Submitted by Julien Houllier, posted on December 13, 2001

Image Description, by Julien Houllier

You can download and try current version of my OpenGL 3D engine, called KoolEngine v2.25, allready posted on May 16th on version 1.4.
  • I've coded a mini-raytracer for lightmaps calculation, but this one is not perfect, as you can see between some surfaces.
  • Smooth movements
  • Collision is near perfect
  • Implemented a network socket server for multi-viewing
  • Shaders
  • Aviplayer ( not showed in this demotest ) on surfaces
  • SoundCapture ( not showed in this demotest ) on surfaces
  • You can download this demo on my website : http://point.free.fr in the folder "PROJECTS"

SeeU...and enjoy KoolEngine !

Julien

f(x)

December 14, 2001, 02:54 AM

For those experiencing the extreme slowness, try turning off the shadow of the mouse cursor. I had similar experiences in my own 3d engine when it ran in windowed mode. I'm not sure that this is the problem, but the circumstances sound similar.

Ohad Eder Pressman

December 14, 2001, 03:45 AM

looks interesting but i can'ts ee anything, brighten up the textures or add a gamma-control.

I'd also increase the speed-decaying factor.

TheChicken

December 14, 2001, 03:55 AM

Is it the same orifice that you speaking out of now? I mean the mouth of course. ehhe ;-)

Blyx

December 14, 2001, 04:30 AM

Euh...
    I see only one case where a body is in the field of a gravity force and travel at constant speed..
    It's when another force counter-balance the acceleration.. :-)

For exemple, the moon (which someone tell me that she is in orbit around the earth) travel at a constant speed and is attracted by the earth.

In common case, such as someone falling or someone jumping, the speed of travel is not constant.

Blyx.

Ron Frazier

December 14, 2001, 08:11 AM

Hiro Protagonist: "Ever heard of terminal velocity?"

Well, read again. Tristan said:
    "Gravity means that a body will always accelerate to the ground and not travel at a constant speed (not taking into count other forces like air resistance)."

Note the "(not taking into count other forces like air resistance)" part. Now lets take a look. www.encarta.com -> terminal velocity...ah, here we go:

Answer any questions for you?

Raspberry

December 14, 2001, 09:38 AM

constant speed, but not constant velocity... (that is the key)

Punchey

December 14, 2001, 09:58 AM

I'm afraid I still don't understand what you mean. A grab of the sound spectrum in realtime? Can you explain further? Thanks!

Redevil

December 14, 2001, 10:25 AM

Hmmm, well i like it, im kinda cool with the gamma as it look dark as seedy. More immersive for players than some dumbass high gamma engine *looks at StarTrek Voyagers engine

Ill be lookin forward to seeing this with an 1st-ps in mind :D

lxnyce

December 14, 2001, 10:26 AM

I am thinking like a winamp visualization plugin...don't know myself though

Squint

December 14, 2001, 11:40 AM

Unless a light source is positioned in the right one...

Buster

December 14, 2001, 12:22 PM

I swear to god i'm going to start submitting images of nothing but black squares and call them my "engine".

T U R N O N T H E L I G H T S !!

Squint

December 14, 2001, 01:37 PM

Well, I have to say on my GeForce 1 at home it looks fine - shady, but fine. On my Voodoo II at work it was a black square, with an offcenter grey patch and a murky yellow dotted line . . .

Steven Wittens

December 14, 2001, 05:45 PM

I can only test it on my trusty Voodoo Banshee 16MB here, but it still works smooth as a charm and the gamma is perfect :)

Here's an idea for your lightmaps: apply a slight blurring filter to them, this will remove the "staircase" effect with diagonal shadows and make the edges soft :)

As for the movement, definately weird... the gravity is lineair and the whole level feels like you're skating around on anti-gravity shoes :)

I did encounter 2 problems though: one, the text was black (I figured this wasn't normal because it wasn't very readable) and two, the cursor in the menu was clipped by the letters' quads. Pretty weird :)

Tristan

December 14, 2001, 07:21 PM

I was giving a simplified version of gravity (which is what a game would use) and note the (not taking into count other forces like air resistance) part. As Ron Frazier said with his Encarta qoute "When each jumper's turn comes, he or she takes a step away from the aircraft and begins free-falling. Within 10 to 12 seconds, the jumper reaches terminal velocity, when the air resistance equals the pull of gravity."

Neil Edelman

December 14, 2001, 08:45 PM

On this old monitor the image just looks like a black square. I can sort of make out a grey quad in the left corner. I'll have to check back on another machine.

cjc

December 27, 2001, 04:14 AM

glad we've got that all cleared up then