Submitted by Ohad Eder Pressman, posted on January 01, 2002

Image Description, by Ohad Eder Pressman

Since 1989 Bomberman has been defined by gamers as the ultimate multiplayer game. IMR-Bombers is a Palm version of the classic Bomberman & DynaBlaster games.

From a developer point of view, the game includes a heavy Palm-Graphics-Engine that manages to run the game at a rather fluent 20 fps.

We've worked on the AI for a long time (twice as long as it took to write the rest of the game). We've re-written it twice and we hope that now it's strong enough to play-smart for up to 4 Computer-Driven opponents on a 24-33mhz device.

Downloads and Movies (for those of you who don't have a palm) should be available on our site by now. Visit the IMR-Bombers site for more info : http://ohad.visual-i.com/PILOT/PILOT.HTM

drZool

January 01, 2002, 03:24 PM

nice landscapeengine :) lod? ;)

Liquidex

January 01, 2002, 03:31 PM

Heh very cute. I like it.

--Liq

=[Scarab]=

January 01, 2002, 03:42 PM

Kick ass! Bomberman rocks da house! :D

Olio

January 01, 2002, 04:04 PM

What do people gain from these comments?
Like this IOTD, nobody is allowed to say anything but "Ooh, Aah, Nice!".

I think it is nice to see somebody finishing a game, but if there's a Bomberman-game for Palm already then why create another?

EGreg

January 01, 2002, 04:07 PM

Use perlin noise AI! Yay :)

-Greg

SientStrike

January 01, 2002, 04:19 PM

Too many bomberman games :(.

I just started on a GPLed Bomberman game for the PC, as my first real game.

maddoc

January 01, 2002, 04:22 PM

I'm not familiar with palm developing but 24-33MHz?!
Doesn't Wolfenstein/Commander Keen/... only needed a 286 processor?!
I don't know how much RAM these hand helds have and I also don't know how fast the graphic chip is or the LCD. But it sounds a little bit strange to me.

anyways nice pic

comparing pc 2 palms doesn't work, right? =)

Zaei

January 01, 2002, 04:31 PM

If im not mistaken, my Palm V runs on a 13 mHz Dragonball processor. You can also get software to overclock up to 54 mHz (depending on the processor).

Z.

Ohad Eder Pressman

January 01, 2002, 04:32 PM

People are allowed to ask technical questions and make comments like they do with any other IOTD.

Apparently 3 different companeis were working on a Bomberman game for the palm, and all 3 (including us) have released their game during 3 consecutive days, so no one was really the first. And say there was a game and some other company was to release another one, this is the whole essence of competing products.

MiNDHiVE

January 01, 2002, 04:37 PM

24 Mhz isn't that much of a jump from the 286 considering they came as fast as 20Mhz. Also peoples expectations in terms of FPS and other things such as animation quality and scrolling were much lower then, I'm sure if you went back to your 286 and played W3D it wouldn't play as smoothely as you remember.

Flawless

January 01, 2002, 04:54 PM

You are quite right, it definitely wouldn't run smooth on a 286!

However, on my lightning-fast 386 DX 40... wuhuuu! :-)

kewldude

January 01, 2002, 05:04 PM

Is 20fps right, i would think that a 16x16 bomberman sprite could be drawn a few hundres times a second?

richard

January 01, 2002, 05:32 PM

What do people gain from these comments?
Like this IOTD, nobody is allowed to say anything but "Ooh, Aah, Nice!".

Would you like it if _nobody_ said something nice about your 'kickass engine with ultra loose accelerated octrees' when sending it as an IOTD?

If I'd send an IOTD, I would really like to see many comments with 'ooh' and 'aah' because that'd mean I did a good job :)

ps. Wow! Aaah, this IOTD is really nice!!

Luc Van den Borre

January 01, 2002, 05:33 PM

Nice work. I imagine it must have been hard to get the license from Hudsonsoft, huh? Or are you in one of those countries where IP laws are somewhat non-existant?

Ogotay

January 01, 2002, 06:04 PM

In fact, I still remember playing Wolfenstein on a 386 AND a 286 quite well. I think a 286 was the minimum requirement, and it was almost unplayable, like 5 fps or so, while on the 386 40DX (an AMD clone btw, don't think Intel ever released a 40Mhz 386, 33Mhz was the highest) it ran perfectly even at the highest resolution. And don't forget, Mhz are not everything, the architecture of the hardware, especially of the CPU itself is very important.

INFerNa|

January 01, 2002, 06:23 PM

Well either they have the permission anyways, or it won't matter, all the graphics in this IOTD are original to this game, the name is not Bomberman, and as far as I know the company that made bomberman hasn't gone to the extent of the tetris makers to sue anyone witht he word BOMB in their name. Gameplay models are not IP, even small tweaking can change gameplay anwyays, the game code, engine, graphics and sounds are IP. I don't think this game violates the IP laws. So simma down!

DEVLiN

January 01, 2002, 06:31 PM

Yeah, on a stationary computer perhaps... read the systemspecs...

Nice work though... I love to see some more 2d-games out there... :)

Maz

January 01, 2002, 07:00 PM

didnt kno u were on here Liq ol' boy

z66831

January 01, 2002, 09:08 PM

Except for likeness violations. The "bomber man" in the title screen looks suspiciously like the Hudsonsoft BomberMan... and just like if you made a pokemon-like game (collecting monsters, training them, fighting) Nintendo couldn't sue you, they could if your main character looked just like Pikachu, but was orange.

-z

PS. I love clones like this, and I'm not bashing the authors -- it's really more of a "watch your back, you really could get busted." If the game is for commercial sale, it would be wise to just change that title screen graphic and call it good. :)

Politik

January 01, 2002, 09:47 PM

Making something with gameplay like bomberman is one thing; profiting from another artist's work without paying royalties is another.

zed zeek

January 01, 2002, 10:20 PM

>>and as far as I know the company that made bomberman hasn't gone to the extent of the tetris makers to sue anyone witht he word BOMB in their name

Ohad Eder Pressman

January 01, 2002, 11:36 PM

All the graphics in the game, except for the image in the title-screen which was taken from one of the 10's of freeware/shareware Bopmberman clones you can find on the net, are original.

My borhter sat and drew every single pixel, all the level graphics, and all the characters.

Ohad Eder Pressman

January 01, 2002, 11:37 PM

Thanks for the thumbs up. We've been (in our heads) bothered by this as well. We didn't use their name, we didn't use their graphics, we just share common gameplay which I doubt we can eb sued over.

Changing the logo is a good idea though, we'll give it a thought.

Thanks

kewldude

January 02, 2002, 02:23 AM

Yeah i did read the system specs, on a stationary computer with that power you could draw it a few thousand times a second.

Moonbird

January 02, 2002, 03:59 AM

"it ran perfectly even at the highest resolution"

And then came DOOM... :)

DEVLiN

January 02, 2002, 07:15 AM

I'd like to see you do that... on a PALM, using a 24-33 Mhz processor, with no hardware-accelleration whatsoever and still have cycles left for advanced AI.

From what I can tell from the pics, it looks like he does indeed draw it 2860+ times / second... 13 blocks wide, 11 blocks high (counting just the level, not additional sprites that lies above the level) at 20 frames per second = 11 * 13 * 20 = 2860 sprites / second.

So what _are_ you blabbering about? :) :) :)

DEVLiN

January 02, 2002, 07:17 AM

And a good job he did as well... :)

The graphics are just as cute as they should be. :)

Stefan Karlsson

January 02, 2002, 07:46 AM

"but if there's a Bomberman-game for Palm already then why create another?"

If there is allready a quake for pc why make a new version?

YOU ARE AN IDIOT GO AND DO SOMETHING ELSE BUT TRASH THIS LITTLE BOYS SELFCONFIDENCE!! ;-)

L.e.Denninger

January 02, 2002, 08:06 AM

This sucks! I can code a much faster landscape-engine!

danthalas

January 02, 2002, 08:49 AM

Hi Ohad! Nice and very good looking game for the Palm (that small thing I can't afford, sigh!).
But I guess it will be more beautiful with a 3D terrain carrying an incredible pregenerated texture (you know what I mean, since it's the only thing I'm able to do, it seems).
That's all.