Submitted by Thijs Sloesen, posted on December 15, 2001

Image Description, by Thijs Sloesen

This is a very early beta screenshot from our upcoming game. The game is sort of a Double Dragon clone with pre-rendered 3D scenes. The game engine currently supports the following:
  • uses SDL, thus is cross-platform
  • can load actor files which define all animation frames and animations
  • actor files can contain scripts; these scripts actually define the entire game: how does a player move, with which key, and what happens when a player is hit?
  • the entire game (and engine) is written in C++, resulting in very clean, understandable code, and since we plan on releasing the game source code as part of the engine SDK, this is quite positive, don't you think? :)
  • This is what is currently on our todo-list:
  • give the scenes an even more 3d "feeling" using a moving camera while pre-rendering all scenes
  • background of scene will move seperate from the scene itself, giving more depth
  • Anyways, this was our humble submission for the IOTD.

Best Regards,

Epidemi & Divide
    T!S

Kanda

December 15, 2001, 02:43 PM

look funny !!!!!
    I loved the games like Double dragon and more...no scenarii but so fun ;-)

Johannes Böhm

December 15, 2001, 02:45 PM

looks neat! especially the car :)

However, when I tried to post this message before, I got a strange error: "A thread by this id already exists! Please report this bug."

Anyway, well done!

Dr.Mosh

December 15, 2001, 03:09 PM

Mmmmh, I love Double Dragon. Can't wait for the demo of this.
    Makes me wonder too why no-one else has published a game like this before.

maddoc

December 15, 2001, 03:16 PM

The guy reminds me on the Californication Video of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers
    =)

=[Scarab]=

December 15, 2001, 03:27 PM

It sounds like a lot of fun. I liked these sidescrolling fighter games. Especially if they had a hotseat cooperative mode. :)

However I don't agree with your statement: "the entire game (and engine) is written in C++, resulting in very clean, understandable code". Using C++ does most certainly not result in clean, understandable code by itself. It still takes skill to create such code. Without such skill, C++ code can be just as messy and hard to understand as any other language.

William Dahlberg

December 15, 2001, 03:31 PM

Cool stuff!

Is the player characters 3D models, or 2D sprites!

Ron Frazier

December 15, 2001, 03:41 PM

Yes, Ive seen that twice before. Both time it happened when I loaded the IOTD post before there were any posts, but someone else posted before I did.

Shawn Kirst

December 15, 2001, 03:42 PM

Is it just me, or does that dude kinda look like Charlton Heston from Planet of the Apes? Get your hands off of me you damn dirty ape!

Richard Garand

December 15, 2001, 04:08 PM

That screenshot looks nice...

Is the game really cross-platform, or does it just use SDL? My engine was cross-platform before it used SDL, and you can make an SDL game that only runs on one platform.... it's all nice and well to use the SDL, but it isn't cross-platform if it only runs on Windows.

RoastBeef

December 15, 2001, 04:09 PM

Good work Epidemi & Divide, good to see you're not just working on another 3D engine. Can't wait to try a demo, it looks cool. And a 'what's up' from me ;)

Dr. Mosh: They have published a game like this... it's called The Rage.

zed zeek

December 15, 2001, 04:19 PM

i wasnt a fan of doubledragon. but anyways ive gotta ask how many polys are u using for that person 50000!!!
    it sure looks sweet though obviously CG needs to be 'dirtied up' also the persons shadow is under him (unlike the other shadows in the scene).
    looking good, but i see its only 2 weeks old will u have the endurance to bring the project to fruitition, the hardest task :)

Dr.Mosh

December 15, 2001, 04:32 PM

I have seen similar games to Double Dragon. I meant the idea of really nice pre-rendered background with some models on top :)
    I'll check out The Rage, see what all the Rage is about...
    (shoot me :)

elikez

December 15, 2001, 05:06 PM

I totally agree.
    c++ code can be beautifull and neat, but in the same time one can create terrible and barely readable c++ code.

RoastBeef

December 15, 2001, 05:06 PM

Well, The Rage isn't prerendered backgrounds, but they are 3D and rotate and stuff, and it follows the same basic premise of Double Dragon...

n1c_V

December 15, 2001, 05:19 PM

Keep it going man looks really nice!!!

[-WD40-]

December 15, 2001, 05:50 PM

looks ok, but why use prerendered backgrounds? considering the number of polys there are in the scene a runtime rendered scene would be better

StiNKy

December 15, 2001, 07:08 PM

Uhm. Slight probablem I see. Look at the guys shadow, then look at the bins shadow.

Joshua A. Winn (JAW)

December 15, 2001, 07:54 PM

Looks cool. Strange looking sidewalk and that pavement doesn't look like pavement though =)

DirtyPunk

December 15, 2001, 09:34 PM

Looks nice, although I think your lighting needs a bit of work, both your realtime lighting and your pre-render. Darker and more contrasting would give you a better double dragon feel.

Nik - Fluidgames

December 16, 2001, 06:33 AM

To Dr. Mosh:

I'm Nicola Candussi, developer manager and 3D engine coder of Fluidgames. We have done a game like this, it's called The Rage and published by Midas Interactive.
    There is a playable demo including two stages on our web page : www.fluidgames.net.
    We are planning to post an IOD soon.

hdmx

December 16, 2001, 08:05 AM

I don's see how this is going to work. If the background is prerendered and is scrolling sideways then how will the perspective of the ladder change? Not at all? Or is there another version of the background for every sidestep?
    BTW: Has anyone tried a sidescrolling game where the character moves infront of a video? I guess one could create a pretty cool game with a filmed "real world" background. The computers should be fast enough for this.

hdmx

Jari Komppa

December 16, 2001, 09:23 AM

Have you tried FF7 or FF8 ? =)

epidemi

December 16, 2001, 11:14 AM

Hey,

Yep. You're both sooo right. Using C++ does not neccesarily mean clean and understandable code. What I meant was that I'm trying my best to make the code clean and understandable. After all, what could be easier than a simple "screen.Update();" to restore the background and redraw all sprites?

Greetz,
    Epidemi

epidemi

December 16, 2001, 11:18 AM

Well, we're using 2D sprites but everything is pre-modelled using 3D models (both scenery and actors).

epidemi

December 16, 2001, 11:21 AM

You're very right about that. Our goal is, however, to make this a truely cross-platform game. Although we're currently developing in Windows, we've built a cross-platform utility library for platform specific functions (using lots of #ifdef statements:D) so in the end the game will run on (at least) Windows and UNIX/Linux.

epidemi

December 16, 2001, 11:24 AM

Hey RoastBeef!

Thanks =) There's more to us than just 3D :)
    We should do that chatting a little bit more often hehe

epidemi

December 16, 2001, 11:30 AM

Heh well, the scenes are ray-traced, and I don't see a game doing THAT in real time just yet :)

epidemi

December 16, 2001, 11:32 AM

Yeah, I know. We're still working on it. This is just a "work in progress" screenshot, it's not release quality yet, but thanks for the comment

[MENTAL]

December 16, 2001, 11:32 AM

that graffiti looks cool :)

keep up the good work

epidemi

December 16, 2001, 11:35 AM

You're absolutely right. Thanks!