Submitted by Cybermike, posted on January 02, 2002

Image Description, by Cybermike

This is a montage of screenshots from a game is called 'The Colony 3 Chronicles' that I have been developing. I have allways wanted to see a strategy game that combined the four major combat environments. So, about a year ago I set out to write the game that I would like to play. So here I am a year (and I dont know how many thousands of hours later) and I have now got my game to the beta testing stage. It takes place in space, air land and sea. The game engine supports : 24 hour daylight profile editor. Sun moon cycles, animated clouds and water, specularity and shadow, alpha blending, blurring. Powerful AI and Motion dynamics for underwater craft, surface craft on land and water, air craft, space craft and fixed defensive turrets. Flexible camera options allow the player to set up optimal zoom and FOV, Cameral modes include Tower, Target, Chase, Tactical, Pilot, and Padlock views. Weapon dynamics cater for bullets, shells, lasers and missiles to be assigned to any of the four craft. Upgrades for fuel capacity, damage, speed and strike points. Proviion is made for up to 8 sides with a maximum of 100 'units' per side. A maximum of 1000 objects can be brought into the game although, it must be stated that a 16 frame explosion effect uses 16 objects. Not all objects are displayed simultaneously. Usualy there are about 50 or so objects in the field of view at any given time. There are 16 combat unit types. 4 sea (sub, ptb, cruiser, destroyer) , 4 land (soldier, truck, apc, artilery) , 4 air (fighter, chopper, bomber, transall) and 4 space (fighter, corvette, destroyer, shuttle). Each combat unit has a maximum of 16 loadout slots. It is on to these that the weapon systems and craft accesories are attached. and this is where the fun comes in. There are a variety of weapon systems that can be 'bolted' on to each craft, and upgrades for each. Example, The machine gun is fixed. Then it can be upgraded to a tracking gun, then to predictive targeting and then you can upgrade the firing rate and the damage points.

The game scenario setting is AD2550, when a group of colonists upset a bunch of baddies and all hell breaks loose. The battle takes place in space, on two colony planets, Mars, the Moon and Earth. The result of a hyperspace jump from the outer colony worlds back to earth is a negative time shift and the battles around earth occur 10 000 years in the past. The screenshots below are from the Atlantis scenario. The process of creating 'maps' is very easy and i'm sure that players will start creating their own worlds real soon. The game engine will be liscenced will sell for about $10, but I am going to make all the artwork public domain. I estimate that I will be releasing the game in about June 2002. The game is written in Visual Basic, using direct X8. The models were created in 3D Studio Max, the 2D Artwork was done with Paint Shop Pro 5. My development system is a P3 733, 128 Meg ram, Riva TNT2 Pro. The Compiled game engine .ExE is 2.4 Megs and the total directory size with all artwork, meshes and audio files is 1.25 Gig. . For more info, you are welcome to visit my site www.cybermike.za.net or u can mail me . Pop in for a visit or a chat.

Best regards,

Cybermike.

dan_g

January 02, 2002, 11:29 AM

Wow, looks amazing!

guzzloid

January 02, 2002, 11:45 AM

Looks nice, but I don't seem to be able to download the demo/screensaver from your site. Checking the HTML source I see that the links on the downloads page are self-referential, instead of pointing to actual download files.

From the screenshots the game kinda looks like a jazzed up version of "Carrier Command" from the ST/Amiga/Spectrum (Yes, you could even get it for the lowly speccy!). Can't wait to try it out!

Morlith

January 02, 2002, 11:46 AM

Cool! Your features sound great!
I had a nice idea for a RTS game yesterday which came from the fact that you always have a limited set of buildings for your scenario. In my idea you could build a house and plan all the interior for yourself, eg. place labs, weapn chambers, command centers all into a building... so your bases can be even more dynamic... but it's just an idea =)
Anyway, nice work!

Raz

January 02, 2002, 11:49 AM

Looks great! Impressive to see what can be done in VB these days!

coda

January 02, 2002, 11:50 AM

all your base are belong to us

Morlith

January 02, 2002, 12:01 PM

@coda: yeah, great domain name =)

IKillNetwork

January 02, 2002, 12:52 PM

oohh a ion frigate from homeworld

YvonnaFlipShirt

January 02, 2002, 02:40 PM

I find your gratuitous display of implements war offensive and disturbing. That's CRIMETHINK! Report for reorientation in sector kappa-9.

michael

January 02, 2002, 03:01 PM

Looks damn good.

Punchey

January 02, 2002, 04:23 PM

No, report to MINILOVE (Ministry of Love) doubleplus quick.

Joshua A. Winn (JAW)

January 02, 2002, 05:09 PM

Looks and sounds great. Whats with the plain colored (and flat?) ground though? (like what that vehicle is on)

n1c_V

January 02, 2002, 06:38 PM

Looks really nice man! Hope I'll play a game like this soon !

Lourens Veen

January 02, 2002, 06:52 PM

To be honest I'm not overly impressed with the graphics, in fact, I'm not at all impressed by the graphics (but I have only the screenshots to go by, .EXE and Linux generally don't like one another), however, the amount of time you're spending on this, the amount of work you've created and the fact that you're doing everything yourself leaves me totally amazed. Good job.

El Jaco

January 02, 2002, 07:27 PM

Has anyone tried the game Incoming? This sounds a bit like that, although in that game the physics were horrible, so you could not tell the difference between an aircraft and a spacecraft or even a helicopter.

Your game looks really complete for a single developer. Keep up the good work!

Jakob

Mace

January 02, 2002, 07:47 PM

Impressive, you seem very devoted to your game and got lots of features, keep up the good work.

tyrannymaximus

January 02, 2002, 08:04 PM

all i can say is that its pretty sweet, keep up the excellent work!

cybermike

January 02, 2002, 08:12 PM

its called a beach.

cybermike

January 02, 2002, 08:24 PM

Don't you just hate the way homeworld took all the cool spaceship shapes. Now everything else I try looks cheezy. Lets face it, there's only so much one can do with 20 polygons. d@mn!

cybermike

January 02, 2002, 08:27 PM

Sign my guest book, or join my mailing list and i'll let you know when the first download version is posted on my site.

cybermike

January 02, 2002, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the comments all, if anyone wants to be notified when the first downloadable demo becomes available, please sign the guestbook or join the mailing list on my website.

PS. All your bases are sold for scrap metal to defray the costs of fighting you. (I'm mildly curious, where does the phrase 'all your bases are belong to us' originate ?

z66831

January 02, 2002, 09:58 PM

Carrier Command was the first thing I thought of as well. :) THAT GAME ROOLED. :)

-z

outRider

January 02, 2002, 10:20 PM

Go to the above URL, you'll see the entire history, from its hilarious beginnings to its tired overused fade into history.

cybermike

January 03, 2002, 01:24 AM

sorry, don't seem to be able to see an 'above url'

Dan Royer

January 03, 2002, 03:55 AM

MiniTHINK. MiniT-H-I-N-K. you rememberin': double minus good.

Dan Royer

January 03, 2002, 03:57 AM

Have anonymous grey insects in man-suits and shades asked to buy your game, all it source, rights, future developments along these lines, and your secrecy for an unexpectedly large sum?

MiNDHiVE

January 03, 2002, 05:16 AM

Interesting to see such a complete game project in VB. Kudos for you there for developing in an 'obscure' environment. How's performace? Is it pure VB or are you writing sections in C/C++/Assembly/Pascal/Delphi/Python/Prolog/Fortran/Smalltalk/French/German/You get the idea... :P

bwalmisley

January 03, 2002, 05:48 AM

Any chance of getting your downloads to work? (The links refer back to the download page).

I'm pretty stunned that you've come so far in only a year or less. Writing a game (as opposed to writing an engine) is tough.

Benedict

A DHenstock

January 03, 2002, 11:35 AM

Remember though 'crimethink' is not thinking about crime but stopping yourself before you ever think of anything that could lead to thought crime.

cybermike

January 03, 2002, 03:18 PM

No , but I had three job offers and a really nasty virus emailed to me. (worm_hybris.c posing as anal.exe) What can I say, To quote Edger from Cyberpunk, 'Aint it great to be loved.' ;-P