Submitted by Rich Wilson, posted on February 23, 2002

Image Description, by Rich Wilson

This is a small project I worked on for a computer graphics class at the university I go to, as well as a seed idea for an adventure game I've been pondering. It's basically an overhead adventure game mapped to a cube. The cube is rotated with the mouse and the player is moved via the keyboard. There are no gameplay elements besides movement and collision detection as of yet, but that may be forthcoming. Some of the features include: multipass texturing ( the water is environment mapped for pseudo reflections, and the texture undulates as well ), alpha blended cloud layer, particle systems for the fountains, imported 3d objects ( the castle), skybox, billboarded light glow effects, and collision detection for the character. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Morgan

February 23, 2002, 05:08 PM

Neat idea!

I think there's a bug with your starry skybox-- you shouldn't be able to see the individual planes of it. Always draw the skybox centered around the camera, not the center of the (square) world.

-m

DirtySouthAfrican

February 23, 2002, 05:26 PM

word.

Daxx909

February 23, 2002, 05:28 PM

Where's the link to the demo? This pic doesn't really tickle my brain as much as it *could* do!

DirtySouthAfrican

February 23, 2002, 05:55 PM

Old Mac Donald had a farm...

...You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Jari Komppa

February 23, 2002, 05:57 PM

That looks like it could turn into one wacky experience =)

richard

February 23, 2002, 05:59 PM

Hah! The world is flat! I knew it!

Flawless

February 23, 2002, 06:03 PM

It's only flat on the sides! :-)

Sebastian Sylvan

February 23, 2002, 06:24 PM

I think you should spend some more polys on making the edges of the cube rounded. It would look a lot nicer I think.

William Dahlberg

February 23, 2002, 06:34 PM

Cool idea!
But how do you play it? What's the task? A demo available?

abdulla

February 23, 2002, 06:50 PM

now to make a round world :)

SirKnight

February 23, 2002, 07:34 PM

Ya, and it's pointy on the corners! :)

bigcheese

February 23, 2002, 09:31 PM

or.. why not go all out and make it into a sphere? Cubes are cool :)

disableddan

February 23, 2002, 10:43 PM

Sounds interesting... maybe you could make it so one day the residents of "cube world" decide to take over the whole cube, leaving the other cube people to defend it or something... I dunno!

Nice work on the graphics, although the stars should be parallax i think... it would make them look more like real space. I'd really like to see this in action!

CGameProgrammer

February 23, 2002, 11:19 PM

Definitely an interesting, and very weird idea. Looks cool, but I don't understand the point. Why does the player explore a cube instead of a regular landscape? Or is it basically just something you've done for the novelty of it?

Prunesquallor

February 23, 2002, 11:29 PM

And it's sharp at the edges!

Ben Hanson

February 24, 2002, 12:17 AM

Looks like something I did a long time ago, only I used heightmaps and you were inside the cube o heightmapped terrain rather then the outside.

I did this, originally, to get around the limitations of height map terrain (ie, can't have over hanging cliffs and stuff like that). Then I used it for various weird and cool things.. I ditched it after I started making objects out of the same principle and animating them via animating the heightmap textures (this was not normal looking animation ;p ).. figured I had gone a tad overboard ;)

krogoth

February 24, 2002, 02:46 AM

Actually, that is done in Half-Life. That doesn't make it right of course, but it's not bad, and if it's good enough for them...

kewldude

February 24, 2002, 03:18 AM

Of course you could have the skybox centered around the world and not the camera, but then you'd have to make the skybox 2^345 times bigger than the world. No, that method sucks, instead we do an approximation, we center the skybox around the camera. Why do we do all this? Well in the real world you won't be able to move fast enough to se the sky move, so we use a fixed skybox that doesn't move with the camera.

Jari Komppa

February 24, 2002, 03:29 AM

Hm.. if you'd have a world the shape of a cube, but gravity and stuff like that worked as before, you'd get an interesting world indeed. Bear with me, as I know such a thing wouldn't really work; erosion would take care of it in a couple million years, to begin with..

All six sides of the world would be "flat", with a mass of water in the center, along with most of the population. As you'd travel outwards from the center things would start to tilt outwards, trees in odd angles, then there would be less and less soil, and "mountain range" in the end. You'd probably also run out of oxygen before getting to the edge.

Now, what would the sociology be on a world like this.. fear of the 'edge', with some rare travellers who have gone over the edges and found new 'worlds'..

hlusnagen

February 24, 2002, 04:02 AM

Sweet!
I would like to see multiple layers of cloud with diferent dencytis of texture blend factors, that will give it way more volume then just a cube-shape.

Peter Mackay

February 24, 2002, 04:19 AM

Looks nice! It's good to see people bucking the trend.

disableddan

February 24, 2002, 07:01 AM

Maybe you could make the first totally realistic cube-world simulation... :)

L.e.Denninger

February 25, 2002, 04:16 AM

The world is NOT flat.

The world is ROUND !!!!!

As round as a pancake!

Simon O'Connor

February 25, 2002, 10:24 AM

Cool! A larger scale game world on a cube is quite a nice idea.

[plug]
Reminds me of some of the stranger levels we had in Pac-Man:AIT

[/plug]

An interesting problem we had with Pac-Man is what you do when the characters get to the edge or corner of a face - how do you animate them going over the corner? - i.e. do they just "pop" onto the neighbouring face or do they do something else. One idea could be to have a cube with rounded edges.