Submitted by Ohad Eder Pressman, posted on January 01, 2002

Image Description, by Ohad Eder Pressman

Since 1989 Bomberman has been defined by gamers as the ultimate multiplayer game. IMR-Bombers is a Palm version of the classic Bomberman & DynaBlaster games.

From a developer point of view, the game includes a heavy Palm-Graphics-Engine that manages to run the game at a rather fluent 20 fps.

We've worked on the AI for a long time (twice as long as it took to write the rest of the game). We've re-written it twice and we hope that now it's strong enough to play-smart for up to 4 Computer-Driven opponents on a 24-33mhz device.

Downloads and Movies (for those of you who don't have a palm) should be available on our site by now. Visit the IMR-Bombers site for more info : http://ohad.visual-i.com/PILOT/PILOT.HTM

Politik

January 02, 2002, 09:27 AM

If the only thing you've STOLEN is the BOMBERMAN image, then why not redo that as well?

Politik

January 02, 2002, 09:33 AM

And copying art from a game that copies the original art does not mean you're not ripping off the original art.

Kanda

January 02, 2002, 09:43 AM

Cool work !
tell us more about the AI ?

Ohad Eder Pressman

January 02, 2002, 10:34 AM

I've taken that comment to my attention, I inted to change the logo and text-logo.

Stolen is an ugly word, I used a style that is not my own invention for the text, and I used a picture that someone (not from Hudson-Soft, nor affiliated with Hudson-Soft) drew and posted on his Bomberman-Fan-Site.

As I've said, I've got the graphics-guy working on something new.

StAn

January 02, 2002, 11:49 AM

I don't think the whole screen has to be redrawn every frame :)
Maybe a third of that surface, when there is a lot of action...

Ohad Eder Pressman

January 02, 2002, 03:32 PM

Yoni Lavi (aka Silvatar) wrote the AI, and he refuses to do a write-up until he finishes his job (we haven't finalized the attack-code yet).

What I can say is that we use a node-based data-structure to scan where the player 'can go', he then checks for nodes with high 'scoring', that is places that contain bonuses, places that allow you to place effective bombs, etc. The player sets himself a target and walks on. All players re-evaluate their status when critical-events occur. A critical event is usually when bombs detonate, when other players die, etc. Since bombs take X seconds to explode an AI player can easily determine if a certain path is safe.

Using this system, together with a 'not too complicated' attack-code that tries to follow other players and lock them into low-scored nodes using bombs, plus a few more voodoo rules a slight randomization achieves entertaining, challenging and satisfying behavior on part of the computer players.

I hope I didn't miss anything or didn't miss-represent anything :)

DEVLiN

January 03, 2002, 07:42 AM

Depending ofcourse on how he's doing it... :)

[MENTAL]