Submitted by Thomas v. Treichel, posted on January 07, 2002

Image Description, by Thomas v. Treichel

Code Creatures is a new Game Development System with State of tomorrow technology. On the screenshots you see the first demo done with CodeCreatures. Some informatuion about the demo content:
  • Using Vertex-Shader for the animated Gras
  • Using Vertex Shader for the realistic Sky-Dome with correct Atmosphear- calculating
  • 250.000 - 300.000 Polygons per View
  • aprox. 35.000 Polys per Tree
  • Right now it runs up to 15.000.000 Polygons per second on a P IV 1.5 Ghz
  • More information about codecreatures you can get at www.codecult.com

Greets,

Thomas v. Treichel

Tealc

January 08, 2002, 05:36 AM

I was on your website and saw those very amazing and stunning videos of your engine / editor but it wasn't able for me to find the link
    to download the sourccodes.
    Maybe you can post the links to the files here or send them to me via Email. Thanks for you convenience in advance. *LOL*

-- Tealc

YvL

January 08, 2002, 06:20 AM

well, i downloaded the movie...
    I) yep. The sky is the best thing in this demo. Never have i seen a beter sky.
    II) no physics yet? we shall wait... (this engine NEEDS physics badly)
    III) As grass is "stuffed in cubes" & each CUBE is animated, it looks unreal. Maybe it's because of animation algo. A little help from fluid dynamics to simulate wind (it's reasonably fast in specific cases, as you can calculate 2d winds) would greatly boost reality of grass. The wind could be simulated for the entire cube, not every scape & it would look better than now. CUBES which are NEAR to each other NEED to wave at the SIMILAR direction.
    IV) LOD on grass looks very bad. Maybe you should modify the nuber of scapes in cube, depending on distance from the camera, and only if there are no scapes left, remove the cube. Joining cubes in the distance is a good idea, the only drawback is that grass pops & dissapears while the camera is moving. Yet again this is an ugly drawback.
    V) Water reflections are good.

Summary: well done, yet there is only a half of the work done. If you want this to be a number-one engine that is.

mikie

January 08, 2002, 07:19 AM

I am glad someone is attempting grass, over all the images are 'ok'

It is obvious that they are going for reality but..

1. the landscape looks unrealistic in form - 'image that place for real and compare it'
    2. the sky is just a simple scrolling texture over the dome/box
    3. the movement of the grass is very poor

On the other hand, if it is to be a fantasy world, it would be better
    to move to more of a 'shrek' style of graphics..

Still the main thing is attempting something like grass that- other than 'voxel' style has not been used in games as yet - it could offer some nice occulsion to gameplay

Thomas von Treichel

January 08, 2002, 07:31 AM

the videos are made from the demo about 8 weeks ago - so the demo hase more features right now (like moving trees - and a better lod of grass) - we will release a running demo in february....

Thomas von Treichel

January 08, 2002, 07:41 AM

The complete pricelist you find at our page - but these prices you said are wrong. The engine cost 29.000$ with royalties and a smlaa support pack or 100.000$ without royalties, with the sourcecode and with a big support pack.
    This are the licensing costs for one product on one plattform.

Tealc

January 08, 2002, 09:33 AM

It would be nice to see some ingame scenes with your engine.

-- Tealc

Scorp

January 08, 2002, 09:55 AM

Judging by the wierframe wiew, and the grass movement in the video, it looks like it could be some version of the Real-Time Fur paper by Jerome Lengyel from Microsoft Research. That is just a guess thou.

absurd

January 08, 2002, 11:58 AM

WOW!!! (using html code to make letters bigger is lame)
    Impressive. Please explain me how you did the grass?!

Punchey

January 08, 2002, 12:02 PM

I don't see how you can be so critical! While this may not look PRECISELY like a real-life photo, it sure as heck looks at least like a fine painting! Bear in mind, I'm going off of the still shots. I cannot get the website to come up.

Punchey

January 08, 2002, 12:03 PM

How are all of you viewing the codecult website? When I follow the link, I always get:
    "we are moving to a more powerful server. Please stay tuned (expected return at 18:00 GMT) "

Am I missing something?

abdulla

January 08, 2002, 12:06 PM

i think you took images of the flash page and made that the non-flash page

abdulla

January 08, 2002, 12:09 PM

you mean 2 vertex shader pipelines

abdulla

January 08, 2002, 12:11 PM

or i could be lost, he's just using flash, think vector graphics

abdulla

January 08, 2002, 12:18 PM

goltrpoat

Kanda

January 08, 2002, 03:23 PM

Very nice, but dont like the grass animation...But look nice anyway

zed zeek

January 08, 2002, 03:37 PM

u complete + utter bastards, now im gonna have to make my grass also per blade resolution, thanks for the extra work i really appreciate it ;)

vamecum

January 09, 2002, 10:39 PM

I think those pictures are the bomb!
    hehe, I just started learning direct3d and hasn't come
    to far in highschool, we just learned of cos,sin and tan!
    but anyhow, I'll try to develop....
    And the thing I find most anoying is that on the tech notes
    on the pictures, you don't state if it is realtime
    or just art.
    Very good though!

char string[] = "I had to test this, and I wonder if it catches bugs";
    // catch bugs???? will this make the page lock up with access //violation???
    int array[5];
    array[5]=0x1337C0D3;

Sebastian Sylvan

January 13, 2002, 11:56 AM

The animated grass looks cheap. Let it stay static instead, it would look a lot better. It just doesn't look realistic the way the grass moves right now.
    "If you can't do it right don't do it" - Carmack.

Berserk

January 15, 2002, 10:00 AM

I agree with Sebastian, there's something strange in the way grass moves. Right now, it's better off not moving. If you want to to a good job of animating grass, better take a careful look at real nature.

bluestone

January 17, 2002, 04:42 AM

Geforce 3 = Cray C94 SuperComputer, Vertex Buffers. P4 so that
    the result is incredible.!

greenhybrid

January 21, 2002, 09:06 AM

wapwap. Heard about that engine in the german pc-action ( or was it pc-games?? ) - mag. I mussa say: SuperFatStylishHighAndSoOn

Laurent MASCHERPA

February 22, 2002, 08:27 PM

Don't worry, I loved yours too, so sad I was at the takeover and it was not shown there :/
    Great intro, I mean ;)

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 3 4 ... out of 4) Next Last