Submitted by P Danhiez, posted on February 15, 2002

Image Description, by P Danhiez

This is a shot of my first (personal) game : ZooChess. I've writen it in my spare time (6 month), and all the code is in C++ using OpenGL. A friend designed all the chess-pieces.

The engine (called ZooEngine) has some features like bump mapping, water effect, etc.. I draws polygons (45.000 for ZooChess) and the GUI is totally in 3D. Stop ; this is not the aim of a game, this is only a technical approch.

When I was looking for chess game on internet, I only found "beautifull-commercial-games" and "horrible-free-games". That's why I decided to write my own chess game, and I hope I've reach the equation : "beautifull-free-game".

So, you can play on internet or lan (classic host-client management) or you can play in solo mode (a basic AI I've writen...).

This game is totally free, and you can download it here : www.pacome.fr.st

or directly here : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pacome.danhiez/ZooChess.zip

Have fun !

Pacôme.

Ewan Higgs

February 16, 2002, 10:32 AM

I had the same log and crash.

PIII 600
ATI Rage Mobility 128
Win98se

I tried it in both 32bit and 16 bit color modes (DirectX refuses to make a D3D device when my card is in 32bit mode but openGL seems to work all the time)

Jesse Chounard

February 16, 2002, 11:31 AM

Okay.. I promised I'd try it out when I got home. On my machine with a Voodoo 3, it crashed on startup. I'm guess that since other people had that problem, it's just an unsupported feature that's causing the crash. On the machine with a Geforce2MX it ran great, right up until I was about to beat it. The computer sat there for awhile like it was thinking, then boom.

I like the AI too. I'm probabaly not the best of chess players, but it took me like 8 games before I got close to winning. Gonna go try again.. :)

davepermen

February 16, 2002, 01:04 PM

its great. it looks great, the ai is great etc.
just one note:
is there fullscreen supported? i run normally at 640x480 and then your window is too big...

davepermen

February 16, 2002, 01:07 PM

btw, it uses perpixeldotproducts, namely i guess GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 or however called.
gpu's that don't support that will crash. voodoos, tnts etc..

meduzza

February 16, 2002, 01:08 PM

Really want to try it out but it doesnt run properly:
1. The main window is in the bottom-right corner of a screen.
2. Runs very-very slow. Like 1.2 fps or so - looks like a software mode?

I have P3-750, 128mb, TNT, Windoze XP

Cheers!

Topaz

February 16, 2002, 01:49 PM

Crash

Creating main OpenGL devices..

************************* Zoo Engine *************************
**** ICD ACCELERATED ****
**** Color : 32 ****
**** Depth : 24 ****
**** Buffer : double ****
********************** Successfully Loaded **********************

.. devices successfully created !

3dfx V5
P3 1Ghz
Win2k

Frez

February 16, 2002, 03:36 PM

Hi Davepermen,

you can modify the window size by clicking on F11 or F12 (-/+).
The window modes are : 320x200, 640x480, 1024x768, etc

The fullscreen mode is not supported. It's a good feature, but in a chess-game case, I think people rarely will play in fullscreen (they often are at work or other) :)

Pacôme

Frez

February 16, 2002, 03:37 PM

Exactly !

Haioken

February 17, 2002, 06:23 PM

Worked fine on my PC, although bigpen has a point. I was having a lot of trouble distinguishing between pawns and bishops.
Why not make the pieces a well used format, like 3ds, and then have some form of archiving method, to make full sets. Then you could have people making their own custom chess pieces (And maybe boards) for the game. Just think, Star wars chess on PC :)
And what about model animations? (Don't mind me, Wizards Chess just sprang to mind...)