Submitted by Daren, posted on January 18, 2002

Image Description, by Daren

This game was conceptualised, designed and coded within 3 weeks using Director 8.5 for the main game, and Flash 5 for the front end. The aim of the game was a christmas greeting to our clients.

You can have a play at:

The Dereks were animated by using modelling clay figures and stop motion photography with a digital camera for the animation. The gameplay is fairly simple, but great fun for a while. The whole idea of the game was simplicity due to the limited timescale, and only 3 people (2 artists, 1 coder) on the project.

All the graphics are 2D except for the scenery which is a very simple textured cylinder and a textured ground plane. As the game is rotational in nature, all the coordinates are stored in angular and distance based form. This makes rotating the sprites to face the camera very simple. The shadows were handled by simply using the sprite animation texture darkened and alpha'd and rotated and finally repositioned.

I hope this helps more people consider Director for internet games, as the latest version contains a simple to use 3D engine with some cool features - and of course - it's multi-platform.

Daren

Krammyt

January 18, 2002, 08:50 AM

Looks like fun :)

Keep up the good work

Mastaba

January 18, 2002, 09:10 AM

I hate games that make be bang the keyboard. :p I guess that means it drew me in and kept me occupied for a few minutes. And that's saying a lot I suppose. My score was 129 Dereks in 3:14. :(

Moonbird

January 18, 2002, 09:33 AM

Clay-motion looks so cool. I remember an adventure from that Steven-Spielberg-company using it. It looked so cool back then. Wasn't there once even some console-fighting-game with clay-motion?

Angel Popov

January 18, 2002, 09:36 AM

There's an easy way to keep killing Dereks forever - just stand in front of the last present and shoot whenever an alien pops in front.

FireFoX

January 18, 2002, 10:36 AM

Camper! :)

Sampsa Lehtonen

January 18, 2002, 10:43 AM

Nice game indeed! Funny, good gameplay and gfx/sfx.However, it is possible to get infinite amount of "dereks" when you have only one present left. Just keep shooting to the direction of the present and if a derek tries to steal, you'll automaticly shoot him in back.
Are you making advergames or what?
Anways, keep up the good work!

Sampsa Lehtonen

January 18, 2002, 10:44 AM

Oh well, someone wrote about that "hack" few seconds faster than I :)

richard

January 18, 2002, 10:48 AM

cool :)

raimund

January 18, 2002, 12:05 PM

nice idea, and clay motion rules. but why did you use a 3d-engine?

luther2k

January 18, 2002, 12:14 PM

Nice game! I've done a cringle snowball type game too, in java rather than shockwave. I asked Kurt to put it up with the news but he didn't bother:

let me know what you think.

Tim.

Waramp

January 18, 2002, 12:31 PM

There were a series if them iirc. Clay-Fighter I think they were called.

Buster

January 18, 2002, 12:55 PM

Oh my god, the characters are hilarious!

TheDeathLord

January 18, 2002, 01:13 PM

There was The Neverhood, followed by skull monkeys, both done by the same company, and I believe they did a fighting game as well. The Neverhood was an awesome game, but the studio disbanded quite awhile ago. Unfortunately my CD has a crack halfway through it, it's one of those games I'd like to go back and play through again.

TheDeathLord

January 18, 2002, 01:17 PM

I get some sort of unspecied script error, but it looks to be quite humerous, and the overly repetitive music has a sorta catchy beat :)

Punchey

January 18, 2002, 02:04 PM

What you REALLY need instead of Dereks is Jar-Jars! JAR-JAR MUST DIE!!!

Tristan

January 18, 2002, 07:07 PM

Really nice game, only I wish I saw that radar before gameover!

Max

January 18, 2002, 07:29 PM

You can download old games that aren't being sold anymore (including the Neverhood) from abandonware sites. I won't post any links in case anyone would consider this piracy, but you can probably locate it with a little bit of searching.

Max

Tristan

January 18, 2002, 07:36 PM

Ok I used the cheep method of camping the last present and after 25 minutes and about 600 dereks I got a little bored.... Can you actually finish the game?

disableddan

January 19, 2002, 03:00 AM

Arrg! This game is too hard for me!

Nice work! I like the claymation bad guys too; they're pretty darn cool!

Daren

January 19, 2002, 08:54 AM

Hi all, thanks for all the positive comments on Stop Derek. I'm glad you liked it. Due to the nature of the project it was a bit rushed, and we couldn't break up for the Christmas period before it was finished.

Yeah, we know about the camping problem, if I ever get the time I'll fix that little annoyance.

You're right Moonbird - the game was Clay-Fighters - it was dire ! But it looked fantastic, this was one of the influences on Derek.

Sampsa Lehtonen - Yep - we're making advergames - but we're hoping to make games that people actually want to play - and they're free ;)

The DeathLord - could you let me know what script error you were getting - I'll try to suss it out.

If you want to see a few more games in production, and a cool SNES mode 7 effect done in the Flash player then pop along to :

http://www.qubedesign.co.uk/gamedev (please excuse the sales blurb - we have to make a living somehow.)

cheers

Daren

L.e.Denninger

January 19, 2002, 09:34 PM

This game rocks dot dot dot exclamation mark.

Could you have done this 7 years earlier on a 386 33Mhz you would have rocked my world and prolly drive a ferrari :)

Kudos!

ch!ckuaua

January 20, 2002, 06:54 PM

Looks cool and fun!
Games like this are one of the most fun!
I think Flash is a weird "platform" to use, but I never did something useful in it :)))

check out this device: a guy says he has the immortality device, which you can buy or even make it yourself!