Submitted by Olivier ZEGDOUN, posted on January 14, 2002

Image Description, by Olivier ZEGDOUN

These screenshots are taken from the game "De profundis" I just started 6 months ago. It is supposed to end as an action adventure simulator where the player takes the role of a submarine pilot in an underwater universe. It's a kind of "Elite" under the sea : do commerce and make profit, or be a pirate and steal (but in this case, watch the patrols). Upgrade your hull, equipment, weapons, and engage in non-linear random adventure.

A demo is available at http://people.ne.mediaone.net/olivier-zegdoun

Some technical highlight:
  • OpenGL for the graphics, DirectSound (did you hear a whale ?) and DirectInput (with universal device mapping configurator available)
  • Brute force terrain algorithm with frustum culling (quicker and nicer than ROAM or CLOD on my GeForce3 so I stopped trying) "Infinite" terrain : the relief is repeating every 4096x4096 tiles, but not the object contents.
  • true 6 DOF flight model (I use quaternions to avoid the "Gimbal Lock" problem relative to Euler angles) : looping available ! (you better have a Joystick here) and nice HUD
  • Fast sphere-tri collision detection with tri-tri detection when necessary
  • Particule system (explosion, torpedoes trail)
  • This should be considered as a pre-alpha version since there is nothing exciting to do yet except feeling the ambiance, shooting some torpedoes, and going back to the base for reloading...

Olivier

Christian Schüler

January 16, 2002, 03:35 AM

Say if my latin doesn't get me wrong, "De Profundis" means "from the ground" in the sense of "off the deep", right?

Olivier Zegdoun

January 16, 2002, 12:45 PM

"De Profundis" means "Out of the Depths", more something like "from the depth" in fact.
    (I only learn Latin for 6 months so don't ask too much ;-))
    Olivier

Neil Edelman

January 17, 2002, 10:34 AM

I am happy to say that the Demo ran on this computer which is apparently a P2 350, 64mb RAM with an S3 Trio 3d Rev B (?) accellerator at what I'd guess to be 3 fps. When I tried to run in 16 bit, it said Error: Can't create a GL rendering context. I like the controls but the keyboard input is very sloooow probably due to the framerate. The outside cameras were difficult to use because the ship was just black and I couldn't tell if I was looking at it from the front or the back. Looks very nice.

Neil Edelman

January 17, 2002, 01:31 PM

Oh and your subs look kewl and your HUD is awesome, I especially love the compass, nice touch.

Olivier Zegdoun

January 17, 2002, 05:00 PM

Thanks Neil,
    I hope you will find a more powerfull computer to play with the demo though. 3fps must look like a slide show ;-) Since it's obviously software OpenGL on a S3 Trio.
    You can get a GeForce2 MX400 for less than $90 now.
    I am glad you like the demo anyway, it means you will love it when running at 200fps.
    Regards,
    Olivier

Taharez

January 18, 2002, 05:22 AM

Very nice.

I just wish I could get that nice results with my dx8 terrain renderer =)

Stats:
    P3-450
    TNT2 Ultra 32Mb
    384Mb RAM
    Windows XP

20-25 fps in 1280x1024x32, all options on & maxed.

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 ... out of 2) Next Last