Submitted by Eric B., posted on January 22, 2002

Image Description, by Eric B.

This is a shot of my second game written with C++ , a Dr. Mario clone. (Apppropriately but stupidly named 'DoctorC++'). I submit it as evidence to those who might be struggling to break into the development field that it can be done -- if you have the patience, persistance, and a good library to handle the gritty details until you are ready to tackle them yourself.

It was written with the help of the 'ClanLib' cross-platform gaming library which I discovered thanks to a news item here on FlipCode. It does all those things like interfacing with your OS, loading images, and registering keystrokes that I was struggling with before. It also has the added benefit of making your game accessible to many different environments; I would definitely get a kick out of seeing it run on something like BeOS.

The game itself took about two weeks to build and has good stuff such as animations, configurable controls and play options as well as a high-score section that demonstrates a way to serialize structs into a file. The code is available along with a win32 version of the game here:

Eric B.

Chris McArthur

January 22, 2002, 11:44 AM

Haha, I remember playing that on the Gameboy, or was it the Nintendo?.

Either way, I am off to download it now, great job man!

z80

January 22, 2002, 11:47 AM

Looks great. Nice work!

The two player mode is pretty addictive on the original Nintendo game. Oh man, I remember my friend and I played it for a few hours, and we both dreamt ALL night about pills and stuff falling down afterwards :-)

Sabman

January 22, 2002, 11:49 AM

Preety neat shot. It's a good choice of evidence to use on that library.

=[Scarab]=

January 22, 2002, 12:23 PM

I loved the Gameboy version of this game. And this looks like a very good remake.

And you made a good choice (IMHO) to choose for a game library for your more simple projects. Finishing something is more valuable than getting stuck on something waay above your head.

aDasTRa

January 22, 2002, 03:46 PM

i really like the look of your game man; nice and clean looking. good job

abdulla

January 22, 2002, 04:04 PM

must look at clanlib sometime :)

jeti

January 22, 2002, 04:23 PM

Strange. I could reconfigure the controls.
But the game itself did not respond to any
keyboard input. Also it did not respond to
the close button until I pressed 'main menu'.
It's hard to believe, but it felt as if my
computer was too slow for the game.

Eric B.

January 22, 2002, 05:19 PM

I wonder if you got taken by the play options screen - I have, on more than one occasion, frantically started pounding on the keys until I realized that I wasn't in the game yet. (You have to click the 'start single player' or 'start two player' game button.)

Thanks for pointing out the close bug - it doesn't close when you click 'x' while you're in the options screen. There's a loop still running.. I'll fix it somehow or other.

SirKnight

January 22, 2002, 09:31 PM

I also have the problem of not being able to control the game at all. I selected Single Player, then the game mode (i chose newbie ;)) and so i see a falling pill and a single germ but no key seems to make anything move at all. :-/ But it looks cool and sounds like it would be quite fun.

SirKnight

January 22, 2002, 09:34 PM

Hmm. Well there it goes. Now it works! Welp, back to playing. :)

disableddan

January 22, 2002, 09:50 PM

I hope to learn that someday. Nice work! The little germ-dudes look funny. :)

jeti

January 23, 2002, 02:54 AM

Ahh. Looks like I never actually started the game.
Maybe you should add a little text saying "demo"
or something when the game isn't running.

Apart from that it works fine and I like the style.
But a basic docu couldn't hurt for those wo've
nerver played the priginal :-)

Róbert Kisnémeth

January 23, 2002, 03:49 AM

Simple fun :)

Fil

January 23, 2002, 05:59 AM

Hey, can we kill virus on our computer with that?
This would be a nice front end to scanning a PC :-))))
Of corse, I would prefer to scan my PC in GODMode, just not to take any chances ;-)

Nice Work.

FireFoX

January 23, 2002, 08:51 AM

Keep up the good work Eric! It sure looks cool, and it's very hard to actually finish something, so respect! :)

Btw, I know a game that was VERY addicting, even more than Dr. Mario, it's called something like: Super Puzzle Fighter Turbo or something like that, a game for the PSX.

Maybe that's an idea for your next project? :) I'd love to see a PC version of that game :)

Again, very well done!

Lexa

January 26, 2002, 09:45 AM

AMAZING;).And what's up with reflections and bump mapping(It looks a bit simple;)).

iMalc

January 27, 2002, 07:10 PM

Cool! Very nice to see a clone of an old favourite. My mum used to play a game called Dr.Macinto. (Yes that was a Mac version) Unfortunately it is a bit old to run on newer Macs as it crashes often. I might give this one a go on my PC.

Congrats to a finished game.