Submitted by CEmirzian1@aol, posted on January 30, 2002

Image Description, by CEmirzian1@aol

These are some screenshots from my game XOP. I've been working on this project for the past year. It uses Allegro 4.0 for most of the dirty work.

The 2nd little blue number in the right-hand corner of the screenshots is the number of on-screen objects.

Some numbers:
  • 16,000 lines of C code
  • 572 sprite images (enemies, bullets, explosions, etc)
  • 141 tiles
  • 52 sound effects
  • 24 MOD music files
  • The engine supports up to 800 on-screen objects, 1800 shrapnel particles and 16 backgrounds. It's flexible enough to do just about anything you could need in a 2d shooter game :p

You can download a demo of it at http://rydia.net/udder/xop/

Please try it out and tell me if it runs on your system :)

lycium

January 30, 2002, 10:39 AM

speaking of which, why did you choose allegro over writing the stuff yourself?

otherwise, very nice :) i like the return to fun 2d games, i wish they would make an ultima X in 2d, kinda like diablo :)

Arne Rosenfeldt

January 30, 2002, 10:53 AM

>why did you choose allegro over writing the stuff yourself?
    Do not even ask,
    be happy that he wisely did not reinvent the wheel.
    Its not like 3d that one has to do it the hard way, to understand it.

Moonbird

January 30, 2002, 10:56 AM

I think it's really cool that amateurs take over game genres the big commercial teams can't produce for anymore, because the market is too small for the big money. 2d-games are IMHO an especially good example. They are much easier to develop than 3d-environments and easier to controle: not only for the developers but also for the players. I know quite a lot people who are repeatedly annoyed by (for most of us) seemingly easy interfaces like mouse-/keyboard-interaction for a 3d shooter.

AvidProgrammingFan

January 30, 2002, 12:14 PM

Amen to that! The 2d world, although perhaps not as challenging from a programming perspective, is still very enjoyable. My wife, to this day, refuses to have anything to do with 3d games (except racers). As far as she's concerned, progress peaked at Super Mario 3 on the NES. :)

P.S. Personally I think that 2d games can be every bit as challenging to write as 3d ones. Anyone?

Luci

January 30, 2002, 12:44 PM

outdoing what has been done / updating genres / implementing better AI.. just coming up with new ideas for 2d stuff can be challenging!

i'd imagine that Tekken Advance (is/was) a challenging 2d game to write. . probably was easier to write Tekken...

Moonbird

January 30, 2002, 12:46 PM

So thinks my girlfriend :) She's a huge fan of Mr. Mario but a cool high-tech game like Return to Wolfenstein just won't even catch her attention.

There's another pro: you don't need a high-tech-pc to play these games. And who has those lame computers? Your next-door-"I played through EVERY quake-engined game at highest difficulty setting"-cd-cracking-guru? Ah, no - it's the kind of guy that occassionally buys that little game for 15 bucks he happens to stumble upon at walmart.

Johannes Böhm

January 30, 2002, 01:22 PM

Yes! Sone time ago i rememberd those dozens of old games resting on my old HD, and soon i cought myself thinking: "Why did they make Ultima IX in 3d?"

And apart from the graphics, nowadays there is not much progress (speaking of the commercial games) in game design. There are hardly any new milestones... (the last really good game was Deus Ex)
    -> "back to the origins" (I think that was Rousseau)

-Johannes

dom

January 30, 2002, 01:44 PM

Oh my god. This game is so, so damn good. It's the most complete, playable and polished download I've yet seen on IOTD. The music is 'kin ace, real doom style cheesy and menacing, the grafx, OK, they're not cutting edge but the designs, the variety, it just rocks. The gameplay is spot on. Perfect. Good job.

Udderdude

January 30, 2002, 01:47 PM

> 16k lines of code? sounds quite heavy for a 2d game, especially one that uses a game library like allegro.

Allegro doesn't do as much as you might think .. and 2d games can be just as complicated code-wise as a 3d game. There's alot more than just the graphics rendering code :X

> speaking of which, why did you choose allegro over writing the stuff yourself?

Allegro lets me get going with the game engine and design, instead of fiddling with DirectX and whatnot. It's easy to use, portable (DOS/Windoze/Linux/BeOS), and from what I can tell isn't that much slower than plain ol DirectX. You get stuff like sprite rotation/scaling too.

- Chris

Hosed

January 30, 2002, 03:04 PM

Ahem, Civ 3. 2D isn't dead! Well I guess it's Iso so not pure 2D, but it's close enough damn it!

Actually that's what attracted me to Mobile game development. 2D reigns supreme, for now atleast.

-Hosed

Moonbird

January 30, 2002, 03:47 PM

I think I recently read somewhere the best selling games in the US by numbers weren't Quake-like games but Rollercoaster Tycoon, The Sims and other 2d-games (iso == 2d, if we're talking about gameplay). I think gaming graphics have their own unique look, you don't necessary have to reach for photo-realism. You can, of course, and I can't wait the day I lay my hands on Doom III, but I also like the old XCOM-games. I can play both, Anachronox and Final Fantasy 5. You get what I mean... :)

zed zeek

January 30, 2002, 03:53 PM

man are (quasi)2d shootemups the new landscapes or what + they all seem to be 'It's the most complete, playable and polished download I've yet seen on IOTD' the terrible thing is i LUV them which aint to good for my programming. lots of bullets hehe btw did anyone else beat 20,000 in that phenonix clone from a while ago. man gonna have to download this + give it a go, theres another couple of hours wasted :)

AlexBjorg

January 30, 2002, 04:13 PM

Which programm did you use for the 2D art, sprites, backgrounds...?

Udderdude

January 30, 2002, 04:44 PM

Almost all the art was drawn on paper, scanned in, and edited (turned into colored sprites) with Photoshop. Some of the art was made right from Photoshop, stuff like explosions and enemy bullets. Some explosions that are not yet in the game were made with 3d studio max :)

- Chris

Bunnz

January 30, 2002, 04:45 PM

Well looks really nice, just the particle effects look a little bit outdated!

Have fun
    Bunnz
    www.bunnz.com

Rasmus Christian Kaae

January 30, 2002, 05:15 PM

I am going to be pesimistic and you're going to hate me :

WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!

- Rasmus (no hard feelings, only hardons 69 ).

Moonbird

January 30, 2002, 05:28 PM

Now that's what I call positive critism!

dom

January 30, 2002, 05:38 PM

No comparison between the glut of terrain engines and this. This is a *finished*, playable GAME. Not some wanky 'techdemo' polypushing pile o' shite. This is good stuff. =)

Udderdude

January 30, 2002, 06:21 PM

Bite me :P

- Chris

lunar

January 30, 2002, 06:29 PM

Nice game! You can't beat the feel of the good ol' 2d games. Really, nice work. ; )

Seth.

zed zeek

January 30, 2002, 09:26 PM

true a finished product is always hard to do, though IMHO a shootemup is one of the easier genres, im thinking of writing one (im guessing 2 weeks from start until finish, trouble is ive gotten a gforce card + have been playing around with that recently BUT the novelty is beginning to wear off + its time to code again)
    btw i wasnt knocking this game at all, just remarking theres been 3/4 shootemups in the last month or so on IOTD

Roch Denis

January 31, 2002, 12:45 AM

Very cool game, it's very slick. I must say the screenshots didnt inspire me at first but in the end when i was in game it was awesome ^_^.

My only complaint : Enemy bullets seem to go right thru you and I searched the HUD for health and there didnt see to be any to make things worse. I dont know if I missed something (probably).

Rasmus Christian Kaae

January 31, 2002, 01:44 AM

you were warned.

CyberSalad

January 31, 2002, 02:07 AM

This is pretty cool. I like the tons o' particles and rotating enemies etc. Good job!

mice

January 31, 2002, 02:35 AM

Yes, and we want more 2D shooters!!!
    3/4 isn't good enough!!

((mice

David Notario

January 31, 2002, 03:32 AM

wireframe and flat cubes are a worse waste of time macaw...

troll!

Jolle

January 31, 2002, 04:52 AM

This game beats many games out on the shelves.

Feeblez

January 31, 2002, 05:55 AM

Udderdude ... It Rulez!
    I must admit, i didn't expect much after quickly looking at the screenshots, but just getting to the weapons select screen made me realize i had been way too quick to judge! :)

It's obvious you know the genre well, there's a lot of work gone into this and it is TIME WELL SPENT! I posted my game a few days ago on IOTD, (and while i am approaching things from a slightly different angle), frankly i haven't been spending my time well enough after seeing this!

And the GFX, which i initially thought were a bit sub-standard are infact excellent in motion, and very well designed.

Congratz on a great game m8!

Signed, a fellow shoot'em'up freak

p.s. XOP reminds me a bit of Xenon 2 in places, what do u think?

oh yeah, how do u upgrade the weapons!!!? i got to level 3 and i still couldn't work it out :

moose

January 31, 2002, 06:09 AM

I must say that 2D engines can be just as hard to write as 3D ones. There isn't as much information regarding 2D engine design (that isn't outdated or just plain bad, no offense) that there is on 3D on the net (at least that I've found.)

We are currently working on a 2D multiplayer game where the client version works on Windows, Linux/X11 and MacOSX (and any other OS for which you implement the subsystem interfaces.) The server version will work on almost any OS that has some sort of console (Windows, DOS, Linux, Unix, Solaris, MacOSX etc etc.)

Sometimes it can almost seem easier to write a 3D _graphics engine_ that is platform independant using OpenGL where you don't have to change much of the code for every OS (I don't know this for sure so feel free to flame me :)

(The source code, currently around 700 kb (no game logic yet, not fully implemented support for Linux/X11 and MacOSX), will be release along with the game and a series of tutorials and information on problems that we encountered during development.)

BTW, very nice game, I really admire people who actually finish what they're doing. Thanks for the morale booster, I'll just sit down now and try to finish the Project DuelBots' filesystem code now :)

Spacebender

January 31, 2002, 06:26 AM

I downloaded and played your game... many times. I really like this one. It reminds me of something that I've been wanting to do for such a long time now, but I haven't had the courage to even start it.

The game is so well balanced, and ta' hell with beautiful FMV's and gorgeous graphics; this is quite enough. I love the effects.

The only thing that confused me was that some objects seem to be neutral to the player's ship, while others aren't. I had a hard time sometimes to avoid all kinds of things, and suddenly I crashed into one of them and nothing happened. I guess they were either neutral objects, or collision detection is really off sometimes ;)

Great work!