and they are much more fully developed than the details I'm leaking here. Someone should hire me for a job. *wink* Pleas!e *more winks* :-)

Cheers,
    -Greg

PS: I'm not going to give out my idea for my racing game. Don't beg. What can I say, I'm just so awesome.

EGreg

February 26, 2002, 11:52 AM

You can also add various elements, like

c) more stuff that I forgot since I came up with this a year ago, hehehe.

Cheers,
    -Greg

PS: I'm not going to give out my idea for a racing game. Don't beg. What can I say, I'm just so awesome...

Sebastian Sylvan

February 26, 2002, 12:11 PM

Don't flatter youself. An idea means nothing. Absolutely nothing. The on-sentence-concept is useless, everyone has them. I mean who among us doesn't have a "great" game idea? I don't see any hands...

It's not outlining the general game idea that's hard. It's tweaking it, changing it when you find out it's not any fun. It's making those little decisions and keeping it all coherent and fun that's hard.

Ton's of crappy games were made with "great" idea's (Daikatana for instance) and ton's of absolutely great games were made from extremly tacky game ideas (Like Half-Life).

Game ideas are a dime a dozen. Good designers to follow through and pull a game together are much harder to come by.

vrempire

February 27, 2002, 07:20 AM

mannnn..........
    this guy sure make me feel wanna published my own work......
    damn.....can't wait to do it inside my website.

Cybersled

February 27, 2002, 10:17 PM

Sebastian,
    I agree with you that Greg's game idea doesnt translate into a great game. For one because it's not all that appealing to everyone. Second because it isnt worked out properly as you say.

But you make it sound as if great game ideas are not important. They are absolutely vital before you start making a game. And of course Half Life does have a great game idea, who told you the idea behind it is not?_?

It is a good thing Alexey Pajitnov didnt stop by to discuss his great idea for a "falling blocks game" with you, before he started to work on it...