Submitted by Andrew Bowell, posted on December 24, 2001

Image Description, by Andrew Bowell

This image is a screen grab of our Havokized Shockwave 3D Christmas Card. Here is the link to the demo: http://www.havok.com/card.html. Havok has developed the Havok Xtra which is a fully integrated rigid body physics simulation engine for Macromedia Director.

In this demo the idea is pretty simple, just drive around the bedroom and bag as many Christmas Puddings as you can in the shortest time possible; I think our office record is 19 seconds. As soon as all the puddings have been gathered, the timer records the time taken and immediately restarts the clock. On the first attempt you have 100 seconds, but from then on you must always beat your previous time, otherwise you get whipped! Watch out for the snowman and the spinning top.

This demo illustrates some of the behavior you can get with Havok as part of a production game. The entire environment has been created in 3ds Max and exported using the Havok Exporter for max. Most of the objects in the scene are physical, and the car itself is a modified form of the older raycast car demos available from our Xtra Developer site (http://www.havok.com/xtra/index.htm). If you don't have Shockwave 3D installed or need to upgrade you'll automatically get our Xtra when you do so.

Best regards and Happy Holidays,
Andrew Bowell.

ShiningKnight

December 24, 2001, 07:08 AM

Pretty nifty looking indeed.

ZaCO

December 24, 2001, 09:11 AM

Whoah! My best time was 17. Cool game! =)

z80

December 24, 2001, 09:58 AM

I very much admire your physics engine. Very very cool.

kewldude

December 24, 2001, 10:06 AM

Nice rigid body physics, but the car physics are really crappy!

richard

December 24, 2001, 10:26 AM

Hmm.. deja vu.. I've played this game before.. but it wasn't this one..

Oh well, it's nice to play it again :)

L.e.Denninger

December 24, 2001, 10:36 AM

I got a shockwave script-error after playing it for a while...

davepermen

December 24, 2001, 10:43 AM

i'll try it soon. merry christmas everyone

Khrob

December 24, 2001, 11:04 AM

I love the havok stuff - bloody miraculous when animating :)

Merry christmas all - where's the 'lets make a thread with more than 300 posts in a couple of hours' spirit this year? ;)

ReAL

December 24, 2001, 11:25 AM

very nice game (and super small!!) my best time was 66 seconds left :)

YvonnaFlipShirt

December 24, 2001, 12:21 PM

Good job.
The snowperson reminds me of explodingdog cartoons.

incinx

December 24, 2001, 12:28 PM

Good stuff, but please don't have it install something automatically that will end up closing all my browser windows without warning.

Ron Frazier

December 24, 2001, 01:56 PM

I know what you mean about the closing windows thing (p'd me off), but its not really his fault. All he does is insert the necessary tags into the HTML. Then IE recognizes that it requires an application not already installed (shockwave). You should then be prompted with a dialog to install shockwave (unless you told IE once upon a time to always trust plugins from Macromedia). Finally, it downloads the Macromedia Shockwave installer, which is actually what closes the windows. So in summary, its not his fault...complain to Macromedia for writing such a rude installer.

Of course, if your using netscape, I dont know a thing about it's plugin process, but its probably similar.

=[Scarab]=

December 24, 2001, 04:11 PM

Haven't tried this one yet, but wasn't that 'lamp on an obstacle course' powered by Havok too? That was really cool. :)

Funkymunky

December 24, 2001, 05:31 PM

Yeah, nice work posting a Christmas IOTD on Christmas Eve day! Merry Christmas to all, peace, and feast on at least toast, geese, and some cheesy roast beast.

davepermen

December 24, 2001, 05:38 PM

hy

merry christmas to everyone, nice game, made me some fun. i want to wish in here merry christmas too to my mothers sisters family. they have currently a very hard time and this day whas the worst of all. i hope they'll all be fine, i miss them. good luck to olly,tan,ruedi und sily. god bless you all.

merry christmas once again.
one family for peace

Politik

December 24, 2001, 10:19 PM

It'd be nice if the car only turned when you applied forward "gas", as opposed to being able to spin in place. I could turn a little more naturally then.

iMalc

December 25, 2001, 12:58 AM

How appropriate. And it even IS christmas day here already!
:P

Sounds like fun and looks nice too.

TRB121

December 25, 2001, 06:02 AM

This demo's pretty fun to play... too bad I suck at driving. =P merry christmas to all... i'm going up to tahoe to catch some of that snow!

DirtyPunk

December 25, 2001, 06:18 AM

It buggered off :)

Which reminds me - We gotta do lunch and stuff.

luther2k

December 25, 2001, 07:16 AM

Great engine, I always like a nice bit of rigid body dynamics at Christmas time. I'm curious about flash's 3d component also; how do you actually program for this? I imagine that the flash editor hasn't gone 3d so you must be able to compile directly to swf files in another way. How is this done?

Cheers,

Tim.

NEGA

December 25, 2001, 11:03 AM

Very good and fun game, but just like kewldude said the car physics really mess you up, its like the floor is superwaxed or something. Does this shockwave demo use the same tech like in Reactor, or is it stripped down for performance, sake? Anyways, nicely done.

Merry Christmas All,
NEGA

EGreg

December 25, 2001, 01:03 PM

Haha, my best time was 14!

Nah, just kidding, I didn't play it.

But I'm glad you got something done with the Havok engine for Christmas, and it's looking cool! :-)

-Greg

max621

December 25, 2001, 01:53 PM

How much does this SDK cost? :)

[-WD40-]

December 27, 2001, 05:08 PM

Nice work

Could you explain how rigid body physic works? does it work independently of the shape of the object (per vertex)? I've always been interrested about this thing but never had time to look into it