Submitted by Jon Frain, posted on January 17, 2002

Image Description, by Jon Frain

This is a screenshot from my first game, and yes it's another asteroid clone. I am posting this at flipcode because I am hoping someone may be kind enough to give me some critiques on the code, which can be downloaded at:

I am hoping for critiques both in terms of optimizations to be made and the overall use/misuse of classes. Any and all suggestions are welcomed/desired, including gameplay issues.

This project has been my first foray into DirectX. The goal was to design a complete game utilizing some basic features of DirectX. I think I've done that. Because the overall design itself wasn't created from the beginning, I started just messing around with directX and moving the ship around, the organization of the C++ design suffers.

My hope is to get some usefull information that will enable me to better design this type of game. I will likely start over from scratch and try to do it as best I can and utilize OOD principles to the best of my abilities.

Joshua Schpok

January 18, 2002, 06:54 AM

Pun Intended

Nai Tandu

January 18, 2002, 10:41 AM

imo the compatible mode of xp doesn't work at all. a friend tried it with starcraft, and the copyprotection of the original cd jsut didn't work, we were'nt able to play starcraft while in compatible mode :(

win2000 compatible mode was afaik quite good!

Alex May

January 19, 2002, 07:30 AM

Nice work :)

On software rendering, kind of appropriate:
here's an old software rendered asteroids clone I wrote.

Alex May

January 19, 2002, 01:11 PM

Link screwed

correct link

ATTEAM

January 19, 2002, 01:57 PM

it is euro :-)

jon frain

January 19, 2002, 09:43 PM

I just want to thank everyone who took the time to download the game or check out the web pages.

One bug in the code didn't show itself on my system and some others. This bug has been removed and has been verified to fix the loading crash on atleast one other system. If interested, you can download the new exe and replace the old one and see if you can now run the app.

The using namespace is just my being too lazy to change everything until the 1.0 release.

Any and all bug reports are welcomed and examined. Thanks again to all.

Sincerely,
Jon Frain

jon frain

January 19, 2002, 09:46 PM

White Star has two connotations.

The ship is from Babylon 5

The White Star was the line of ships the Titanic was in (I believe).