Submitted by Martin knuth, posted on January 11, 2002

Image Description, by Martin knuth

These screenshots where taken from a 3d-engine (editor) project I'm doing in my spare time.

The figures are completely dynamic and animatable. I use a shader concept, which can be compiled for static scenes to speed up the rendering. The shaders support all opengl blending modes and some more general, abstract things like shadow buffering (self shadowing included - as you can see in the image), environment mapping, phong shading, etc

the abstract rendering pathes (for example environment mapping) are automatically optimised, if a grephics card supports a better version (for example qubed environment mapping is then used instead of spherical env-mapping)

With a graphics card with more functions the engine doesn't get more features, it simply gets faster, performing more effects direkly in hardware.

in the picture above you can see shadow buffering and embossed bumpmapping, the figures are lighted with a radiance table.

the dragon runs with 10 fps on my voodoo3 / K6 II 500 and has 1700 triangles, the code is absolutly unoptimised c++ in the moment. the only extension which is needed is gl_arb_multitexture (for the use of both texture-units)

w.b.r.
M.Knuth

p.s. I think I'll explain the shadow algorithm in the "tip of the day gallery", since there are some tricks needed till it works, but it is as fast as simple texture mapping.

Brian k

January 11, 2002, 04:15 PM

looks cool

davepermen

January 11, 2002, 04:38 PM

yeah looks cool.. what could be the special thing about your shadowmapping.. i got interested

=[Scarab]=

January 11, 2002, 05:15 PM

Apart from the speckles (T-junctions?) in the right wing in the upper shot, that looks absolutely marvelous!

L.e.Denninger

January 11, 2002, 10:07 PM

Maximum respect.

But 500Mhz/Voodoo3 for 1700 polys...
I can remember the days I had a lightwave-scene renderer that did more polys (sw-rendering) on a P75 Overclocked to 90Mhz- with mipmapping per scanline and perspective correct texture-envy-bump-mapping...
Are you sure you can't do something more with it ?

Christopher Dudley

January 12, 2002, 01:16 AM

Looks nice! Couple comments:

1) Selfshadowing looks pretty good, though it could use a little 'softening.' And I may have missed something here, but they are selfshadowing, but do not shadow on the environment? (At least in the image.)

2) I have to agree whole heartedly with L.D. on this one...10fps with only 1700 polys seems kind of slow for todays technology, especially on a 500Mhz machine with a fairly decent 3D accelerator.

3) Totally OT...you wouldn't be related to Donald Knuth, would ya? (Admit it, you guys were thinking the same thing...)

In any case, very nice work, keep it up!

krogoth

January 12, 2002, 02:03 AM

This looks a lot better than my engine currently does :)

Christopher: First thing I thought when I saw the name :)

William Dahlberg

January 12, 2002, 01:22 PM

Nice!

I'm looking forward to the shadow technique in the "tip of the day"!

BTW, who's Donald Knuth?

Rasmus Christian Kaae

January 12, 2002, 01:25 PM

No offence, but it looks like you spend more time on updating that webpage than on actual coding.

Wonko

January 12, 2002, 01:56 PM

Back to school ; )

krogoth

January 12, 2002, 08:50 PM

Now that's an interesting comment, but it really doesn't make sense. I throw together a cheap design in a day and I "spent more time on it than the game"? Or wait, could it be that about half the code is just a base for future work? I have a lot more code than the demo shows, because some of it isn't used yet. I may have a slow start, but everything that's been slowing down the progress that can be seen in static screenshots will make things faster later. It probably took me longer to make the menuing system that it would take you, but on the other hand my menus are loaded from very simple (as in small and easy to create) files, and not hard-coded hacks.

krogoth

January 12, 2002, 08:52 PM

And anyways, why does it matter how I spend my time? You critisism would be better spent on Valve or 3D Realms.

Allan Parker

January 25, 2002, 11:09 AM

truely a work of art!

Allan Parker

January 29, 2002, 10:06 AM

(Hey Allan truly not truely) But personally I have to agree with you. It's a $^#@ good piece of work!

Britney

January 29, 2002, 10:06 AM

Britney

January 29, 2002, 10:07 AM

Sorry I logged on under your name to find your threads. Oops!!!!

Allan Parker

January 29, 2002, 11:52 AM

thinks for the spelling change like I'm a crapy speller