Submitted by Julien Houllier, posted on December 13, 2001

Image Description, by Julien Houllier

You can download and try current version of my OpenGL 3D engine, called KoolEngine v2.25, allready posted on May 16th on version 1.4.
  • I've coded a mini-raytracer for lightmaps calculation, but this one is not perfect, as you can see between some surfaces.
  • Smooth movements
  • Collision is near perfect
  • Implemented a network socket server for multi-viewing
  • Shaders
  • Aviplayer ( not showed in this demotest ) on surfaces
  • SoundCapture ( not showed in this demotest ) on surfaces
  • You can download this demo on my website : http://point.free.fr in the folder "PROJECTS"

SeeU...and enjoy KoolEngine !

Julien

zaxe

December 13, 2001, 03:45 PM

looks neat!

DirtySouthAfrican

December 13, 2001, 04:02 PM

Your gamma, or lack thereof, much resembles the amount of natural light falling on one of my 7 orifices. Can you guess which one?

Punchey

December 13, 2001, 04:31 PM

SoundCapture on surfaces? What on Earth does that mean?

Shawn Kirst

December 13, 2001, 04:54 PM

A few thoughts come to mind, though the description was vague. What if he's doing some sort of "collision-detection" against world geometry (walls, floors, etc) to create realistic "echo" effects. Sounds interesting. Or possibly blocking the sounds all together depending on the surface material. Does anyone know of anything like this that already exists? I haven't done too much research into realistic sound effects in a game environment.

Lars Birkemose

December 13, 2001, 05:36 PM

I done think it has been used in games.
    To check the audio against geometry is ( for now ) a huge waste of time, simple environmental effects fully do the trick for now.
    He prolly means mapping ex different footstep sounds to different materials.

James Matthews

December 13, 2001, 05:47 PM

Hi there,

I downloaded your demo to take a look and all I could see was the skybox although the scene rendered very briefly before disappearing. The demo ran at about 1fps on my GeForce2 GTS, PIII-933, 256 RAM...

The IOTD looks good though :)

Later,

James.

RoastBeef

December 13, 2001, 05:50 PM

It probably looks amazing; too bad I can't see it. Maybe if I crank up the gamma correction in Windows...

Garett Bass

December 13, 2001, 06:12 PM

Looks great! It ran fine on my system with no need for gamma adjustment. I'd prefer the movement be a little faster tho :)

WindowsXP Pro
    PIII650 @800HMz
    1GB RAM
    GeForce 2 MX400

Tristan

December 13, 2001, 07:48 PM

Nice demo, but three things:

2. You may wish to have a look into modeling some of the collision detection with the player usings bounding ellipsoids around the player, so that things like walking up stairs looks smoother.

3. You can cut across corners of things. You may wish to look into anticipating collisions, instead of just moving the player and seeing if the player goes inside the wall or not.

Well otherwise the demo looks pretty sweet. Keep up the good work.

Octopussy

December 13, 2001, 07:57 PM

Looks smooth on mine too ( Duron 750 / 256Mo / TNT2 ), except for very low brightness also experienced by others..

IMO, forward/backward controls really sucks..

Except for this, your demo is quite well.

Alexis.

goltrpoat

December 13, 2001, 08:12 PM

Seven? I think you might be lacking an eye or a nostril.

Point

December 13, 2001, 08:25 PM

Well, soundcapture on surface, is just a grab of the audio spectrum in realtime, directly on surfaces in a scene. It has been used in a prog I made for a party.

Point

December 13, 2001, 08:26 PM

Yes, you have to download and install the latest version of your video adapter drivers. For NVidia based, please use latest Detonator to ensure best performances !

Point

December 13, 2001, 08:31 PM

Thanks everybody,

I'll try to make a module for adjustment of Gamma correction !

Mattman

December 13, 2001, 08:46 PM

I personally have 9 orifices :-P

EGreg

December 13, 2001, 09:00 PM

I just heard the Tristan prelude. Swheet stuff, man. That Tristan chord kind gets me, right here........ no, here. Yeah :)

-Greg

EGreg

December 13, 2001, 09:02 PM

Can you tell me where you got that scene's info?

-Greg

Point

December 13, 2001, 09:18 PM

which info ?

Spanky

December 13, 2001, 10:28 PM

Ran nicely on my system as well
    Celeron 500/P3 Board
    256 RAM
    Radeon 8500
    Win2K Pro

The movement, as others have stated, was a little wierd but it is just something to work on. Its nice to see completion of things.

Spanky

MeatRoaf

December 13, 2001, 10:32 PM

Thief 2 is implementing full material/surface geometry fo sound, and will be extensively figured into the AI. Looks really sweet, actually.

MeatRoaf

December 13, 2001, 10:44 PM

Your demo ran fine at first(looks nice, rilly!), on my 750 Mhz, 320 MB RAM, 8MB Nvidia.

I was running around, slamming into things cuz I thought I saw an odd spot on one of the columns where the clipping was off, and about 2 full minutes after starting, I had a full system freeze and needed a reboot.
    I'll see if I can get it to happen again...

DirtySouthAfrican

December 13, 2001, 10:51 PM

1. Left ear canal
    2. Right ear canal
    3. Left nostril
    4. Right nostril
    5. Mouth
    6. Urethra
    7. Rectum

Normally ones eyes aren't orifices.

DirtySouthAfrican

December 13, 2001, 10:52 PM

Pierced nips?

MeatRoaf

December 13, 2001, 10:52 PM

Apparently, its not readily repeatable on my machine. I guess we can chalk it up to freak occurence.
    Nice job!

Jason Kozak

December 13, 2001, 10:54 PM

Now to ask a question I don't really want an answer to:
    Only one of the 7?

Craig Rennie

December 13, 2001, 11:01 PM

lol. I think he's got you there :)

Oztan

December 14, 2001, 01:21 AM

I dont mean to be mean but collision is not near perfect. Especially when you are sliding from an edge, it gives a disturbing response. Following two links might help:

Do not use the code supplied in the second one, it is just useless but the idea is good.

Another point is the smooth transition between the lightmaps. You should find a way to combine the lightmaps of adjacents polygons.

Other than that, ran smooth on my P3-800, GeForce2MX.

Hiro Protagonist

December 14, 2001, 02:37 AM

"1. Gravity means that a body will always accelerate to the ground and not travel at a constant speed (not taking into count other forces like air resistance). "

Ever heard of terminal velocity?

Gravity actually means:
    The natural force of attraction between any two massive bodies, which is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Depending on the force of attraction, and the distance you travel, it could very well appear that you were travelling at a constant speed.

Hiro Protagonist

December 14, 2001, 02:44 AM

I am getting about 1 fps on my p3-1GHz with 512 MB Ram and a GeForce2 w/64 MB RAM, and I start below the level, suspended in space. The reaction to input is so choppy that I have to alt-f4 to exit the app because I cant click on the exit. However, everything looks bright to me =)

DooMWiz

December 14, 2001, 02:48 AM

Yeah, his left ear canal usually isn't illuminated...