Submitted by Mean Fox, posted on February 16, 2002

Image Description, by Mean Fox

World Saver 3D looks somewhat better now. In the latest version, I have just added moving fractal clouds, geostationary viewpoints, "time acceleration", and a few other enhancements.

The fractal clouds just use random midpoint displacement - very fast, but clearly inferior to other techniques such as Perlin noise.

Look forward to receiving any feedback (yes, I know everyone wants to see the moon too!)

Mean Fox

Bunnz

February 16, 2002, 02:07 PM

Looks nice!

The earth would appear more realistic if you add real mountains => heightmap on the sphere!

Have fun
Bunnz
Visit: www.bunnz.com

Kevin

February 16, 2002, 02:08 PM

It sure looks nice, albeit slow. I'm in a dual-mon setup and it takes up both monitors (which is cool), but then it's not hardware accelerated. Going through it's setup, I can't locate any option to restrict it to the default monitor (thus gaining hardware acceleration in OpenGL).

Otherwise, I like a lot!

richard

February 16, 2002, 02:27 PM

Looks great, but I would indeed use a bumpmap for more reality :)

Sebastian Sylvan

February 16, 2002, 02:31 PM

Agree with previous posters and I also think that you need to work on the sun. Not just an all yellow flare... It should be more white in the middle and sort of orange/yellow fading to black at the edges. IMHO.

ector

February 16, 2002, 02:32 PM

are you really sure that a bumpmap would be realistic... are there really mountains that are big enough to be represented by a pixel on a bumpmap? the bumpmap would have to be pretty damn high res anyway..

but perhaps it would look better with bumps, even if not realistic..

Mockery

February 16, 2002, 02:43 PM

Well, since there are visible mountains in the texture map, I would imagine an equivalently detailed bumpmap would be sufficient.

Also, I think a bumpmap would be more realistic than 'physical' mountains, because they accuratley reflect the fact that compared to the size of the earth, mountains are insignificant and wouldn't be noticeable in a silhouette.

Flying Wombat

February 16, 2002, 03:05 PM

Really quite nice looking. Personally I think the earth looks fine (though bumpmaps wouldn't hurt anything ;) but I think the sun needs some work. It seems to me it should be a little brighter and should be textured better. The lens flare is cool. Other than that, nice work.

337

February 16, 2002, 03:09 PM

At this distance from the earth, I say better to bump map, not heightmap. No mountains are big enough to actually change the sillouette of the earth.

William Dahlberg

February 16, 2002, 04:25 PM

Cool stuff!
The sun doesn't look that nice though, make it a lot brighter! =)

hlusnagen

February 16, 2002, 04:42 PM

wasent this in the IOTD post already??!!

hdmx

February 16, 2002, 04:59 PM

Earth's diameter is 12,756km. Mount Everest is 8,850m high. That's not even half a pixel :)

hdmx

Megahertz

February 16, 2002, 07:17 PM

Pretty nice.

I'd like to make a suggestion. I think it would be really cool if it could be made to run in real time. Meaning, that the earth rotates according to what time it is. So that you could see how the earth is rotated in relation to the sun and stuff. Might need an option to select what timezone ur in or something. Also be able to set a transform as well so you could view it from a different angle instead of viewing it from the sun all the time, as would be the case if this were implemented.

Either way, really cool stuff.

-=[ Megahertz ]=-

disableddan

February 16, 2002, 07:30 PM

I'm not sure if this already exists, but it would be cool if you could have a way to add our own cities- whenI downloaded it before (i suppose when you made the IOTD before) the city of Edmonton (where I live) was missing, and the closest there was to it was Calgary... and well, if you live in Edmonton you grow to "hate" Clagary and vice-versa... it's just how it goes for some reason ;) Anywho, it would be nice to be able to add cities to the world. Also the moon would be pretty cool to have as well, and maybe some "extra" effects, like rockets launching from earth, meteor showers, space stations, etc... jsut a thought! ;)

I'll download it on my other comp and take it for a spin... no pun intended. :)

FireFoX

February 16, 2002, 08:27 PM

Where's the moon?

(hehe)

shrike

February 16, 2002, 09:08 PM

I assume that the dark side is in the view, because of the sun. If so, that is way too bright for the night side of the earth!! Maybe, you have been living in a city with where all of the streets are lighted at night, but most places, it is near black.

Also, it would be cool to show the lights of cities at night too.

Tim Wojtaszek

February 16, 2002, 09:16 PM

fractal clouds... perlin...

for extra points....tie it into www.weather.com ( or your favorite global weather information site ) and use that data :)

Warren Marshall

February 16, 2002, 10:26 PM

Why, yes, it was! Let me repeat the FIRST LINE of his description for you ...

"Thought I would submit an IOTD update for my 3D screensaver "World Saver 3D", that made IOTD back in October."

disableddan

February 17, 2002, 04:32 AM

now THAT would be worthy of an award or something!!!

Mean Fox

February 17, 2002, 04:38 AM

You should try running it... it IS in real time of course and the Sun IS in the correct position...

Mean Fox

Mean Fox

February 17, 2002, 04:39 AM

Yes, you can add cities now...

Cheers -

Mean Fox

Mean Fox

February 17, 2002, 04:41 AM

Poetic license... but anyway there is a slider for the ambient light. Looks more interesting if you can see more...

Mean Fox

Mean Fox

February 17, 2002, 04:44 AM

Thanks for the feedback folks... for some reason although this is an IOTD I somehow assumed that people would actually tend to RUN the screensaver!

Anyway it is here:

Mean Fox
Mean Fox
Cool, original 3D Windows Screensavers.
MeanFox.com * www.meanfox.com * meanfox@meanfox.com

Mace

February 17, 2002, 05:58 AM

Looks nice but you placed Reykjavik in sweden/finland, hehe. ^_^

Megahertz

February 17, 2002, 06:35 AM

I have ran it =)

So on the slowest speed setting it will take one full day for the earth to make 1 rotation?

Twig

February 17, 2002, 11:12 AM

Just tried it out - I have to say it's one of the few screensavers I would consider worth using! Blank screen is the other one :)

There is one thing that would make it very very cool though. As a programmer, I don't see what the weather is like outside very often (you all know it's true!). Already I am benefiting from seeing if it's dark or light by looking at your screensaver, but to be able to see if it's cloudy or rainy as well would be fantastic!

Not the easiest of features to add... but almost certainly possible using, as someone said earlier, sites like weather.com

Nice work though!

_Tom

February 17, 2002, 01:02 PM

Lens Flare would look cool

Mattman

February 17, 2002, 02:11 PM

Hey, how come I either have to add the entire city list or nothing to the list of cities I want to view? I only want to view like 2 cities, to do that, I have to delete every other city in the list than the two I want. I don't want to delete them because I may want to see where something is at some point...

DooMWiz

February 17, 2002, 02:33 PM

Just double-click the city name to move it to the other list.

DooMWiz

February 17, 2002, 02:34 PM

I really like this screensaver, but like everyone else, I think the Sun is just too fake. If you want a very realistic shot of the Sun, there's some at space.com . =]

AticAtac

February 17, 2002, 03:09 PM

Very nice screen saver.
My time appears wrong in the screen saver !
One hour behind.