Submitted by Thomas v. Treichel, posted on January 07, 2002

Image Description, by Thomas v. Treichel

Code Creatures is a new Game Development System with State of tomorrow technology. On the screenshots you see the first demo done with CodeCreatures. Some informatuion about the demo content:
  • Using Vertex-Shader for the animated Gras
  • Using Vertex Shader for the realistic Sky-Dome with correct Atmosphear- calculating
  • 250.000 - 300.000 Polygons per View
  • aprox. 35.000 Polys per Tree
  • Right now it runs up to 15.000.000 Polygons per second on a P IV 1.5 Ghz
  • More information about codecreatures you can get at www.codecult.com

Greets,

Thomas v. Treichel

Kennel

January 07, 2002, 06:46 PM

OMG! I thought the screenshots were amazing and then I checked out the movie on their website! Reminds me of the nature scene in 3DMark2001 only 10x more beautiful.

MiNDHiVE

January 07, 2002, 06:51 PM

Why are you running at 640x480 with your GeForce2mx??? :P
    I even ran at 800x600 on my old 486 with only a 14" monitor.

MiNDHiVE

January 07, 2002, 06:59 PM

166,666 polys per frame at 60fps sounds a bit high for a GeForce256 even with DDR RAM. I don't think I'd even expect it from my GeForce2GTS (which isn't that fancy, but it's better than the 256!). Is this a maximum rate for you? Or are you generating it constantly... what manner of polys are you pushing through the engine? colored? (multi)textured? lit? Fixed function or Vertex Shaders? Then again, perhaps you're CPU kicks the shit out of mine (though I wouldn't have thought with vertex buffers and triangle strips the CPU would be the bottleneck). Oh well... back to the drawing board ;)

MK42

January 07, 2002, 07:03 PM

If it *was* an NV25 ... erh ... then they probably broke their NDA with nVidia ... *ouch*

- Marco

MiNDHiVE

January 07, 2002, 07:05 PM

The rand() function isn't the fastest call you could be doing, but I'd say your problem is that you're a mere mortal like I am and aren't running a system that will still be current a decade from now (slight exaggeration.. :P).

MiNDHiVE

January 07, 2002, 07:11 PM

I expect they reduced the FPS when creating the vid... 24 fps is reasonable for a movie I reckon.

Tristan

January 07, 2002, 07:52 PM

Damn I really need a geforce 3! and a p4 1.5 would be nice as well

It seems from one the wireframe screenshot that no LOD is used on the landscape (well the ground of the landscape). Is this true? If so, I would be interested to know how big your landscapes can be?

ykarj

January 07, 2002, 08:12 PM

i'ts hard to write with all those tears fogging my eyes..

Kurt Miller

January 07, 2002, 08:19 PM

The movies on the site were awesome, especially the editor :D

lunar

January 07, 2002, 08:37 PM

HOLE E SHIT. That's nuts! ...Back to the drawing board. IOTDs like this are always nice because they make everyone else try a LOT harder!!! Well, I think its safe to say none of us have ever seen anything that smooth before... or we just don't have time to implement all those features. Anyone claiming that its not that good is just in denial. That engine raises the bar a few miles so keep up the great work you guys.

SirKnight

January 07, 2002, 08:42 PM

Hmmm. Earlier the text description under the screenshots said NV25. Thats why i had to mention it. :) But now that i read the description again, i see it has been edited. So either he does have an NV25 (geforce 4) and just broke the disclosure agreement with nvidia or it was just a typo and it needed to be corrected to stop the confusion. :) But more than likely he just thought the geforce 3 was the NV25 instead of the NV20 which it is and was just an error.

krogoth

January 07, 2002, 10:11 PM

Where are all the jokes about "this 'Real Life' engine is good but..." :)

Do you have animated water too, or is it s 'just' one of the best water effects I've seen? (This might be answered in the movie, but I don't do Flash so I don't get much out of the site)

Neil Edelman

January 07, 2002, 11:05 PM

> correct Atmosphear- calculating

Sounds nifty; what does that mean? Are you talking about weather simulation, light scattering in the air, optical effects, fog, or something else?

LessBread

January 07, 2002, 11:47 PM

Nice picture - I half expect to see an image of Jesus riding in off those clouds...

Jaltz

January 07, 2002, 11:49 PM

Very impressive.

Hard to tell, but is each blade of grass its own quad? or
    is it clumps of grass to each quad.

Flowers in the grass is great touch.

Your water effect is great. Very nice looking reflective surface.

A demo would be great to evaluate it.
    Best of luck with it.

Regards
    Jaltz

Max

January 07, 2002, 11:50 PM

Have you read the VAR information on NVIDIAs site? I've gotten 20M polygons per second on a GeForce 2 GTS (not in a realistic situation).

Max

XycsoscyX

January 08, 2002, 12:17 AM

Wait, I may be wrong (there seemed to be confusion about it earlier so I'm not absolute), but wasn't the NV25 the chipset used on the XBox? And the NV20 is the GeForce2 series, and the NV30 would be the GeForce3 series?

El Wolf

January 08, 2002, 12:20 AM

WOW
    This is one of the most impressive pics I've ever seen
    what is the FPS like on a P4? and what GPU are you using?

How much is the engine license ? :)

Ben Hanson

January 08, 2002, 12:31 AM

The site says the engine is based off of D3D.. which means everything is in triangles(or anything with fewer points then triangles) right?

EGreg

January 08, 2002, 02:29 AM

VERY IMPRESSIVE! How'd you do the trees and the grass?

And guys, YOU DONT HAVE TO CURSE ya know :)

-Greg

lunar

January 08, 2002, 03:04 AM

Yes... yes we do. ;p j/k.

I apologize for my foul mouth, but man that is impressive!

jurgen

January 08, 2002, 03:50 AM

I saw a doc on the website:

29.000 deutsche mark
    100.000 deutsche mark with source code

jurgen

PS I think 2 mark is 1 euro ...

thoooms

January 08, 2002, 04:19 AM

This is a very impressive engine, I bet you wrote it using qbasic..
    How many years does it take to write such an engine?

Hamburgler

January 08, 2002, 04:36 AM

one of the atmosphereric effects is the sky. it is "ray traced" and changes color when the sun ( suns, if you like ) moves. you are also able to alter the airs scattering and refraction to simulate a mars like atmosphere.

Fil

January 08, 2002, 04:39 AM

Eek..

Ok, Why is it I keep reducing the number of poligons from my terrain "engine"? Could it me because I have a P3@733 width terrible Vanta? (And because of a lot of unoptimizations:)

Very nice looking work... Too much dependant on the futuristic technology, but still awsome work.

Congratulations!

PS - I am sorry i couldn't see the movie... 30 MB is a lot for my internet permissions (private "joke")

AndersO

January 08, 2002, 05:02 AM

Neat!

How did you do your reflections?

Thomas von Treichel

January 08, 2002, 05:06 AM

you are right

Rogue6

January 08, 2002, 05:14 AM

No the X-Box has the NV2A which is more powerful than the NV20 (GeForce 3) as it has two texture processors.

Thomas von Treichel

January 08, 2002, 05:14 AM

In this version the trees aren't moving - but wait for the final release (we think, that it will be released in february)

sagacity

January 08, 2002, 05:15 AM

Maybe in 64k?

Click here and there's some other intros that do that as well.

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 3 4 ... out of 4) Next Last