Submitted by TheWanderer, posted on February 17, 2002

Image Description, by TheWanderer

This is a screenshot that has been taken from our game "Takatis". It's a 2D side scrolling game in a similar style to the old classics like "Katakis" or "R-Type" on the C64, and it's a tribute to Manfred Trenz. Somehow we never really managed to leave behind the old days of the C64, so with our project we decided to swim against the flow and not to be carried away with the current boom in first person shooters. The only real difference between our game and the old classics are the real-time rendered 3D end of level bosses. The screenshot shows "The Brain" (final level end boss) in action.

Anyone who still remembers the good old times with tears in his eyes, can download the full version of the game game for free from http://www.poke53280.de.vu (currently only available as German language version).

cya...Poke53280

tobbe

February 17, 2002, 05:14 PM

Retro is in!

=[Scarab]=

February 17, 2002, 05:17 PM

Is it just me, or are there a lot of 2d space shooters being made these days? :)
Anyway, it looks great. Any details on which API(s) you used? Since the game requires DX7 I guess DirectDraw, DirectSound, DirectInput?

Roch Denis

February 17, 2002, 05:18 PM

"we decided to swim against the flow"

Hehe, I guess you havent checked flipcode lately ^_^

Just poking fun at ya, I love those kind of games.

Flawless

February 17, 2002, 05:41 PM

Absolutely brilliant!! :-)

If would love to help you make an english, or even danish version. Do your current plans include localization?

YvL

February 17, 2002, 05:45 PM

yep. for few months we watched terrain renderers, earlier quake map renderers, and now comes the era of 2d scroller arcades... But still a great work! And quite good graphics.

CGameProgrammer

February 17, 2002, 06:30 PM

Impressive. I liked the power levels for the weapons, and the code overlay in the High Score screen is cool =)

Udderdude

February 17, 2002, 09:53 PM

Nothing says 'final boss' like a giant brain in a tube :D

I'm downloading it, will try it later on tonight ;)

Wonko

February 17, 2002, 11:36 PM

Good Job, I will definetly enjoy this one.

BTW I don't quite understand why some people tend to 'criticise'
stuff just because it is not unique or somthing similar has been seen on IOTD a couple of times.

I like to think of IOTD as a means of sharing stuff (and to show off a little maybe ;).

If you're just looking for entertainment, go out and watch a movie.

YvL

February 18, 2002, 02:26 AM

I'm not cirticising the game. The game is good. Very good. And because it's finished, it's even better. I respect people who finish games.
I'm just sad, because often there is a tendency - when one shows his strategy game - everybody posts strategy games. It seems people are afraid (or are too forgetfull ;) to post their games before anybody else posts the game of the same kind.

MadButch

February 18, 2002, 04:04 AM

It looks really great!

I'm gonna download it and check it out!

jeti

February 18, 2002, 04:04 AM

Hi! Wonderful game. I esp. like the sounds (powerups etc).
Sometimes it's a little hard to distinguish foreground
from background. Maybe you should try to slightly blur
the background or something.

Somehow those horizontal bars in the menus made me instantly
think of my old Amiga (sniff).

Arne Rosenfeldt

February 18, 2002, 04:10 AM

Why are the system requirements for a C64-Game above my
AMD K6-300 riva128 ? :-(

stoo

February 18, 2002, 04:37 AM

Looks really nice - im downloading it now. I've enjoyed all the 2d games on here lately, theres nothing like a simple shoot-em-up to to have some basic fun.

And your boss monster looks a bit like the floaty things in the second to last r-type delta level... Can you only destroy it from its ass end too? :)

stoo

disc

February 18, 2002, 05:09 AM

Im just sitting here waiting for someone to post a pic showing any of the things i'm working on.

Like a 3d first person-rail shooter :) or... better be quiet.

Matt P76

February 18, 2002, 06:07 AM

Good work, very good to see.

Do you have any info on tech specs, techniques used, APIs used, tools etc...
This is a dev site afterall ;)

- Matt

EGreg

February 18, 2002, 08:32 AM

Oh man you got carried away by the new trend in 2D space shooters that is so new and radical most of you have probably not heard about it yet, including the authors. SELLOUTS!

Okay, just kidding. Cool retro stuff, methinks :-)

-Yay is in,
cheers,
Greg

Bunnz

February 18, 2002, 12:09 PM

Hi

Really cool I like those type of games (to play and also to develop)!
R-Type is perhaps the best game ever!

Have fun
Bunnz
Visit: www.bunnz.com

sanjo

February 18, 2002, 04:34 PM

just played it. it's really FUN.

how long did it take from your first triangle to that lil game?

MaxSt

February 20, 2002, 12:13 PM

I hope one day somebody will finally make a terrain-rendered-2d-scroller.
I really hope so. :)

illegalinstruction

March 11, 2002, 10:18 PM

This looks _very_ cool - kind of reminds me of 'Pulstar' or 'Blazing Star'...