Submitted by Thomas v. Treichel, posted on January 07, 2002

Image Description, by Thomas v. Treichel

Code Creatures is a new Game Development System with State of tomorrow technology. On the screenshots you see the first demo done with CodeCreatures. Some informatuion about the demo content:
  • Using Vertex-Shader for the animated Gras
  • Using Vertex Shader for the realistic Sky-Dome with correct Atmosphear- calculating
  • 250.000 - 300.000 Polygons per View
  • aprox. 35.000 Polys per Tree
  • Right now it runs up to 15.000.000 Polygons per second on a P IV 1.5 Ghz
  • More information about codecreatures you can get at www.codecult.com

Greets,

Thomas v. Treichel

Willem

January 07, 2002, 11:39 AM

How the fuck did you manage to get to Hobbiton being on of Men?

Scorp

January 07, 2002, 11:40 AM

Hey that is nothing compared to my engine! At least it won’t be when I get to the next development cycle. It works on any graphics card, and I can already show a rotating cube. So be aware. Oh and my engine is open source. Beat that!!!

Christopher Dudley

January 07, 2002, 11:41 AM

Looks like a real place somewhere...impressive. But then, how long before an "average" PC will be able to run anything close to that?

How did you get ahold of an NV25?

Extremely pretty pictures, keep up the great work!

davepermen

January 07, 2002, 11:43 AM

oki.. now its small.. sorry but the old posts wont be replaced except the smaller pic (reload the page and its small)

MrDevlin

January 07, 2002, 11:48 AM

is the gf4 out already???
    or did you get some beta version of the card?

MK42

January 07, 2002, 12:14 PM

The screenshots look impressive. I think I've seen a shot of Code Creatures in the magazine PC Games (Germany) before, but I'm not sure. It kinda reminds me a bit of X-Isle ... just that you have more grass, much more detailed trees and no dinos ;)

Looks extremely professional,

Marco

Morgan

January 07, 2002, 12:27 PM

Wow.

stoo

January 07, 2002, 12:30 PM

I saw your display at ECTS which was wicked (if it was you..?).

You said one thing to solve was when objects moved through the grass; making it crush underfoot etc.. So, have you figured that out yet? ;)

Looks just as amazing the second time round.

stoo

Frisbee

January 07, 2002, 12:53 PM

WOHOW

NitroGL

January 07, 2002, 12:57 PM

Better kick up the pitch! :)

Red01GT

January 07, 2002, 01:00 PM

My sentiments exactly :-)

Wim Libaers

January 07, 2002, 01:03 PM

And ugly ;-)
    You know, if you just type the formula here as a link to the image, that would be better. And it would add some suspense, now you're just giving the solution away immediately (not that anyone here wouldn't know it already).

The IOTD does look really good. Unlike the horrible website. How high is the FPS and at which resolution? I guess 50, from the numbers given, but it's not clear how high the resolution can get before framerate starts to drop.

Riku Teirilä

January 07, 2002, 01:08 PM

No-one will ever dare to send a single landscape iotd after that... wow.

Countach

January 07, 2002, 01:19 PM

...

Hang on while I catch my breath...

max621

January 07, 2002, 01:19 PM

Wow... the landscape of all landscapes!

Philipp Schaefer

January 07, 2002, 01:24 PM

Yes, it looks a bit like a Barbie-Fansite.

Uthman

January 07, 2002, 01:25 PM

dude- is it just me? Or my code?

If i make a PLAIN BLANK APP, with just 1 while loop and make it pump out 10000 small random polys on the screen, even on my gf3 it cant take it. how the fuck do u guys get 5000000? can some PLZ send me _FAST_ gl base code @_@#####

davepermen

January 07, 2002, 01:25 PM

ugly.. nice.. nice people you are here in flipcode..

you know what? i'm not only a name here in the forum! i'm a PERSON, with real body and a real HEARTH (and you can even SEE it!;)) and those phrases hurt me really.. how can you be so unfair against other people?! i scaled it down as much as i can for you.. and what's the result? i'm really hurt now.. *snif*

btw, if you have an n25 yet, are there some official news we can have yet? mostly i'm interested if there are bether pixelshader-features than on the radeon8500..

davepermen

January 07, 2002, 01:30 PM

uthman, first he sais its for the geforce4 (nv25) and second i guess they use VAR very much (Vertex Array Range, an ext for nvidia-gpu's.. with those you _can_ get the same amount by simply pushing triangles on the screen (if they are small and nontextured and nonlit etc;)))

Matthew Trentacoste

January 07, 2002, 01:35 PM

How are you modelling the atmosphere? Just simple hardware fog or are you doing something more complicated? You computing involving a receiving medium or actually doing realtime volumetric calculations along the lines of Gamasutra article? I've been experimenting with various things (nothing to show as of yet), and want to know what you found worked.

Roch Denis

January 07, 2002, 01:38 PM

... I..

damn now I'm ashamed of my engine! You gave me a polygon/second complex!

Others can say I havent seen REAL engines but personaly this is THE best landscape I've seen per se. I suspect it will true for a long while.

*kicks artist to add more polys*

brx_-r2_

January 07, 2002, 01:39 PM

yup, the screenshots look really nice. But as to the system requirements, I wonder how long we have to wait until every pc at home (well, let's say gamers' pcs) will be capable of displaying realtime graphics of such quality at acceptable speed :))

and I agree with the others, the website needs to be changed a little ;)

sea cow

January 07, 2002, 01:40 PM

The IOTD is amazing! On the subject of signatures, can you please remove that picture in your signature altogether, Davepermen? No offense, but graphics like that make reading threads unbearable.

Octopussy

January 07, 2002, 01:49 PM

Sure that we can't miss it :-)

Spalter

January 07, 2002, 01:52 PM

that's sick dude...
    you want us all to give up coding, dont you? ;)

ReAL

January 07, 2002, 01:53 PM

It's nothing compared to my engine ;) Lol just kidding. VERY impressive! But what are the system requests?

Philipp Schaefer

January 07, 2002, 01:58 PM

As far as I've understand the minimum is a GF3 graphiccard.

Matthew Trentacoste

January 07, 2002, 01:58 PM

For those hungry for NV25 info, try here. I found a better article earlier. Will keep hunting.

davepermen

January 07, 2002, 02:06 PM

sea cow.. go into other forums and you see that my sign is not a problem at all.. i'm sorry i made it smaller for you i can't do more (ok, i dont want to)

and there is no problem in reading, no its even bether to seperate who said what with images because of the personality (mostly because i can't read the names on the right often when there are code-snippeds)

end of topic.. i like it. thats just flaming (no offence to you all)

William Dahlberg

January 07, 2002, 02:22 PM

Woohooe!
    For how long has that thing been in development?
    Looks amazing!

First Previous ( To view more messages, select a page: 0 1 2 3 4 ... out of 4) Next Last