Submitted by Warren Marshall, posted on January 09, 2002

Image Description, by Warren Marshall

I've been overhauling my renderer DLL and over the last few days have made some good progress. It's nothing state of the art, but it's more than adequate to do the stupid little projects that I like to do.

The shader system is not all that fast either. The "388 fps" in the screenshot looks good and all, but if I add more objects into the scene it plummets pretty rapidly. :) Gotta work on that ...

The screenshot shows a 5 layer texture effect. It looks a lot cooler in motion, but there are a variety of blending modes going on there along with texture matrix manipulation. The latest update on my hosted site explains it in more detail, http://epicboy.flipcode.com.

nosfy

January 09, 2002, 11:45 AM

5 layer textures? And no bump mapping? : (

YvonnaFlipShirt

January 09, 2002, 12:03 PM

Alpha masks would be good too.

Um gesh de bork bork. Waka Waka.

William Dahlberg

January 09, 2002, 12:05 PM

Cool! Keep up the good work!

Hiro Protagonist

January 09, 2002, 01:25 PM

Looks great btw.

=[Scarab]=

January 09, 2002, 01:44 PM

Only 5 layers? My Radeon 8500 can render 6 in one pass. :P

Doesn't matter anyway because most games I play have 'adequate' graphics, not something like Doom3. :)

ReAL

January 09, 2002, 03:07 PM

Looks nice but when will we be able to try it out? (btw I love bubblet ;)

Leslie Nassar

January 09, 2002, 03:16 PM

Does the new renderer have neuters?

=[Scarab]=

January 09, 2002, 03:46 PM

Oh I forgot to post about the actual image. :)

Nice cube!

DarkReaper

January 09, 2002, 05:38 PM

Hey, I've got an idea - lets all be negative! YAY! :rolleyes:

Looking good man, keep it up, and get back to working on the Unreal Engine! ;)

Headless Chicken

January 09, 2002, 06:07 PM

Wow, looks like a few people got out of the wrong side of bed this morning. The image in itself looks really cool, but I'd really like to see it in motion.

btw, Ride the Dragon is an awsome UT map. I'll have to try Epic Boy once I get my UT CD back

Octopussy

January 09, 2002, 08:04 PM

Looks very good for.. a cube.

Are the layers animated ?

Alexis.

rakta

January 09, 2002, 09:01 PM

Er, ok. Something is really bothering me here. How can you maggots get these huge fps values? For example, on that Cube engine IOTD about 8 iotds ago.. I fiddled with the LODs in all configurations and it stayed smack dab at 60 fps.

I'm running a p3-800 and a GTS2.. I've even tried to get high fps's on my own stuff, by skipping unnecessary updates each frame, and I still don't go over 60. So what gives?

ThomW

January 09, 2002, 09:11 PM

Your VSYNC is enabled. Disable it. I would give you instructions on how to do that, but it's different for every video card.

J-S Perrier

January 09, 2002, 09:12 PM

It is the vertical synch with the monitor. If the refresh frequency of your monitor is 60 Hz and the display driver is configured to wait on VSync, then, your are never going to get higher frame rates then 60Hz.

Normally, in an OpenGL program, it is the "swap buffer" that performs the wait on vsync (internally by the driver). In the driver configuration for the NVidia cards, you can go in the OpenGL settings and disable the wait on vsync (it should be on by default). Then, you will have sky high frame rates, but you may see some "refresh artifacts" since the monitor will no longuer be synchronized with the refresh of the frame buffer.

Joshua A. Winn (JAW)

January 09, 2002, 09:29 PM

I didnt know monitors could refresh at 388 fps :p

Headless Chicken

January 09, 2002, 09:56 PM

Maybe if you read the replys to the post above you you wouldn't have posted such an ignorant and negative comment.

Warren Marshall

January 09, 2002, 10:29 PM

Hi. :)

nosfy
"5 layer textures? And no bump mapping? : ("

Do I look like I know what I'm doing? :) I don't have the first clue on how to do bump mapping so that's why it doesn't do it yet. Heh.

YvonnaFlipShirt
"Alpha masks would be good too."

You mean like the frame texture that sits on top of the other layers? Like that?

Hiro Protagonist
"Hey I know this will be the question of the day, but could you put the executable up at your website? I for one would really like to see that thing move."

Not yet. I want to use this to produce actual games at some point. I did the same thing with my old renderer: I wrote it and was able to use it to make my Bubblet clone.

ReAL
"Looks nice but when will we be able to try it out? (btw I love bubblet ;)"

Thanks. :) Like I said above, I'll make something with it eventually ... as it stands, it's just a test object I pulled into the engine to test the shaders. One day ...

Leslie Nassar
"Does the new renderer have neuters?"

No, but it DOES have space bears, and they're neuters, so ...

Octopussy
"Are the layers animated ?

I can guess only three layers.. the surronding metal, the head and the background."

Yeah, some are. Check out my hosted site, it's explained in more detail there and there's a sample shader script there.

Daemin

January 09, 2002, 11:10 PM

Heya,

I'm currently working on my own Quake3 Arena type rendering engine. I've already implemented a decent surface scripting system (aka Shaders) and a removable backend architecture that currently only has an OpenGL driver built for it. I've still got to add a few things to do (but being an graphics engine programmer running a voodoo3, it is not an easy task ;). And I don't have any of those cool textures that you've got to work with :)

But apart from that it looks damn wicked, I immediately saw the alpha testing, and the blending. Have you also implemented vertex colouring?

- Cya
Dominik Grabiec
(Dæmin)
sdgrab@austarmetro.com.au

abdulla

January 09, 2002, 11:50 PM

question is, what are you doing without your UT cd? hehe...

abdulla

January 09, 2002, 11:54 PM

off-topic, but austarmetro sucks man, i was with them (well when they bought out eisa) for the same price you could go with iprimus and they have everything unlimited and are faster :)

Warren Marshall

January 10, 2002, 01:32 AM

re: vertex coloring

No, not yet ... I use it in my particle system for fading the particles out, but not in the general shader system.

Morgan

January 10, 2002, 01:38 AM

I like your font. What is it?

-m

Warren Marshall

January 10, 2002, 02:34 AM

Impact

treething

January 10, 2002, 03:55 AM

Looks cool. It'd be nice to see it in motion! How does your shader system cope with low-spec cards? Does it break the shader into multiple passes, or just start discarding texture layers?

Warren Marshall

January 10, 2002, 04:03 AM

It's not all that sophisticated at the moment. It doesn't even use multipass - it renders each layer in a seperate pass.

d9930380

January 10, 2002, 09:13 AM

I think he was being sarcastic.

Scorp

January 10, 2002, 09:57 AM

They can't but if you dont wait for vsync you can still draw to the grafichs card att 388 fps.

Scorp

January 10, 2002, 09:59 AM

Nate Miller

January 10, 2002, 02:38 PM

Hehe that is really funny. "multipass" = "multitexture" I assume.

Neil Edelman

January 10, 2002, 06:58 PM

Not really related to the picture, but speaking of frame rates, what _is_ the point of having such high framerates in excess of the refresh rate of your monitor?